Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question on a smaller nail, and which limb should be done first.  (Read 1509 times)

applesandoranges

Question on a smaller nail, and which limb should be done first.
« on: February 19, 2016, 02:24:53 AM »

1) Is there an internal nail for the femur that is a little smaller than the regular ones? I would be interested in getting femurs lengthened about 3 to 3.5cm. I know this is on the smaller side compared to others' desired lengths, but I would be more inclined to lengthen a smaller amount if the nail could be small enough to lengthen the femur more on the mechanical axis by being drilled through the bone at an angle. I noticed x-rays here of internal nails that penetrate more or less the complete width of the bone, making it completely an anatomical axis lengthening.

2) If one wanted to lengthen both the femur and tibia/fibula, which part is recommended to do first? My gut feeling is to do femurs first because it just makes sense to me that you should lengthen from limbs closest to you first (femurs), and then make adjustments to the first lengthening with the tibia/fibula. Yet, I've seen some people do tibia/fibula first. Any thoughts on this?

PatientZero

Re: Question on a smaller nail, and which limb should be done first.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 03:19:45 AM »

1. Betzbone, Precise, and Fitbone comes in at least 2 sizes. Average sizes are usually between 10-13mm. Precise has a 8.5mm.  If you only want 3-3.5cm, not sure why you're worried about lengthening along the anatomical axis if alignment issues are minimized at your desired distraction.

2. If you do tibia/fibula, you break 4 bones vs 2 femurs. Tibias can't tolerate the same amount of lengthening, and the achilles has proven to be especially problematic. Most people will only do one surgery in their lifetime, so my suggestion is always internal femurs unless you have freakishly long femurs vs tibias, or if you're able to fix a deformity and also lengthen your tibias at the same time.
Real patient doing internal femur LL, not a pretender.

applesandoranges

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 05:31:35 AM »

1. Betzbone, Precise, and Fitbone comes in at least 2 sizes. Average sizes are usually between 10-13mm. Precise has a 8.5mm.  If you only want 3-3.5cm, not sure why you're worried about lengthening along the anatomical axis if alignment issues are minimized at your desired distraction.

2. If you do tibia/fibula, you break 4 bones vs 2 femurs. Tibias can't tolerate the same amount of lengthening, and the achilles has proven to be especially problematic. Most people will only do one surgery in their lifetime, so my suggestion is always internal femurs unless you have freakishly long femurs vs tibias, or if you're able to fix a deformity and also lengthen your tibias at the same time.

Thanks I didn't know Precice had a nail that small and it looks reliable from the little research I've done. This is something I have to ask the doctors about though for sure.

Are alignment issues really minimized if lengthened 3-3.5cm? Dr. Paley and other doctors report that for every 1 centimeter lengthened, there's a lateral shift of the mechanical axis of 1mm. Honestly, I think 3 to 3.5mm on each leg is noticeable. When I wear shoe lifts, I notice there's a slight lateral shift as well, and it does not feel the same when walking barefoot. I actually feel more discomfort on the inner knee when I run or stay in the lifts for a long time.

Having already experienced the slight lateral shift with my shoe lifts, I can probably deal with the slightly noticeable discomfort, but I probably wouldn't be playing sports as intensely as I could. That's why if at all possible I would prefer minimizing any chance of a lateral shift. So a 3.5cm gain with an internal nail lengthened at an angle in alignment of the mechanical axis would be amazing for me. I would have to ask one of the doctors about this in due time.

For the tibia/fibula, I would again be very conservative in lengthening. I would probably do 3cm maximum. I am assuming that is a safe amount from what I have read on this forum so far. Actually I did a consultation with a doctor 2 years ago, and he recommended I do 6cm. Like you said, I want to avoid any complications with the Achilles tendon, so 3cm would be my maximum length.

I do have thoughts whether lengthening tibia/fibula 3cm comes with other subtle complications that would not even make it worth it to be 3cm taller in this segment. I wonder whether there are subtle permanent defects for people who have even done 1cm, 2cm , or 3cm. Does having an osteotomy in itself have an effect for the tibia/fibula? The femur bone I can trust that it will heal completely at only 3-3.5cm, but the lower legs seem to be a bit more delicate considering the smaller fibula and tibia bones, ankle, and feet are all connected. Does the fibula bone ever fully recover after osteotomy? I would imagine at 3cm, the fibula bone would fully consolidate, but would it still support your weight like it did before?

PatientZero

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 12:16:57 AM »

Are alignment issues really minimized if lengthened 3-3.5cm?

Of course theres changes to your biomechanics even with 3-3.5cm, but I think your worries about misalignment from lengthening along the anatomical axis are trivial. Talk to your doc  :P

Does the fibula bone ever fully recover after osteotomy? I would imagine at 3cm, the fibula bone would fully consolidate, but would it still support your weight like it did before?

Whether 3cm or 10cm, your bones will be just as strong as before when 100% consolidated.
Real patient doing internal femur LL, not a pretender.
Pages: [1]   Go Up