Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dr Saurabh Khakharia (Georgia, USA)  (Read 23748 times)

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
Dr Saurabh Khakharia (Georgia, USA)
« on: February 12, 2014, 11:58:02 PM »

Doctor information and response from Dr Saurabh Khakharia, located in Georgia, United States of America.
Note: Please refer to our disclaimer about The Doctors Directory http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=55.0

Background (From Website):
Saurabh Khakharia, M.D. is an Orthopedic Surgeon with Advanced Fellowship training in Adult Reconstruction, Joint Replacements, Sports Medicine, Limb Lengthening and Deformity Correction. He serves as a Chief of Adult Reconstruction and Joint replacement at Atlanta Orthopedic Institute (also known as Atlanta Knee and Shoulder) and Co-Chief Adult Reconstruction Service, Department of Orthopedics, GME services at Atlanta Medical Center, Atlanta, Georgia. He has served as an Attending/Consultant Orthopedic Surgeon at Colquitt Regional Medical Center, Moultrie, Georgia, USA. During his time at Colquitt Regional Medical Center, he also served as a Chairman of Infection Control Committee for period 10/2012-10/2013.

After graduating with honors and completing his residency and Diplomate National Board in Orthopedic Surgery in India, he completed his training/fellowships at Hospital for Special Surgery, New York, NY (Ranked no.1 Hospital in Orthopedics in United States); Medical college of Virginia-Virginia Common Wealth University and Insall Scott Kelly Institute (ISK Institute)/Lenox Hill Hospital, New York, NY. He specializes and has advanced training in Adult reconstruction, Joint preservation surgery, Primary and Revision Total Joint Replacement Surgery, Revision Joint replacements, Partial joint replacements, Sports medicine and sports-related injuries, and Arthroscopic surgeries. He also specializes in Limb Lengthening and Deformity Correction. His surgical techniques include arthroscopic, minimally invasive and open procedures.

His interests include treatment of arthritic conditions of the various joints of the body like hip, knee, shoulder; sports injuries, knee injuries including torn menisci, ligament tears, cartilage injuries, patella-femoral disorders; treatment of conditions of the shoulder including impingement syndrome, rotator cuff repairs, arthritic disorders of the shoulder by arthroscopic and open shoulder surgical techniques, and the treatment of hip conditions including hip arthroscopy, hip resurfacing and primary and revision hip replacement. His other interests include upper and lower extremity deformity correction and limb lengthening in adults.

He has presented his work at various National and International orthopedic meetings and has authored articles in medical journals and book chapters in Orthopedics. He is a member of several National and International medical societies including Clinical Orthopedic Society, USA; American Medical Association, International College of Surgeons, USA; American College of Sports Medicine and Southern Orthopedic Society, USA.

Publications:
Comparison of PACS and hard-copy 51-inch radiographs for measuring leg length and deformity.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20625949

Limited Quadricepsplasty for Contracture during Femoral Lengthening
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2758990/

Restoration of the distal femur impacts patellar height in revision TKA.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21811899

VKORC1 variant genotypes influence warfarin response in patients undergoing total joint arthroplasty: a pilot study.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19034590

Osgood Schlatter syndrome.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17224661

Dr. Khakharia's Response

1) How many patients have you operated for limb Lengthening so far? How many have been cosmetic patients?
 - I have performed many surgeries involving limb lengthening procedures during my advanced fellowship at Hospital for Special Surgery. Approx 10 percent were cosmetic.

2) Which methods do you offer for lengthening? (External only, LON/LATN, ISKD, PRECICE, etc.)
- External with TSF (Taylor Spatial Frame), LON, or LATN are good options, depending on case.

3) What is the estimated total cost (including post-op treatments, stay, medications, and physiotherapy)? Are unscheduled surgeries covered? How much does a personal consultation cost?
- Depends on your insurance.

[*Note: For cosmetic cases it's unlikely to get any insurance coverage. You'll likely get a better price estimate on a phone call, certainly better with a personal consultation].

4) What kind of physiotherapy is assigned to the patient?
- Gait training, Joint Range, etc.

5) What maximum amount of lengthening do you recommend per segment regarding patient safety? What is the daily rate of lengthening?
- 1mm daily rate of lengthening. Amount of lengthening will depend on how your body takes it.

6) What is your opinion regarding the weight bearing of patients during the lengthening phase?
- TTWB/WBAT (Toe-touch weight-bearing/Weight-bearing as tolerated)

[*Note: Toe-touch weight bearing: The foot or toes may touch the floor (such as to maintain balance), but not support any weight. Do not place actual weight on the affected leg. Imagine having an egg underfoot that one is not to crush. Weight-bearing as tolerated: Usually assigned to people that can support from 50 to 100% of the body weight on the affected leg, the affected person independently chooses the weight supported by the extremity. The amount tolerated may vary according to the circumstances.
Source: Wikipedia]

7) How often will you follow up with patients during lengthening?
- Very regular on weekly to twice weekly basis initially during lengthening phase.

8 ) How fast can patients return to normal life (walking without support)?
- Varies depending on the case.

9) What is the time required to lengthen 5 cm?
- About 2 months approx just lengthening.

Contact Information/Practice Locations:

Website
http://jointandsports.com/

E-mail: 
info@jointandsports.com

Stockbridge Office
1035 Southcrest Drive
Suite 100
Stockbridge, Georgia 30281
Phone : 770-389-9005
Fax : 770-389-5251

Buckhead Office
3200 Downwood Circle, NW
Suite 410
Atlanta, Georgia 30327
Phone : 404-352-4779
Fax : 404-351-0551

Office Hours:
Monday to Friday :- 08 AM to 05 PM.
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

BilateralDamage

Re: Dr Saurabh Khakharia (Georgia, USA)
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 12:24:54 AM »

Kilo,

Huge props and thanks to you for finding these doctors.  I'm going to give his practice a call tomorrow and report back with what they quote (without any insurance).  I really like that he's located in the US!  My only worry is that his prices will be just as bad as Dr. Rozbruch (over $120,000) since hospitals in the US charge a   ton.

