Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Questions about LL  (Read 10149 times)

gyogeul

• Visitor
Questions about LL
« on: February 11, 2016, 03:50:49 AM »

This forum has been a great resource and has answered many of my questions.  I still have some to ask and since I can't make a thread on my own, I'll post my question in two other threads similar to hopefully get a faster response.

Some of my questions, such as my first one, make reference to the FAQ.

1.  In the FAQ it says that most surgeons will not accept a patient above 175cm.  I'm assuming there's a reason for this.  Are complications more likely to ensue for a person above 175cm?

2.  I'm currently 18 and stand at 5'7. 5 ft/171. 4 cm.  I am not considering getting the surgery now, but sometime after my growth plates have fused completely. I expect that by the time I stop growing, I will be at 5'10 ft/178cm.  My desired height is 6'3 ft/190. 5cm.  I would need 13cm to reach this height from 5'10 ft.  However in another thread as well as the FAQ it suggests that 12cm is the limit (albeit initially it said 5cm for cosmetic reasons, so I'm not sure if the same is for 12cm).  Would 1cm above the limit be an issue?

3.  I read a diary of a man who lengthened 7. 5cm/5'3inches to 5'9 feet.  In the diary he states the surgery was successful with no complications, however he projects his athletic ability is capped at 80%.  Is this likely to happen to people who go above the 5/6cm limit, or is it expected that people who stay within the limits will return to their normal height ability?

4.  In the FAQ, it states that the bone can regenerate at a rate of 1mm per day, as well as up to 12cm in length to be added.   A post I read on another LL forum says that lengthening more than 0.66cm will "destroy" the body.  Can someone provide a counter, as well as some evidence that supports either or so I have a guide on which one is more accurate?

5.  I've read that added height in the femur can slightly decompress the amount that was lengthened.  Is this true? And if so, how much length is expected to be compromised?

6.  In diaries I've read that in recovery they stay in a "house" with other patients.  I also read that a particular diet is required for proper healing.  Since patients are essentially living in the sapce while recovering, I assume that the costs of surgery not only cover the operation and the physical therapy, but as well as the diet? If not, what exactly is covered by the surgery and what else needs to be paid in order to recover best?

7.  Do two surgeries (femur and tibia--not at the same time) pose a higher risk for complications? Since I'm likely to need both to reach my desired height.

8.  Are there certain physical conditions that are not recommended to get this surgery? I have a weak patella in my right knee.  According to a physical therapist I went to, it is something that's genetic and I will have to live with, although exercises can strengthen it to varying extents. 

edit:  link
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 06:37:49 AM by Admin »

crimsontide

Re: Questions about LL
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 04:15:16 AM »

you need to see a psychiatrist, not a ll dr

5'10 and considering this surgery after  all the bad diaries?

and 13 cm???

ouroboros

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 04:20:31 AM »

This forum has been a great resource and has answered many of my questions.  I still have some to ask and since I can't make a thread on my own, I'll post my question in two other threads similar to hopefully get a faster response.

Some of my questions, such as my first one, make reference to the FAQ 

1.  In the FAQ it says that most surgeons will not accept a patient above 175cm.  I'm assuming there's a reason for this.  Are complications more likely to ensue for a person above 175cm?

2.  I'm currently 18 and stand at 5'7. 5 ft/171. 4 cm.  I am not considering getting the surgery now, but sometime after my growth plates have fused completely. I expect that by the time I stop growing, I will be at 5'10 ft/178cm.  My desired height is 6'3 ft/190. 5cm.  I would need 13cm to reach this height from 5'10 ft.  However in another thread as well as the FAQ it suggests that 12cm is the limit (albeit initially it said 5cm for cosmetic reasons, so I'm not sure if the same is for 12cm).  Would 1cm above the limit be an issue?

3.  I read a diary of a man who lengthened 7. 5cm/5'3inches to 5'9 feet.  In the diary he states the surgery was successful with no complications, however he projects his athletic ability is capped at 80%.  Is this likely to happen to people who go above the 5/6cm limit, or is it expected that people who stay within the limits will return to their normal height ability?

