Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What exactly does Guichet Pre-Op training entail?  (Read 1986 times)

blahblah

What exactly does Guichet Pre-Op training entail?
« on: April 22, 2016, 04:54:52 PM »

For those who have gone through it, What exactly does the pre-op training entail at the center? How long is it for? and what is the purpose and goal of the training? also why does it cost about 5k?

Thanks,
Blah

ouroboros

Re: What exactly does Guichet Pre-Op training entail?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 06:02:59 PM »

^^ I want to know this too... does anyone have a breakdown of Guichet's training program?

OverrideYourGenetics

• OverrideYourGenetics.com (no PMs, please email me)
What exactly is Guichet's Pre-Op training regimen?
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 08:08:45 PM »

I would also love to know, what exactly is Guichet's Pre-Op training regimen?

I couldn't find anything on any of his websites,
My diary. Tibias+femurs 3.75+3.75cm at the Paley Institute (5'5" -> 5'8") in my late 30s.
One of the last patients to use the PRECICE 2.2 nail. I met the first STRYDE patient and I strongly recommend the new STRYDE nail instead.

Knik

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 08:14:37 PM »

You will have to run faster than Usain Bolt or he won't operate you
Looking for Pili

Body Builder

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 10:12:57 PM »

Because Guichet is very good at inventing bs to take more money.
Easily the worst doctor for LL out there considering the money he charges.

Mtall

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 10:30:13 PM »

Guichet's patients are known to recover faster than others, and that is part due to the 'tough love' that his pre and post op training entails.
It would be nice if his patients could come in here, because it would certainly give us a shot at a faster recovery.

That being said, I can't understand why anyone would rather go to him than go to a doctor who does Precice. Those clicking pains with the G-nail sound barbaric.

LLSouthAmerica

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 03:25:20 AM »

Well in my case, everything including pre op training and post op physio was included in budget. IMO, it is not absolutely necessary to do it with Guichet. Basically it is strength training using common machines in gyms focusing more on legs, that is to say high intensity 70% with low reps 3-4 or more depending in the body segment. Anyone can do it in the gym of their own country.

The reasons why us Guichet patients recover faster than others is because of the fast rate of lengthening (the fastest is 1.3 mm/day for 10 days then it slows down) and the fact that Guichet lengthens 0.5 mm to 1 cm immediately after surgery PLUS WEIGHTBEARING (biggest factor imo).
Went from 164 to 170 cm
Former Guichet nail patient

OverrideYourGenetics

Guichet vs. Paley
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 01:07:46 AM »

That being said, I can't understand why anyone would rather go to him than go to a doctor who does Precice. Those clicking pains with the G-nail sound barbaric.

I've emailed Guichet that I was deciding between his method and PRECISE2 with Paley. Here's his reply, unedited:

If you really want to decide between both technique, come in London or Milan to see my patients standing up the day of surgery and walking right away throughout the lengthening period. imagine being in wheel-chair for several months, or similarly imagine you stay in a cast for months: how strong would be your muscles after that? Can you resume directly work?

My technique is oriented toward function. It boosts healing too, as the speed of healing is 2 to 4 times faster than in any other technique, thanks to the know-how cumulated for over 30 years. The Haling index time to fuse one cm of gap), 34-35 days with other techniques, is down to 10-20 and even in some patients to 8 days per cm! I had patients stopping the lengthening and being fused a few days later, and I did not put on Internet patients jumping 2 r 5 days after the end of lengthening. But if you prefer to be in wheel-chair for months, it is your choice.

I will be pleased to present you to patients walking in Milan and London, and even taking the subway or other public transports.

I can gloss over his passive-aggressiveness at the end, but I don't understand why he compares his methods to "any other" method, and mentioned casts or patients jumping. My email was clear - I was only researching Guichet vs. Paley, nothing else.

How much worse is the distraction phase with Paley?
My diary. Tibias+femurs 3.75+3.75cm at the Paley Institute (5'5" -> 5'8") in my late 30s.
One of the last patients to use the PRECICE 2.2 nail. I met the first STRYDE patient and I strongly recommend the new STRYDE nail instead.

onemorefoot

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2017, 03:25:52 AM »

Pure crap, the Guy is hungry of money
Budget will determine my future.

