Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Why everyone wanna be 6'+? (and not being dutch or swedish or norweigian)  (Read 14372 times)

TIBIKE200

I really dont get it... I mean, I rarely see people this tall (And I have met people from around the world). Mostly I see guys 175-180/1 range).

I have seen only two or three 185+ guys in my life.
I learned some stuff during this time

Nightwish

I really dont get it... I mean, I rarely see people this tall (And I have met people from around the world). Mostly I see guys 175-180/1 range).

I have seen only two or three 185+ guys in my life.

You what?!

At university I lived with two 6ft people, one 6'4 and one 6'6... Two of my close friends from where I grew up are 6'2...
Height: 166cm
Wingspan: 168cm
Goal: 172cm
Facial Hair Growth: Pre puberty
Dance Move: The sprinkler

TIBIKE200

You what?!

At university I lived with two 6ft people, one 6'4 and one 6'6... Two of my close friends from where I grew up are 6'2...

I am in a class of 360 people. There was only one who was 190cm tall.
 I really think that people exaggerate the heights....

Nightwish

A lot of people exaggerate their height. Being over 185 is very tall, but it's not a once in a blue moon thing! I will see someone who is 190 everyday on the tube to work, same way I'll see someone who's 160.

TIBIKE200

Dont know man.. I mostly see people at the 175-180 range... Even when I go out clubbing... I dont reckon seeing somoene who is 190 more than once or twice... I only one time saw a 200 guy. I take the bus everyday.... I know that these guys exist... But I think that people here really really REALLY exaggerate on their quantity...

Nightwish

Most people are in the 175-180 range. But there's an absolute ton of people at either side of that. Of course, I live in London where there's an absolute ton of people, so see wider sample daily.

CCMidwest

I am friends with a 6'5 guy, and my cousin is 6'7.

But yeah, I agree the average is correct at 5'10

My business partner is 6', and he is not much taller than me when I am in boots. That's why I wanna be 5'9-5'10, because 80%+ of men would be within 2" of me either way. (shorter or taller)
5'7.5

TIBIKE200

Most people are in the 175-180 range. But there's an absolute ton of people at either side of that. Of course, I live in London where there's an absolute ton of people, so see wider sample daily.

I think it has to do with your starting height of 166. I am 171.. I believe that at my height I can really see that there arent so many super tall dudes as this forum and the other one are trying to say that there are... I have my "club shoes" which make me 175 tall. With them I feel at the low end of average actually. And once I am 175 tall, some people that I thought were maybe 185+ actually turned out to be much much shorter.

Nightwish

I think it has to do with your starting height of 166. I am 171.. I believe that at my height I can really see that there arent so many super tall dudes as this forum and the other one are trying to say that there are... I have my "club shoes" which make me 175 tall. With them I feel at the low end of average actually. And once I am 175 tall, some people that I thought were maybe 185+ actually turned out to be much much shorter.

Don't be a condescending prick. Statistically around one in every ten adult males (UK) are over 185... That backs up what I see.

TIBIKE200

Don't be a condescending prick. Statistically around one in every ten adult males (UK) are over 185... That backs up what I see.

I not being a prick. When I wear the shoes that give me a 4cm boost, people around me look much much shorter. Again, I rarely see anyone at 185 or above. And this is why I dont get it why everyone want to be 6' or more so much...

Bruno Mars

Statistically speaking, if you are 5'11, you are taller than 75% white male in the age of 23-30 in US. Many people lie about their height.
5'10 would be in the 50th percentile which is dead on average. Statistic never lies, only people do :D

TIBIKE200

Bodybuilder from old forum actually said the reason (and he is 100% correct). 6' in the states or other countries that use it is wanted because it has the number 6.. Just like in countries using the metric system everyone wanna be 180 because it has the number 8. It has nothing to do with "actual height" but with everyone heads... No one is going to say "omg I wanna be 183 so bad! (And that 6'). Every wonder why 179 doesnt sound as great as 180 but 178 actually sounds better?

aspirant185

I think that since you are living in the Middle East its perfectly normal to have only one person that is 190 cm. Come study in Western Europe ( German speaking Europe + Holland/Belgium + Nordic countries) or to Eastern Europe (Serbia, Bosnia, Croatia, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Poland, Russia, Ukraine) and you will be seeing plenty of 185+ guys
Current afternoon height: 175.5 cm
Wingspan - 182 cm
Target height 184 cm
Considering doing 4.3 cm Femurs and 4.2 cm Tibias with Dr. Milorad Mitkovic in Serbia.

Alu

He resides in Italy at the moment.

