Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question regarding one's physical ability & strength and its impact on recovery  (Read 2791 times)

UnknownOrigin

• Visitor

This post is in relation to a 4-5cm cosmetic femur lengthening doing internal nails (probably with Guichet if I go through with it)

If a potential LL patient had above average muscular leg strength (free weight squat 150kg+ etc) & muscular size development, would this in any way make the recovery aspect of LL "smoother" so-to-speak? I ask this due to the fact that whilst yes the femur bones are broken, would the muscular strength and mass help support you, especially as the nail is weight bearing? Or am I totally wrong?

(and yes I know i'd lose strength & mass in my legs during the process, but I'm positive that could return due to the fact 4-5cm is conservative and statistically shouldn't cause too many complications long term, if done right)

Thanks for reading.

Thatdude950

You're positive you can recover based on what? We haven't seen a single post LL 120kg + squat. Not one. In fact I think the biggest is like an awkward 70kg. You would be making history if you did LL and then got back into powerlifting successfully. Good luck.

UnknownOrigin

• Visitor

Okay apologies if I came off as arrogant by saying I could recover fully, that wasn't my intention.

I do not intend on powerlifting or bodybuilding competitively at all, I'd just want to be in decent shape, but I would intend on building my legs back up and I don't see why I couldn't get back up to squatting somewhere decent after consolidation, if I trained smart.

This is using the theory of the 15% rule for lengthening being the safer amount.

What I don't understand is why lengthening a bone to a non-extreme measure, would prevent someone building muscle strength back up to a decent level. This is of course assuming no nerve issues etc.

Just trying to learn a bit more about it all..

Nightwish

Would more muscle not mean more resistance?
Height: 166cm
Wingspan: 168cm
Goal: 172cm
Facial Hair Growth: Pre puberty
Dance Move: The sprinkler

Alittletooshort

Okay apologies if I came off as arrogant by saying I could recover fully, that wasn't my intention.

I do not intend on powerlifting or bodybuilding competitively at all, I'd just want to be in decent shape, but I would intend on building my legs back up and I don't see why I couldn't get back up to squatting somewhere decent after consolidation, if I trained smart.

This is using the theory of the 15% rule for lengthening being the safer amount.

What I don't understand is why lengthening a bone to a non-extreme measure, would prevent someone building muscle strength back up to a decent level. This is of course assuming no nerve issues etc.

You will lose strength in your legs due to the lengthening, simply due to the changed bio mechanics. The longer your femurs are the "weaker" they get, your ability to do heavy squats (or leg press) will suffer, regardless of how much muscle mass you regain afterwars. Longer femurs always mean less explosiveness, world class sprinters also have shorter femurs compared to their tibias.
You will probably also lose some endurance because of your stretched tendons but you can compensate it by working out more. A reasonable amount with a dr. like  Guichet sounds fairly safe though, you should get back most of your atheltism (besides squats, leg press and explosiveness, you will inevitably lose some of this).

TIBIKE200

Actually, Guichet is the only doctor that reccomends building muscles before LL. ALL OTHER DOCTORS say it's better to have small leg muscles when lengthening... What matters is flexibility and not big muscles which in turn will cause more resistence to the elongation... I believe this "pre-op" has more to do with gaining more money than actually helping the patient...
I learned some stuff during this time

Thatdude950

I don't think you were being arrogant at all - But I think you were being a little overly hopeful and naive. If you like weightlifting this isn't the surgery for you - like I said, of all the diaries here and on the old forum we haven't seen a single decent post LL squat or deadlift. Maybe it's possible and you'll be the first - but you'll be taking a giant risk. Just wanted to give you a dose of reality.

KrP1

You will have a harder time with the lengthening if you have muscular legs.  And i think that thr stretched muscle has some permanent loss of strength. But will see. I have started to train my legs with very low weight. Maybe in one year  i could tell if they regain their stregnth
Pages: [1]   Go Up