Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New to Forum. Been thinking about LL for long time  (Read 5684 times)

boston505020

• Visitor
New to Forum. Been thinking about LL for long time
« on: April 18, 2016, 09:31:13 PM »

Hello everyone,

I am a college student who is graduating this year in May. I will start a job on Wall Street in early August. I have been thinking about LL every day since I was 17. I stand 5'8. I have always thought that I needed to be at least 5'10-5'11. My biggest issue is in regards to time. I do not know when I would have 6 months to take off from my career. I was wondering which doctor has the quickest from surgery to weight bearing. I have around 14 weeks from the time school ends till I start work. I am assuming that is way too short of a time? I would love if anyone had any advice. I am assuming the only option is to take a year off before business school unless anyone else has any other options? I have been reading the forum for a while. Thought it was finally time to make an account.

boston505020

• Visitor
Re: New to Forum. Been thinking about LL for long time
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 10:46:58 PM »

bump

meursault

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 02:37:48 AM »

You don't have enough time.
Quote from: some bitch I found on a forum
Im 5'2' and I LOVE tall men and most of the guys that asked me out were tall lol.

berkeclor123

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 03:39:12 AM »

Hello everyone,

I am a college student who is graduating this year in May. I will start a job on Wall Street in early August. I have been thinking about LL every day since I was 17. I stand 5'8. I have always thought that I needed to be at least 5'10-5'11. My biggest issue is in regards to time. I do not know when I would have 6 months to take off from my career. I was wondering which doctor has the quickest from surgery to weight bearing. I have around 14 weeks from the time school ends till I start work. I am assuming that is way too short of a time? I would love if anyone had any advice. I am assuming the only option is to take a year off before business school unless anyone else has any other options? I have been reading the forum for a while. Thought it was finally time to make an account.

1 year off is more realistic. I am taking 6-12 months off for 6-8 cm on tibias. Perhaps all externals or LON.
current height: 175 cm
wingspan: 184 cm
goal height: 183 cm

goldenegg

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 07:04:37 PM »

since you have a job on wall street you can prob afford internal femurs which should be the fastest.  if you lengthened a small amount like 5cm and had fast consolidation it may be possible, but you have no control over your consolidation rate and/or you may run into complications.  it's possible since some people recover fast, but they're rare.  you will most likely still be on crutches by the time you start your job.  unfortunately lengthening, consolidation and recovery usually takes a longer time than everyone expects. 

tallerz

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 06:20:41 PM »

I am in a similar position, I am looking to have the procedure done over the summer between my first and second year of law school. However I think that in order to lengthen 7.5cm, which can be done in 80 days post op which is about 2.66 months, in the 3-3.5 months I have off I need to accept the fact that when I go back to school I will most likely have to use a wheel chair to get from class to class and uber from my apartment to the school until I am almost ready for full weight bearing. At the best I may be able to use crutches to get around but in NYC that may be extremely difficult.

You may want to consider this option.

Also if anyone feels the aforementioned is unrealistically optimistic please share why you feel that way as I do not want to go into this process misinformed.

Thanks in advance.

berkeclor123

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2016, 11:58:35 PM »

I am in a similar position, I am looking to have the procedure done over the summer between my first and second year of law school. However I think that in order to lengthen 7.5cm, which can be done in 80 days post op which is about 2.66 months, in the 3-3.5 months I have off I need to accept the fact that when I go back to school I will most likely have to use a wheel chair to get from class to class and uber from my apartment to the school until I am almost ready for full weight bearing. At the best I may be able to use crutches to get around but in NYC that may be extremely difficult.

Also if anyone feels the aforementioned is unrealistically optimistic please share why you feel that way as I do not want to go into this process misinformed.

Thanks in advance.

That's the best case scenario. More realistically, you won't be able to lengthen at that rate. Not realistic.

tallerz

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2016, 02:47:49 AM »

That's the best case scenario. More realistically, you won't be able to lengthen at that rate. Not realistic.

Best case scenario would be the 2.66 months, right? You don't think 3-3.5 months is enough extra time?

berkeclor123

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2016, 07:20:44 PM »

Best case scenario would be the 2.66 months, right? You don't think 3-3.5 months is enough extra time?

