Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recovery to full activities prior to LL for patients over 40  (Read 2489 times)

Jerapais

• Visitor

All,
I am middle aged and considering LL. I'm 5'7" and would be happy at 5'10".  I am very athletic and physically active and don't want to sacrifice this long term.  I'd like to hear from people who have had this done and have had a year or two at least to recover.  Did you return to the exact activities that you participated in prior to LL?  Have you been able to regain 100% of your endurance, lungs, speed, agility, coordination and athletic ability?  Anything been sacrificed?
How long did it take to walk normally?  How long did it take to get back to full physical activities if you ever did?  thanks in advance! 

goodlucktomylegs

Re: Recovery to full activities prior to LL for patients over 40
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 06:28:45 AM »

All,
I am middle aged and considering LL. I'm 5'7" and would be happy at 5'10".  I am very athletic and physically active and don't want to sacrifice this long term.  I'd like to hear from people who have had this done and have had a year or two at least to recover.  Did you return to the exact activities that you participated in prior to LL?  Have you been able to regain 100% of your endurance, lungs, speed, agility, coordination and athletic ability?  Anything been sacrificed?
How long did it take to walk normally?  How long did it take to get back to full physical activities if you ever did?  thanks in advance!
Hey Man
In few seconds you will receive massive negative ansers and they will ask you why didny yo do any researchs

Russianblues

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 11:17:19 AM »

I'm 22.

I did 5cm on tibias in October 2013.

Post surgery I used hgh and test/tren/deca to attempt to regain as much of my previous ability as possible.

You might be able to run as fast as you can now in a straight line if you undergo years of physio and drugs, but, youll never regain the agility you once had.

0% chance youll be able to compete at soccer/rugby/sports, endurance running you should be fine.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 12:00:16 PM by Russianblues »

Jerapais

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 03:13:30 PM »

Thanks for the answers everyone. As for me receiving negative posts about not doing research, this is exactly why I am asking the question to the forum.  Researching before I commit to LL.  In fact, I found very little on the web about satisfaction and results years after the surgery.   So I will ask again, what outcomes has anyone experienced long after healing with regard to returning to physical activities pre-LL?
Thanks!   ;D

ub40

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 09:35:34 AM »

Thanks for the answers everyone. As for me receiving negative posts about not doing research, this is exactly why I am asking the question to the forum.  Researching before I commit to LL.  In fact, I found very little on the web about satisfaction and results years after the surgery.   So I will ask again, what outcomes has anyone experienced long after healing with regard to returning to physical activities pre-LL?
Thanks!   ;D

The thing is, there are tonnes of posts about people asking the same questions you are. Just go back a few days and you will find some, you don't really need to do any in depth research.

If you're looking to stay competitive in sports then the consensus is that you won't be 100%. But being able to run and play sports for fun is realistic after a couple of years
170-176 cm, May 2016 still consolidating

Cheez

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 07:52:03 PM »

All,

Do what I did, and simply imagine yourself with a tibia that 7.5 cm longer (or in my case 5 to 6cm, since that's what I plan). Don't you think a lot of stuff that you did your whole life will feel completely different? I think even something like driving a car, and using its pedals will feel so different that I will be really cautious the first few months driving again.

The ollies and jumps I did when skateboarding that were so "normal" for me my whole life would be completely different. All that "muscle memory" you have built your whole life for doing soprts activities needs to get an update.

Just sitting and standing up again might feel completely different, because your knees will be a lot higher than before.

Just imagine yourself doing these simple daily things.

And that's before any complications that might happen during an operation like this.

Bigfaker

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 11:59:29 AM »

Hey Jerapais,

If you don't get the negativity about your post, it's just because a lot of people on boards/forums (not just here) can be really anal about redundant posts and seeing the same questions from newbies over and over again. For example, somebody posted a really similar topic to yours just 4 days prior, so this could have been one bigger discussion instead of 2 splinters.

Anyway, your question:
I'm in my 40s now. My case is probably atypical because I had a couple of complications, but 2 years after frame removal, my (good leg) still doesn't feel quite normal. My hips, glutes and low back are still sore a lot of the time. For walking normally? That (R) leg could walk OK about 5 months after frame removal, but I still needed 1 crutch because of a weak L leg.

The aches and pains might be a little amplified for you compared to a lot of patients. When I met with Sarin, he was trying to tell me that I probably wouldn't be able to lengthen very much...saying most older guys "give up in the middle". He was wrong, though

Did you return to the exact activities that you participated in prior to LL?  Have you been able to regain 100% of your endurance, lungs, speed, agility, coordination and athletic ability?  Anything been sacrificed?
I still can't run or jump, so most sports are still a long ways off. I can teach boxing/kickboxing/martial arts -- I work with beginners and do drills myself-- but I don't compete or even spar right now. I train in weapons fighting, but need to sit down during class sometimes. My instructor set up a special corner with a stack of mats for me to rest on and "fall" on...instead of going to the ground. Most BJJ training is fine for me, but regular classes are hard to do because of the standard jogging and rolls-from-standing that are typical of jiu-jitsu warm-ups

Sex can be different for a while (as a guy). My knees felt like I was wearing pads for over a year and a half after the patellar tendons were opened. And standing on weak legs is extra tiring. So doggy: bad. Missionary: bad. Cowgirl: hope she likes, because that might be the routine for a while.

I think even something like driving a car, and using its pedals will feel so different that I will be really cautious the first few months driving again.
Just sitting and standing up again might feel completely different, because your knees will be a lot higher than before.
Driving was pretty easy. I didn't get to try until I got home, 7 weeks after frame removal. I went on the freeway the first day I got back. It's not really the lower leg or knee that moves the foot from pedal to pedal, it's the hip flexors. I haven't driven a stick since LL, though. That takes more knee flex and extension.

Riding a bike the first month?: BIG mistake!
Prev. Height: 5'-5.25"/165.7cm (Morn)
Ext.LON with Dr. Raj Sringari-Install: 12/17/13 * Lengthend: ~3"/7.6cm * Frm Rmvl 04/17/14
Diagnosd w/ Partial Non-Union: 02/09/16
Ankle Debridement Surg: 02/22/16...Rev. Nail/Bone Graft/Tenotomy-Loma Linda Med. Ctr: 05/12/16
Taylor Spatial Correction: 02/01/18
Pages: [1]   Go Up