TIBIKE200

I think that since you are living in the Middle East its perfectly normal to have only one person that is 190 cm. Come study in Western Europe ( German speaking Europe + Holland/Belgium + Nordic countries) or to Eastern Europe (Serbia, Bosnia, Croatia, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Poland, Russia, Ukraine) and you will be seeing plenty of 185+ guys

In Israel average height is 176-177 (not so much shorter than the rest of the western world). I dont know how other ME countries look like since as an Israeli I am not allowed to visit them.
 In northern Italy the average height is 176 like Israel. I have seen many eastern and germanic people and I am sorry, 185+ is rare.
 My best exaple for everyone's exaggeration is "Iwannabegiant" diary which says that once he got to be 178-179 (ater 4.5cm) in Sweden, he is completely happy.

You guys need to accept the fact the you are imagining that there are planty of 6'+ even though there aren't.

axelf

In Israel average height is 176-177 (not so much shorter than the rest of the western world). I dont know how other ME countries look like since as an Israeli I am not allowed to visit them.
 In northern Italy the average height is 176 like Israel. I have seen many eastern and germanic people and I am sorry, 185+ is rare.
 My best exaple for everyone's exaggeration is "Iwannabegiant" diary which says that once he got to be 178-179 (ater 4.5cm) in Sweden, he is completely happy.

You guys need to accept the fact the you are imagining that there are planty of 6'+ even though there aren't.

Sorry for jumping in here but the way you are reasoning is just screaming "I want to by right about that people from Northern and Eastern Europe are not that tall so I can live better with my own height". I see the motivation but deluding yourself is probably not the best strategy longterm. It seems  to be a new trend on this forum to deny the fact that some countries' populations are really tall and their younger generation grow even taller. Have you seen Obama's daughters by the way?  ;D

Where is your evidence? You have seen "many eastern and germanic people"... but have never been to one of those countries like Germany, the Netherlands, Sweden, Serbia? Nonetheless you claim that "185+ is rare". 
And on top of that you just conclude from one Swedish patient whose diary says he is happy with 178-179 that there aren't a lot of people taller than that over there?

I even have Asian (Chinese, Korean and Vietnamese) friends (under 25) who are 175-185 (grew up in Western Europe in well situated families). I know countless men 185+ in my social circle. I know enough women over 175.

Just spend one day at a University (maybe even business school) in those countries and you'll see the truth.

I'm not saying that you have to be as tall as XYZ cm to be happy. You don't. I'm just telling you that denying reality won't make you happy.

chineseguy

if you go to N China or S Korea , you will notice a few of 180 cm plus guys young people. They look so strong. old people in n china and s korea are so small.

TIBIKE200

Sorry for jumping in here but the way you are reasoning is just screaming "I want to by right about that people from Northern and Eastern Europe are not that tall so I can live better with my own height". I see the motivation but deluding yourself is probably not the best strategy longterm. It seems  to be a new trend on this forum to deny the fact that some countries' populations are really tall and their younger generation grow even taller. Have you seen Obama's daughters by the way?  ;D

Where is your evidence? You have seen "many eastern and germanic people"... but have never been to one of those countries like Germany, the Netherlands, Sweden, Serbia? Nonetheless you claim that "185+ is rare". 
And on top of that you just conclude from one Swedish patient whose diary says he is happy with 178-179 that there aren't a lot of people taller than that over there?

I even have Asian (Chinese, Korean and Vietnamese) friends (under 25) who are 175-185 (grew up in Western Europe in well situated families). I know countless men 185+ in my social circle. I know enough women over 175.

Just spend one day at a University (maybe even business school) in those countries and you'll see the truth.

I'm not saying that you have to be as tall as XYZ cm to be happy. You don't. I'm just telling you that denying reality won't make you happy.

I am noy denying reality. I am not a serb nor a dane nor a dutch. I am an Israeli so I dont expect to be as tall as a Dutch. I have been going to university for 6 years. And again, I rarely see 185+ guys. You want to believe that everyone are getting much taller (Even though that's not the case according to statistics) be my guest.

Knik

6' in USA is like 180 cm in Europe, this is their psychological barreer
Looking for Pili

czvw

thats too tall for me. I would be happy to have 1,75.

Alittletooshort

I am noy denying reality. I am not a serb nor a dane nor a dutch. I am an Israeli so I dont expect to be as tall as a Dutch. I have been going to university for 6 years. And again, I rarely see 185+ guys. You want to believe that everyone are getting much taller (Even though that's not the case according to statistics) be my guest.
It's a fact that the younger generation is taller than their parents, not by a large amount but probably by something like 2cm's.
I read that a third of the young german (male) population is 185+, I can't find the article but If I do, I'll post it for the german speaking ppl here.
All I can tell you is that 175 is just as common as 185 in central or northern european countries with an average of 180 or above. So if you walk on the streets you'll see tons of 185+ guys, I can't imagine that you think this is a rare height. Rare heights start somehwere around 2m+ but everything below that is fairly common.