No, you are assuming a lengthening rate that is highly unrealistic for the average person. The actual length gained in the bones is not the same as how much you turn or lengthen the rod.

Peaceout

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2016, 09:21:43 PM »

The actual length gained in the bones is not the same as how much you turn or lengthen the rod.
But usually there are not a big difference.Some people shrink like 0.4-0.5. Am i wrong?
I actually still dont know the main reason about this shrinking after lengthening is done.

tallerz

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2016, 01:19:41 AM »

No, you are assuming a lengthening rate that is highly unrealistic for the average person. The actual length gained in the bones is not the same as how much you turn or lengthen the rod.

Most doctors claim 1mm a day; 3.5 months would be at least 105 days to lengthen 7.5 cm or 75mm. How is this unrealistic?

Thatdude950

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2016, 03:44:26 AM »

Animal studies show that the faster you lengthen, the more damage is done.

berkeclor123

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2016, 06:06:20 PM »

Most doctors claim 1mm a day; 3.5 months would be at least 105 days to lengthen 7.5 cm or 75mm. How is this unrealistic?

That's the perfect scenario with no complications and such. It is possible for a best case scenario, but statistically unlikely.

AimHigh

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2016, 11:59:44 PM »

Due to lengthening pain, it took me 90 days to lengthen 57 mm on Right Femur (internal!) - i.e averaged 0.63 mm per day .
2016 5.3 cm RFem. Fitbone, 2019 8cm LFem. Precice 2.2, 2022 2.9 cm Rfem Precice 2.2

Cheez

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2016, 08:50:48 AM »

From most of the diaries here (and in "that other place"), 1mm per day is highly unlikely. Seems taking a few days off in between lengthening when the pain is getting too much seems to be commonplace.

I really wouldn't put myself under too much of a time stress. It's your health, and these things take time.

ub40

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2016, 10:18:28 AM »

From most of the diaries here (and in "that other place"), 1mm per day is highly unlikely. Seems taking a few days off in between lengthening when the pain is getting too much seems to be commonplace.

I really wouldn't put myself under too much of a time stress. It's your health, and these things take time.

X2

Don't rush these things, being unable to walk is a lot worse than being short.
170-176 cm, May 2016 still consolidating

Bigfaker

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2016, 11:30:12 AM »

Thanks in advance.
Hey tallerz,

You didn't say whether you're intending to do internals or externals...I'm assuming you mean internal femurs, which somebody else can give you advice about. If you mean LON Tibs, you (and boston) would be TOTALLY underestimating the recovery time, IMHO. Also you need extra turn time for the compression and possible pin-bending, not to mention any complications that may arise.

Also, don't forget to factor in the time you will need to spend on rehab (of not just your legs, but also possibly your core muscles), not to mention rebuilding your leg muscles after atrophy. These are actually separate things for me. I swear, sometimes I feel like going to PT and the gym make for a full-time job. So make sure you will have time for this while trying to attend classes, study, live your life.

At least you know you're going to be a temporary cripple. If I were you, I'd rent or borrow a wheelchair and try out getting around campus and doing your daily routine. Coming home after LL was a bizarre adjustment for me.

Animal studies show that the faster you lengthen, the more damage is done.
Animal LL studies? Can you tell us where you saw these?

But usually there are not a big difference.Some people shrink like 0.4-0.5. Am i wrong?
I actually still dont know the main reason about this shrinking after lengthening is done.
Hey Peaceout,
I've been meaning to get to the question you sent me. I think you are confusing atrophy (muscle shrinkage to to disuse) and the compression of the callus (from weight/walking) and the loss of turns due to pin-bending.
Prev. Height: 5'-5.25"/165.7cm (Morn)
Ext.LON with Dr. Raj Sringari-Install: 12/17/13 * Lengthend: ~3"/7.6cm * Frm Rmvl 04/17/14
Diagnosd w/ Partial Non-Union: 02/09/16
Ankle Debridement Surg: 02/22/16...Rev. Nail/Bone Graft/Tenotomy-Loma Linda Med. Ctr: 05/12/16
Taylor Spatial Correction: 02/01/18
Pages: [1]   Go Up