4.  In the FAQ, it states that the bone can regenerate at a rate of 1mm per day, as well as up to 12cm in length to be added.   A post I read on another LL forum says that lengthening more than 0.66cm will "destroy" the body.  Can someone provide a counter, as well as some evidence that supports either or so I have a guide on which one is more accurate?

5.  I've read that added height in the femur can slightly decompress the amount that was lengthened.  Is this true? And if so, how much length is expected to be compromised?

6.  In diaries I've read that in recovery they stay in a "house" with other patients.  I also read that a particular diet is required for proper healing.  Since patients are essentially living in the sapce while recovering, I assume that the costs of surgery not only cover the operation and the physical therapy, but as well as the diet? If not, what exactly is covered by the surgery and what else needs to be paid in order to recover best?

7.  Do two surgeries (femur and tibia--not at the same time) pose a higher risk for complications? Since I'm likely to need both to reach my desired height.

8.  Are there certain physical conditions that are not recommended to get this surgery? I have a weak patella in my right knee.  According to a physical therapist I went to, it is something that's genetic and I will have to live with, although exercises can strengthen it to varying extents. 

Those are a lot of questions..... When I first started reading the forums I was under the impression that if you have "balls", the sky is the limit.  Once I woke up from that dream, I realized that if you want to have a decent life with functioning legs, stay within the safer limits.   

Here is some advice I can give you..... Go to the doctor and have them check to see if your growth plates are fused already.   Go get some x-rays of your legs and get measurements of both tibia and femur length independently.......to get an idea of what your maximum amount of lengthening might be(as a rule, do not lengthen a bone segment past 15%).

Read, read, read, read, read, complete diaries.....from beginning to end.
Do not be cheap about this surgery and opt to get surgery in third world countries, its playing russian roulette with your legs.
After you get some good knowledge(6months to a year), go and consult with reputable doctors so you can get real answers, and most importantly get to meet real patients that are going through the surgery.

The surgery is not a joke.   Please please please educate yourself the best you can before you begin to form ideas in your head about your dream height.   

Good luck

edit: quote
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 06:38:36 AM by Admin »

patientdad

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 04:21:38 AM »

I agree, it would be ridiculous to get the operation if you were 5'10" - but, I think you are done growing at 18.  You will never be 6'3", you will have to accept that.  It is a very difficult procedure to go through.

gyogeul

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 01:24:42 PM »

I agree, it would be ridiculous to get the operation if you were 5'10" - but, I think you are done growing at 18.  You will never be 6'3", you will have to accept that.  It is a very difficult procedure to go through.

you need to see a psychiatrist, not a ll dr

5'10 and considering this surgery after  all the bad diaries?

and 13 cm???

I haven't encountered a diary about that yet. I looked at diaries on another LL forum. Can someone link me to some? All the diaries I find are people well below my height (5'7.5ft).
I'm still curious as of why the operation is more dangerous for people at X height versus Y height.
And it's not a rare to continue to grow after you turn 18. Fused or not, I wouldn't have the surgery until my late 20s or even later perhaps.

Alittletooshort

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 02:55:48 PM »

No one I know grew more than 1 or 2 cm´s after they´ve turned 18. 7cm´s is extremly unlikely, did you get your growth plates checked if they´re still that far open, or why do expect to become 178?If your growth plates are fused, you will not grow a single mm more. Period.  I grew 2-3 more cm´s after my 16th birthday, so a growth spurt at the age of 18 is not realistic.
Forget 190, there is no way you can accieve without loosing your athletism completely. I honestly doubt that you will get any taller than 175, I woudn´t do more than 5cm´s in tota,l so you might end up at 178 after your lengthening. 
Don´t exeed lengthening the bone by more than 15% of it´s original length. Inform yourself as good as possible before you decide to do that.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 03:44:11 PM by Alittletooshort »

Knik

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 03:24:16 PM »

you can not do high-level sport probably but that does not mean you can not do any physical activity
I dont judge you, I think if with 1m78 you can easily reach the 1m90 but if I advice you not to exceed 185cm (already a very good height) for sport and better regeneration
just a good doctor
Looking for Pili

aspirant185

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 05:29:04 PM »

I don't know how you came up with the idea that at 18 u will grow 7 more cm but it will not happen. At most you will grow an inch, realistically half an inch. Its possible also not to grow further at all.