CCMidwest

2009 Swiss Study showing 187cm is 90th percentile:

http://www.smw.ch/content/smw-2011-13238/

Are the Swiss taller or shorter than Germans?

The only German study I could find showed 180cm as 90th percentile, as measured in 18-20 year old soldiers, but was from 2001. (I also had to pay $42 for it, so no link because copyright)

Edit: Corrected to 90th percentile

Edit #2: So the Swiss, a central European country, has an average of 178cm. (about 5'10 for us imperial a-holes)
5'7.5

CCMidwest

"...due to the stable environment of Central and Northern European countries, the genetic endpoint of the population has been reached, at a mean level of 178–180 cm" - that there swiss study

Gosh, this study is just rich with non-anecdotal information on the height of Europeans.

Height neurosis is a b*tch, no?
5'7.5

Alittletooshort

2009 Swiss Study showing 187cm is 90th percentile:

http://www.smw.ch/content/smw-2011-13238/

Are the Swiss taller or shorter than Germans?

The only German study I could find showed 180cm as 90th percentile, as measured in 18-20 year old soldiers, but was from 2001. (I also had to pay $42 for it, so no link because copyright)

Edit: Corrected to 90th percentile

Edit #2: So the Swiss, a central European country, has an average of 178cm. (about 5'10 for us imperial a-holes)
The swiss are shorter because the french and italian part drag them down. Just use wikipedia and you'll see that the german average is 180.
The average for males up to the age of 37 in urban areas is 180.6 so the average for white germans is even higher. Cities are melting pots and have a very large numbers of forgeiners (especially from turky, the middle east and north africa).
The averager for white germans therefore must be at least 1-2cm's above that (like in the us), that's only my guess though.

Check the stuff yourself:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Average_height_around_the_world

TIBIKE200

Btw, I dont know if anyone saw in the title that I asked the question about people not from the super tall races.

endomorphisme

i can tell you that at 183 cm i don't feel happy, and i live in France where the average height for white young men is 178-180 cm.
185 cm is the bare minimum for me, my goal is 188 cm

Peaceout

i can tell you that at 183 cm i don't feel happy, and i live in France where the average height for white young men is 178-180 cm.
185 cm is the bare minimum for me, my goal is 188 cm
Its because you are greedy and very insecure.

CCMidwest

The swiss are shorter because the french and italian part drag them down. Just use wikipedia and you'll see that the german average is 180.
The average for males up to the age of 37 in urban areas is 180.6 so the average for white germans is even higher. Cities are melting pots and have a very large numbers of forgeiners (especially from turky, the middle east and north africa).
The averager for white germans therefore must be at least 1-2cm's above that (like in the us), that's only my guess though.

Check the stuff yourself:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Average_height_around_the_world

Still off topic, sorry Tbike!

Alittletooshort, I see your point. If you go back to the actual source studies that wikipedia uses, you can see that the non-self reported heights (taken from military recruits) actually dates back from the 1980's.

So that "2007" study of height is using data from over 30 years ago.
5'7.5

axelf

Still off topic, sorry Tbike!

Alittletooshort, I see your point. If you go back to the actual source studies that wikipedia uses, you can see that the non-self reported heights (taken from military recruits) actually dates back from the 1980's.

So that "2007" study of height is using data from over 30 years ago.

Why don't you just believe people coming from the "tall" areas? Again, you don't want it to be true.

By the way, tell you a quick story ;-) When I had a consultation with a German LL doctor I was having lunch at Macdonalds with his assistant. She told me  that a lot of patients that are German are about 175cm which was true for the younger patients especially. And she told me she couldn't really understand why they would do it. Smalltalk went on and we talked about her son who just turned 16 at this point. I asked her how tell he was and she asnwered 184-185cm. And I was like: Now you know why  they're doing it  ;D

By the way: 180cm is not considered tall in Germany/ Netherlands or Scandinavia for a man. In particuliar for the young generation.

So just accept it: people in some parts of the world are quite tall and they even get taller.

TIBIKE200

Is heightism really that bad in germany? Btw what is average Woman's height there?

endomorphisme

I am French but I went in Germany a couple of times , I don't think they are really tall, at 183 cm I felt average even among young men.
In some areas they might be tall.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up