Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Used Precise 2 Nails  (Read 3515 times)

Sudheer

Used Precise 2 Nails
« on: March 09, 2016, 10:28:15 PM »

This might sound slightly silly to some folks, but I want to know if someone who's bought Precise 2 Nails can sell them to fellow LL'er at, say, cheaper price. I know that the nails would have to stay in for 2 years before they're taken out for the bone to fully consolidate, but perhaps someone who's done Precise 2 in 2013 or 2014 would have their nails removed at some point in 2016. I don't see a reason why they can't help fellow LL'er who cannot afford Precise 2. I think it's a win win situation because, let's say you decide to sell it for half the price, you've saved half of the cost yourself. Thoughts anyone ?

toafrica

Re: Used Precise 2 Nails
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 11:02:22 PM »

Intramedullary nails CANNOT be re-used, unless you want to risk a dramatic infection or complete rejection of the material from the body, that would most likely make you lose your leg.

In the hypothetical case that the nail still works after removal, they'd need to be reconditioned by the manufacturer (Ellipse), if that's even possible. And I highly doubt that a second hand nail + reacconditioning would be any cheaper than a new nail.

Don't bargain on those things, it's your health. Just get the money to do it or don't do it at all

ouroboros

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 11:49:45 PM »

This is one of the reasons why it's scary to trust a shady doctor in countries like india/russia to install intramedullary nails(LON/LATN) of any kind..... word of caution

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 12:29:04 AM »

External fixators can be cleaned and reused by a different patient, but I don't think that's the case with internal nails.
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

Sudheer

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 08:10:30 AM »

I got to know that externals can be reused, but haven't seen any posts about internals, which is why I posted this idea on the forum.

Thank you all for your prompt response.

TRS

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 09:43:28 AM »

This is what Dr.Birkholtz mentioned in a previous thread: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=799.msg19687#msg19687
The issue is not sterility, but reliability of the reused nail. The mechanical stresses imparted due to limb lengthening are massive and the nail will possibly behave unpredictably if reused. Nobody knows whether the gear mechanism can withstand the first distraction, then compression and re-distraction. The problem is if it was done as a cost-saving measure it probably means theres a limited budget. This means that if the nail fails with the second leg and there is no money for a new nail, then the patient will be left with a discrepancy in length between the two sides of 6-7 cm. This is dangerous and not acceptable.
If cost is a major factor, rather shoot for exfix only tibias. The cost is around half the price of precice femurs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up