Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Synoste 2017  (Read 11163 times)

aspirant185

Synoste 2017
« on: April 01, 2016, 09:37:33 PM »

Hey guys,

Have you heard about this new method developed in Finnland that basically promises completely painfree LL ?
Current afternoon height: 175.5 cm
Wingspan - 182 cm
Target height 184 cm
Considering doing 4.3 cm Femurs and 4.2 cm Tibias with Dr. Milorad Mitkovic in Serbia.

CCMidwest

Re: Synoste 2017
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 09:56:38 PM »

It's an internal nail that expands at up to .5mm per day is my understanding. Apparantly it uses a proprietary polymer instead of titanium and has higher weight bearing limits. Uses an electromagnetic mechanism to rotate a mechanical gearset that extends the rod. Not sure on the lengthening limit, they wouldn't disclose that when I called...also their English was bad. They made mention that their rod is much "thinner" than the precice. My impression is that they seek to provide those with thinner bones the option of internal LL.

Sounds just like the precice otherwise. Makes me wonder how hard certain doctors will try to discourage its use.
5'7.5

aspirant185

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 10:16:55 PM »

Well, I guess if it works, doctors would just switch. If LL becomes pain-fee or near pain free, that has the potential to become a gold minen, the next breast implants thing !
Wingspan - 182 cm
Target height 184 cm
Considering doing 4.3 cm Femurs and 4.2 cm Tibias with Dr. Milorad Mitkovic in Serbia.

theuprising

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 10:29:07 PM »

Well, I guess if it works, doctors would just switch. If LL becomes pain-fee or near pain free, that has the potential to become a gold minen, the next breast implants thing !

What about this would make it pain free?

CCMidwest

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 10:35:19 PM »

They told me on the phone last year that it was painless "compared to external fixators on femurs"
5'7.5

Alittletooshort

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 10:36:22 PM »

Is 2017 the release date? What abotut the price?

spaghetti743

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2016, 01:20:20 AM »

If anyone has more information on this method or access to any articles please share.

Ghostfish

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2016, 04:56:00 AM »

Yeah! This method sounds very cool because less or little pain and more weight bearing, although lengthening seems a little slower.  So if anyone knows more about this, plz share it with us.

Thanks,

LLCaptain

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2016, 05:04:07 AM »

Heard you can do 15cm on the Synoste pain free. Please PM me and let me know if this is true or I'm pulling stuff out of my ass.

Alu

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2016, 06:01:26 AM »

Out the ass: if you're talking about in one segment, than you just shot diarrhea all over a canvas.

ub40

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2016, 07:56:26 AM »

This sounds really expensive
170-176 cm, May 2016 still consolidating

aspirant185

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2016, 08:28:55 AM »

I dont think it will be significantly more expensive than the PRECISE  nail. Especially in the short term when there will still be not enough information. Probably they will do a mark-up of 10-15% above PRECISE. Not every revolutionory product has to be so expensive. Check out the nee $35 000 Tesla that was just announced :)
Wingspan - 182 cm
Target height 184 cm

theuprising

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2016, 08:35:16 AM »

I dont think it will be significantly more expensive than the PRECISE  nail. Especially in the short term when there will still be not enough information. Probably they will do a mark-up of 10-15% above PRECISE. Not every revolutionory product has to be so expensive. Check out the nee $35 000 Tesla that was just announced :)

Can you explain how this nail is revolutionary compared to fitbone and precise. What are the main features that set it apart?

CCMidwest

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2016, 02:06:32 PM »

This is the summary of the notes I took when I spoke to their rep last year:

1. Should be released in 2017, depending on certain production and regulatory issues.

2. Not yet approved for use in the U.S. thanks to various regulatory agency issues. (doesn't mean it couldn't be used in the U.S. though)

3. Painless is defined as A: Being less painful than external fixators, especially of the femur. B: The actual lengthening process itself is painless. (they talked alot about keeping kids out of externals)

4. The Synoste is being developed to compete with externals. The Synoste is smaller, lighter, more rigid, and has better weight bearing than other internals, allowing it to be used in place of externals when other internal devices would not work.