With that being said, if you go to a good doctor , you have goot chances to relatively safely lengthten your tibias up to 8 cm and your femurs up to 5 , if you push it 6 cm for a total of 14 cm. Even with that radical amount, you will still be around 185. Of course you can push it to 190 but the significantly changed proportions will not make up for the increased in height. You will look like a 5'8 guy in the body of 6'3 guy, which does not look nice.

My suggestion is to get 7.5 cm (3 inches) with one surgery (femurs), and be done. I will do the same.
Current afternoon height: 175.5 cm
Wingspan - 182 cm
Target height 184 cm
Considering doing 4.3 cm Femurs and 4.2 cm Tibias with Dr. Milorad Mitkovic in Serbia.

Knik

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 06:35:59 PM »

I don't know how you came up with the idea that at 18 u will grow 7 more cm but it will not happen. At most you will grow an inch, realistically half an inch. Its possible also not to grow further at all.

With that being said, if you go to a good doctor , you have goot chances to relatively safely lengthten your tibias up to 8 cm and your femurs up to 5 , if you push it 6 cm for a total of 14 cm. Even with that radical amount, you will still be around 185. Of course you can push it to 190 but the significantly changed proportions will not make up for the increased in height. You will look like a 5'8 guy in the body of 6'3 guy, which does not look nice.

My suggestion is to get 7.5 cm (3 inches) with one surgery (femurs), and be done. I will do the same.

all body are not the same
some guy have short legs for a large bust
Looking for Pili

gyogeul

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2016, 01:20:54 AM »

No one I know grew more than 1 or 2 cm´s after they´ve turned 18. 7cm´s is extremly unlikely, did you get your growth plates checked if they´re still that far open, or why do expect to become 178?If your growth plates are fused, you will not grow a single mm more. Period.  I grew 2-3 more cm´s after my 16th birthday, so a growth spurt at the age of 18 is not realistic.
Forget 190, there is no way you can accieve without loosing your athletism completely. I honestly doubt that you will get any taller than 175, I woudn´t do more than 5cm´s in tota,l so you might end up at 178 after your lengthening. 
Don´t exeed lengthening the bone by more than 15% of it´s original length. Inform yourself as good as possible before you decide to do that.

Let's not use anecdotal knowledge as evidence. Puberty for men can stop at the age of 25, so from the ages ~25 you have a chance of growing. You can use a quick Google search to affirm this specifically with height as well, albeit it is more common to stop growing at 18. The only way I'll know is to check if my growth plates are fused, so let's put this bit to rest.

And I'm obviously trying to inform myself. It feels a bit patronising to be told how "serious" this surgery and be lectured on details such as proportions as if I don't know anything about it already. Even in the most idealistic situation I wouldn't get this surgery until I was in my late 20s, so I have lots of time to do loads more research in the upcoming years. I'm asking now so I know if this is something that I have to work towards as I age (since I read the body is in extreme stress in recovery, I'd do my best to become as physically fit as possible for a few years in prep for the surgery so my body will get used to the stress, which I read makes the recovery go more smoothly and faster).

All I want is those questions answered, nothing more.

all body are not the same
some guy have short legs for a large bust

Thank you.
Let me worry about myself.

Also I'm still very curious as to why doctors do not recommend the surgery for people at or above 175cm. Other posters have implied mild complications, which doesn't make much sense to me. This would imply that people over a certain height that receive leg fractures are more prone to permanent injuries than people at <175cm, which seems like a silly notion since the bone doesn't become more "accident-prone" as you pass the threshold of a certain height. There must be some other factor involved.