LLSouthAmerica

Re: Guichet vs. Paley
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2017, 05:34:14 AM »

I've emailed Guichet that I was deciding between his method and PRECISE2 with Paley. Here's his reply, unedited:

I can gloss over his passive-aggressiveness at the end, but I don't understand why he compares his methods to "any other" method, and mentioned casts or patients jumping. My email was clear - I was only researching Guichet vs. Paley, nothing else.

How much worse is the distraction phase with Paley?

I don't understand why you want to compare specifically with Dr Paley. Considering that there were no further complications, Precise2 with Dr Paley is the same piece of metal as with any other doctor. The point of Dr Guichet is the nails are weight bearing so it doesn't matter so much your bone recovery as the nail can handle your weight. However, with Precise which is only partial weight bearing you have to support the nail with your bone formation and that is the problem because it varies a lot from patient to patient can take a little time to a lot depending of many factors (age, physical activity, gender, race, etc). What Dr. Guichet fails to mention is the backwards function of the Precise nail, and the pain during clicking with the albizzia which can go as far as requiring general anesthesia.
Went from 164 to 170 cm
Former Guichet nail patient

Mtall

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2017, 06:38:54 PM »

I don't believe he actually said "patients jumping 2-3 days after lengthening".
This is the sort of crap you should really be careful of when someone, especially a doctor, tells you.

And, to the best of my knowledge, (I might be wrong), there is no rate control, which is why patients like Unicorn888 had accidental clicks, which went all the way upto 10 cm, and now she doesn't know what to do with the 10 cm gap because she has non-union.

I've always been fearful of doctors who "sell" this surgery to you by saying things like jumping after lengthening, 8 days per cm and stuff like that. People should know that there is nothing to joke about with regards to LL. It is a serious, life changing surgery, in both a good way (it can make you happy) and a negative way too (your legs will never be as strong again).

onemorefoot

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2017, 12:14:34 AM »

I don't believe he actually said "patients jumping 2-3 days after lengthening".
This is the sort of crap you should really be careful of when someone, especially a doctor, tells you.

And, to the best of my knowledge, (I might be wrong), there is no rate control, which is why patients like Unicorn888 had accidental clicks, which went all the way upto 10 cm, and now she doesn't know what to do with the 10 cm gap because she has non-union.

I've always been fearful of doctors who "sell" this surgery to you by saying things like jumping after lengthening, 8 days per cm and stuff like that. People should know that there is nothing to joke about with regards to LL. It is a serious, life changing surgery, in both a good way (it can make you happy) and a negative way too (your legs will never be as strong again).
You have reverse mechanism with precice 2 why would you want to run after you go out of the operation?  That is the only advantage, that you can be mobile, but you are in risk of non-unions

OverrideYourGenetics

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2017, 06:35:37 AM »

I don't understand why you want to compare specifically with Dr Paley.

Because Paley and Guichet seem to be the safest and most reputable doctors.

What Dr. Guichet fails to mention is the backwards function of the Precise nail, and the pain during clicking with the albizzia which can go as far as requiring general anesthesia.

The Guichet nail is the next generation of Albizzia. How has the pain level improved?

why would you want to run after you go out of the operation?  That is the only advantage, that you can be mobile

Because being mobile means your muscles atrophy less, so you recover faster and better.

onemorefoot

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2017, 02:39:49 PM »

Because Paley and Guichet seem to be the safest and most reputable doctors.

The Guichet nail is the next generation of Albizzia. How has the pain level improved?

Because being mobile means your muscles atrophy less, so you recover faster and better.
Lets be honest, during the lengthening, if you use betzbone or Guitchet nail, you Will be more mobile than with precice but not that much, you have to be very careful becuase you can fracture the implant, so I think It is more important ti have the security that if your bone formation is bad you can correct It. I once read that if you are in external fixators for a long time, you can suffer athropy, although you are very mobile with them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up