5. Uses an electromagnetic mechanism to drive a mechanical gearset that expands the rod up to 7cm. (the rep later said more than 7cm is possible, but refused to give me an explanation)

6. Up to .5mm expansion per day.

7. Has a user controlled device for lengthening that is "fool proof" compared to other devices. (was it programdude that had problems with the magnet not activating through his muscular legs?)

8. Allows users to lengthen at home, thanks to user friendly fool proof design. They reiterated several times that it was at doctor's discretion on at home LL.

9. Would not disclose price, said it was "wholesale to doctors only"

10. Cosmetic use if the doctor so chooses.

My personal opinion:

Cutting open your legs, shoving a rod into the bone marrow channel of your bone, cutting your bone in half, then using that telescopic rod to stretch the bone, nerves, ligaments, tendons, and muscles...will NEVER be painless.

This Synoste is the exact same principal as the Precice or any other internal. Apparently it is just made "better" than others. Time will tell I suppose.

Probably less painful and far more convenient than externals, especially on children, but certainly not painless. (I have young kids, I can't imagine externals on them...heartbreaking)

Edit: Y'all take this information for what it is worth. Stuff changes during production ya know. I struggled with his accent and poor English as well. (although mad props to him, he said he spoke several languages. Most American's can barely speak one)
5'7.5

Peaceout

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2016, 03:04:16 PM »

https://vimeo.com/138392643
I think they mean less painful compared to externals.
I couldnt understand some parts,still im not quite sure tho.
But there is no way for this procedure to be pain-free afterall.

Ozymandias

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2016, 08:33:05 PM »

My personal opinion:

Cutting open your legs, shoving a rod into the bone marrow channel of your bone, cutting your bone in half, then using that telescopic rod to stretch the bone, nerves, ligaments, tendons, and muscles...will NEVER be painless.

This Synoste is the exact same principal as the Precice or any other internal. Apparently it is just made "better" than others. Time will tell I suppose.

Probably less painful and far more convenient than externals, especially on children, but certainly not painless. (I have young kids, I can't imagine externals on them...heartbreaking)

100% agree with this. Don't know how a different nail can't eliminate the pain of having your limbs slowly elongated. I think that the Precice and Fitbone as already as "painless" as a nail can be. And for the nail strength, both the Precice and Fitbone would be probably perfectly weight-bearing if it wasn't for the fixation screws. I'm curious about the screws of this Synoste nail.

And honestly, I would also be quite scared about using a first generation product. Just remember the problems of the Fitbone I.

programdude

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2016, 04:24:42 PM »

This seems kind of deceptive guys.

What I mean by that is that I think they are referring to the actual lengthening process.

Take it from me, the lengthening(unless done in large amounts in a single day to prevent pre consolidation) is not painful with the precise at all- it is the endless aches, the surgery trauma(which will always be a factor), the intense stretching you need to do daily, the mental suffering of being away from home/crippled for so long(not to be underestimated), that actually wear on you and make LL a struggle.

Dr. Paley Patient- Surgery completed successfully on July 22nd
My Diary for those who want a real play by play to know what to expect:http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=733.0

Starting height: 5 8
End Height-:5 11 +

maximize

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2016, 07:31:01 PM »

This would be fantastic if:

1) It is a full weight bearing nail. Currently the only full weight bearing nail on the market is Guichet's.
2) It can lengthen slower than a typical nail. Slower lengthening means more time for your tissues to gradually stretch and repair. On the negative side, slower lengthening increases risk of premature consolidation. I'm not sure how many people will prematurely consolidate doing femurs at 0.5 mm per day.
3) Surgeons that take it on utilize it with the reverse planning method advocated by the Fitbone doctors for ensuring good post-op alignments.

No matter how it turns out it's great news to potentially have a new nail coming on the market pushing the market forward.

Cheez

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2016, 03:35:45 PM »

Until someones releases a nail that is a fraction of the price of the other options, why should I even care?

otaku123

• Visitor
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2016, 01:59:28 AM »

Does full weight bearing mean you can walk from day 1? That's what it says on their website.

김규민

• Visitor
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2018, 01:51:06 PM »

How much is synoste price?

midnightninja

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2018, 02:27:13 PM »

it doesn't exist.
Pages: [1]   Go Up