Alittletooshort

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2016, 01:36:57 AM »

I just told you that because expecting a 7cm growth after the age of 18 is probably is kinda unrealistic. The only bones that keep growing until the age of 25 are the collar and the clavicula bone, the tibia and femur usually close between 16-18.
To answer your question, it´s actually beneficial to start of taller. The taller you are i.e the longer your bones are, the more you can lengthen witouth getting issues due to muscle resistance and the tendons being strechted. 
You shoudln´t exceed the 15% mark, so doing more than 15% of the bones original length will reduce your long term recovery. Many people here on the forum criticized you for wanting to do that because you aren´t short.
You will not have any issues at 178, I know that because I´m that height myself, yet a lot of people are still taller than you, so I can understand why you want this surgery. The user Descreteuser did a 4cm lengthening starting at 181 so there are some taller members here too.
I would wait with the surgery until you are at least 20, at that age you´ll defintlely know weither you will reach 178 naturally or not.

Alu

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2016, 02:10:57 AM »

You won't be 6'3. Even if you make it to 5'10, that much lengthening is not reasonable and it will have disruptive effects on how you preform and look in day to day life.

Also it's common to stop at 18. It's not so common to stop at 25...trust me I think you're done. Go get the plates checked and you'll see you're done..

To vaguely answer your questions...
Really all you have to do is stretch and not be obese to the point of immobility. Although you should just have a small or no tummy.

PatientZero

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2016, 03:11:20 AM »

-If you want all your questions answered, you're asking the wrong people. No one in this thread is an LL doctor and most of the members have not done LL, and are no more than armchair experts.

-You've asked a ton of lazy questions, go read more diaries and seek consultations if you are serious. You'd be stupid to listen to a bunch of internet strangers like me.

-Your estimates of gaining another 3 inches to be 5'10 by the time you're 25 is mostly wishful thinking. Please do report back in 7 years and let us know, or go check if your growth plates are closed so we can end this joke. I am aware that people can grow until their 20s, but probably not you and not the amount you want. The statistics are simply against you.

-If you somehow naturally reach 5'10" and still want to do this surgery to become 6'3", I think you are seriously fked in the head and should seek psychological help. I say this because I received 4 years of psychiatric treatment myself and can endorse it. In fact, do seek help now.
Real patient doing internal femur LL, not a pretender.

gyogeul

• Visitor
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2016, 03:50:43 AM »

-If you want all your questions answered, you're asking the wrong people. No one in this thread is an LL doctor and most of the members have not done LL, and are no more than armchair experts.

-You've asked a ton of lazy questions, go read more diaries and seek consultations if you are serious. You'd be stupid to listen to a bunch of internet strangers like me.

-Your estimates of gaining another 3 inches to be 5'10 by the time you're 25 is mostly wishful thinking. Please do report back in 7 years and let us know, or go check if your growth plates are closed so we can end this joke. I am aware that people can grow until their 20s, but probably not you and not the amount you want. The statistics are simply against you.

-If you somehow naturally reach 5'10" and still want to do this surgery to become 6'3", I think you are seriously fked in the head and should seek psychological help. I say this because I received 4 years of psychiatric treatment myself and can endorse it. In fact, do seek help now.

- I'm on an LL forum, which attracts people who are knowledgeable about the procedure. The bulk sum-near all-of my questions do not require someone to personally have gone through the surgery.

- If my questions are lazy, so is this wit you're trying your best to showcase. I also didn't ask for anyone's opinion about my desire for the surgery, especially ones that are pretty shallow in expression. Criticism is fine when needed, but my questions don't warrant any personal input, especially snide remarks. Either be constructive and civil or piss off.

ouroboros

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2016, 04:10:04 AM »

- I'm on an LL forum, which attracts people who are knowledgeable about the procedure. The bulk sum-near all-of my questions do not require someone to personally have gone through the surgery.

