Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just visited the Paley Institute if you have any questions feel free to ask.  (Read 1423 times)

tallerz

As the subject states, I just visited the Paley Institute if you have any questions feel free to ask me and I will be more than glad to answer them to my fullest ability.

Just want to say that after visiting the facility and speaking with a patient that is in the distraction phase that I feel much better about the procedure. I also want to note that after speaking with the staff I feel very confident that full athletic recovery is not only possible but probable if you put in the work and follow your PT regiment.

TrueSpartan

Hey tallerz I have a question for you.

Everyone who does LATN or LON emphasizes on the importance of weight bearing to fight off ballerina and to have better faster consolidation. However when people use precise they can not weight bear yet usually there outcome is just fine. Is weight bearing really important during distraction or is its importance greatly exaggerated?

tallerz

Hey tallerz I have a question for you.

Everyone who does LATN or LON emphasizes on the importance of weight bearing to fight off ballerina and to have better faster consolidation. However when people use precise they can not weight bear yet usually there outcome is just fine. Is weight bearing really important during distraction or is its importance greatly exaggerated?

Unfortunately I cannot answer this question. But my guess would be that weight bearing does help the growth of the bone and with maintaining muscle mass and flexibility in the soft tissue, and while the precise nails can only hold up to 75lbs each (according to the manufacturers) I am pretty sure they are still considered weight bearing just not 100% of body weight until the bones have consolidated past a certain point.

But just to clarify, I have not gone through the procedure and I have not spoken to doctor Paley, I had a long detailed conversation with one of the women in the office who works with and sees patients on a daily basis. She also gave me a tour of the facility, so if anyone has questions pertaining to the facility or what I discussed with this woman (we talked mostly about the recovery) I will do my best to answer and help the community like it has helped me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up