- If my questions are lazy, so is this wit you're trying your best to showcase. I also didn't ask for anyone's opinion about my desire for the surgery, especially ones that are pretty shallow in expression. Criticism is fine when needed, but my questions don't warrant any personal input, especially snide remarks. Either be constructive and civil or piss off.

Wait about 6 months, find this thread and re-read it again.   Only then you will understand why most people are reacting the way they are.

If you like extremes, there is a patient that lengthened his femurs 18cm and apparently he is doing fine, and the most I heard for tibia is 12cm by some tiny asian girl.  So doing 30cm of lengthening is potentially possible going by these reported cases. 

patientdad

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2016, 06:08:21 AM »

Funny how people want advice, but when it doesn't go their way, they get pissy.

mahlegs

• Visitor
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2016, 10:26:31 AM »

You are just in step 1 of what many of us go through when we first hear about cosmetic LL, that progresses as we do more research and meet with doctors/patients. 

Step1: Oh my god this is like like science fiction, it looks like I can get like 20cm taller by 2 segments, should be no problem!
Step2:  Hmm it looks like there could be some problems lenghtening that much, Ill stick to 10-15cm 2 segments....
Step3:  Okay it looks like just doing modest amounts of 5-8cm for just 1 segment has best risk/reward...possibliy less depending on what my body can take.... now gonna find the right doctor/get money/find time...
Step4:  Do LL.

Many of the regular members are in step 3, and you most likely will end up here too as you get more info and do real research. 

Alittletooshort

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2016, 11:01:37 AM »

You are just in step 1 of what many of us go through when we first hear about cosmetic LL, that progresses as we do more research and meet with doctors/patients. 

Step1: Oh my god this is like like science fiction, it looks like I can get like 20cm taller by 2 segments, should be no problem!
Step2:  Hmm it looks like there could be some problems lenghtening that much, Ill stick to 10-15cm 2 segments....
Step3:  Okay it looks like just doing modest amounts of 5-8cm for just 1 segment has best risk/reward...possibliy less depending on what my body can take.... now gonna find the right doctor/get money/find time...
Step4:  Do LL.

Many of the regular members are in step 3, and you most likely will end up here too as you get more info and do real research.
That´s so true  ;D The more you know about this surgery, the less you want to lengthen.

TIBIKE200

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2016, 11:02:42 AM »

That´s so true  ;D The more you know about this surgery, the less you want to lengthen.

5-6CM on the tibs for me. After learning alot I decided not to do my femurs.
I learned some stuff during this time

Alittletooshort

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2016, 11:36:41 AM »

5-6CM on the tibs for me. After learning alot I decided not to do my femurs.
If I decide to do tibias I´d only do 3- 4cm´s.

TIBIKE200

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2016, 11:40:47 AM »

If I decide to do tibias I´d only do 3- 4cm´s.

why is that?

Alittletooshort

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2016, 12:22:19 PM »

I didn´t see a single decent tibial recovery on thisforum yet and the in frame time gets exponentially longer the more you do. I also don´t like the looks of super long tibias compared to my already very short femurs.
4cm´s take at least 5-6 months which is already very long.

shorthandsomedoc

• Visitor
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2016, 12:32:34 PM »

You didn't even bother to check your growth plates and you are planning CLL? There's a slim chance that you have open plates. They probably already fused unless you have a very rare aromatase deficiency or some sort of familial variation that allows further growth in late teens which is also rare. In this case, the most you will gain is an inch in your torso as spine grows beyond skeletal maturity.

Alu

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2016, 02:04:23 PM »

I still hold firm that most people will never get this surgery done. It seems like most just move on with their lives and don't bother to care about the surgery. So to that end, most people never reach the step of doing LL, at least those who gain sanity in their mind (after all it's better to not go ahead and do it this surgery).

PatientZero

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2016, 03:07:12 PM »

You're on an LL forum that attracts depressed short people who are not LL doctors. Your questions require more reading and consultations with several doctors. You seem to have missed the concept of an armchair expert.

No one here has bothered to completely answer your list of questions because you're lazy.

Please don't insult my intelligence, especially with your stuffy and pompous writing. For a guy who's exerting way too much effort to sound educated, you pretty much begged people to sh1t on your post with your ridiculous expectations. You're the guy thats going to magically gain 3 inches from 18-25. Cool story.

I'm about the only person in this thread so far who has done LL and gave you some valuable real world advice. You should take it in strides, like the one where you should see a psychiatrist. Tell me thats not a good idea, for a 25 year old 5'10 person to talk with someone about how their life is miserable because they're average height.

If your idea of being constructive and civil is people blindly agreeing and babying you, you're in the wrong forum. Stop being a joker and handle the truth.
Real patient doing internal femur LL, not a pretender.

Penguinn

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2016, 04:40:14 PM »

You're on an LL forum that attracts depressed short people who are not LL doctors. Your questions require more reading and consultations with several doctors. You seem to have missed the concept of an armchair expert.

No one here has bothered to completely answer your list of questions because you're lazy.

Please don't insult my intelligence, especially with your stuffy and pompous writing. For a guy who's exerting way too much effort to sound educated, you pretty much begged people to sh1t on your post with your ridiculous expectations. You're the guy thats going to magically gain 3 inches from 18-25. Cool story.

I'm about the only person in this thread so far who has done LL and gave you some valuable real world advice. You should take it in strides, like the one where you should see a psychiatrist. Tell me thats not a good idea, for a 25 year old 5'10 person to talk with someone about how their life is miserable because they're average height.

If your idea of being constructive and civil is people blindly agreeing and babying you, you're in the wrong forum. Stop being a joker and handle the truth.

Enjoyed reading every word of that.

Penguinn

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2016, 04:44:01 PM »

I'm currently 18 and stand at 5'7. 5 ft/171. 4 cm.  I am not considering getting the surgery now, but sometime after my growth plates have fused completely. I expect that by the time I stop growing, I will be at 5'10 ft/178cm.  My desired height is 6'3 ft/190. 5cm.  I would need 13cm to reach this height from 5'10 ft.  However in another thread as well as the FAQ it suggests that 12cm is the limit (albeit initially it said 5cm for cosmetic reasons, so I'm not sure if the same is for 12cm).  Would 1cm above the limit be an issue?

I don't mean to rustle your jimmies with this:
You're counting on growing 3 inches naturally in your twenties which is downright absurd. Then you want to do 13cms of LL and you're actually worried about whether 13cm instead of 12 will harm you?

Becoming 6'3 from 5'7 is an absolute pipe dream unless you find and eat magic beans. You can do 3 inches of LL and get to 5'10 and be happy. 5'10 is a great height.

TIBIKE200

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2016, 04:51:13 PM »

I didn´t see a single decent tibial recovery on thisforum yet and the in frame time gets exponentially longer the more you do. I also don´t like the looks of super long tibias compared to my already very short femurs.
4cm´s take at least 5-6 months which is already very long.

I also havent seen any decent femoral lengthening recovery. Fraknly, I didnt see a decent recovery in this forum what's so ever :D

I dont count shyshy's diary because I strongly believe that it is fake (Maybe it is not but that's just an opinion I have from the first time I have read it). Also, unfortunately almost no one on both forums did lengthening with a decent doctor so we don't have the entire picture. Lastly, even though the recoveries were not excellent in neither segments, those of the tibia appear to be better (although slower).

chineseguy

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2016, 05:21:08 PM »

may I ask mr tibike,   do you think paley can give a good recovery?

Alu

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2016, 05:27:34 PM »

If you go to Paley's website, the guy who's testimonial is given has had an amazing recovery. Probably the best recovery since ShyShy...I can personally vouche for that.

TIBIKE200

« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2016, 05:28:12 PM »

may I ask mr tibike,   do you think paley can give a good recovery?

I am in no position to have an opinion on that.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up