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 01:16:16 AM »

No problem. I've got some more doctors on the way soon.

I've never been to Georgia so I'm unsure how hospital prices there compare to other states. My first guess would be that it's not going to be as expensive as Dr. Rozbruch. Here's hoping.

Arche

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 03:36:18 AM »

One of the reasons Dr. Rozbruch is expensive is because his practice is within the #1 hospital in the world. I'm sure his hospital fees are through the roof, the types of people who go to HSS are celebrities or pro athletes who have multi million $ contracts.

If I had to guess, this guys prices might be 10% less than Mahboubian. So 50K external and 60K internal. Just speculation though.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 03:43:54 AM by Arche »

Taller

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 04:34:14 AM »

One of the reasons Dr. Rozbruch is expensive is because his practice is within the #1 hospital in the world.

Only $30,000 of a CLL patient's payment actually goes to Dr. Rozbruch. The other 100K+ goes to the hospital.

manale007

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 05:25:33 AM »

so, does anybody know what the real price is?

mediocre

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 09:55:29 AM »

Not a solid experience on CLL but very strong training.  Hope we can get the prices soon.

Thanks for the info for this new doc.

ChrisIsaak

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 11:17:33 AM »

Had I known there was a CLL doctor in Georgia, I'd get LL done while I was still in college  :)  Oh well..

FrankGarrett

• Yew collect callin' son of a bitch, yew.
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 12:33:37 PM »

Had I known there was a CLL doctor in Georgia, I'd get LL done while I was still in college  :)  Oh well..

I don't know what you're complaining about. This guy only does tibial lengthening and you're currently doing your femurs. If you want more height, you know where to go.

ChrisIsaak

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 06:35:04 AM »

I don't know what you're complaining about. This guy only does tibial lengthening and you're currently doing your femurs. If you want more height, you know where to go.

And where might that be?  :)

If you meant Georgia, I have no reason to go back there, haha.. I don't even live in the US anymore.

I could've done LL while I was still in college, but my family wouldn't let me anyway. Let's say that my number one priority in life is saving time.. Time is the most valuable thing we have (or we think we have).

thetallerman

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2014, 03:29:46 PM »

hey there, any updates on the price of this doctor, Dr Saurabh?? I'm in california and seriously considering Dr Mahboubian, however, his price is still pretty expensive and really want to know if this doctor in Georgia might be cheaper, with internals and/or externals, for example.
Current Height: 5'7 (~170cm)
Desired Height: 5'9.5 or 5'10
Wingspan: 179.7cm / 5'10.75

Average US Male Height: 176.5 / 5'9.5 (CDC report)

shawty

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2014, 06:07:37 PM »

Is there any update on this? I too am interested in knowing!

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2014, 06:56:44 PM »

I'm awaiting his reply regarding cost estimate for the various options, as well as whether or not internal methods are available for those interested in pursuing femoral lengthening.

BilateralDamage

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2014, 06:59:59 PM »

I just called them. Lol, reception was useless. She didn't even know he did leg lengthening.

After I asked for a quote, she went to talk to him and came back and said "it just depends on all the different things like hospital fees, anestisiologist fees, etc.."  They haven't done a non-insured LL at their practice yet, so they didn't have any numbers to quote. 

Useless, I want to know how much I would be expected to pay before a consultation, not after.  Advice to any doctors considering doing this cosmetically- have a price range to quote!

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2014, 07:04:51 PM »

I just called them. Lol, reception was useless. She didn't even know he did leg lengthening.

After I asked for a quote, she went to talk to him and came back and said "it just depends on all the different things like hospital fees, anestisiologist fees, etc.."  They haven't done a non-insured LL at their practice yet, so they didn't have any numbers to quote. 

Useless, I want to know how much I would be expected to pay before a consultation, not after.  Advice to any doctors considering doing this cosmetically- have a price range to quote!

Haha, well maybe after your phone call and some of my e-mails the doctor will be able to sit down and get an estimate eventually. I do like Dr Khakharia's credentials so it would be excellent to get a real price estimate at some point.

mediocre

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2014, 07:50:25 PM »

I think this reflects how comprehensively the LL patient would be treated. Questions that are left unanswered eventually.

This is heaven and earth different on how Dr Franz's team sat down and brainstormed how much cost the patient would put up.

shawty

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2014, 08:35:13 PM »

Maybe the doctor can give a competitive price to the people expressing early interest?!

thetallerman

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2014, 02:55:51 AM »

Seriously... I want to have at least a ballpark price of this doctor. Any updates of late?

Arche

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2014, 05:27:29 PM »

I'll call right now and try to get it.

So now I have a phone consultation with him tomorrow! I doubt he's much cheaper than Mahboubian (10% at best...) but we'll figure out!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 05:38:25 PM by Arche »

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2014, 05:43:29 PM »

That's good news. I never got a response after two e-mail attempts and BilateralDamage never got a proper answer. Maybe if Dr Khakharia sees that there's more and more people interested he'll get down to figuring out an estimate for cosmetic patients. It would be great if you could ask him if he offers any internal options as well.

thetallerman

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2014, 08:21:13 PM »

I'll call right now and try to get it.

So now I have a phone consultation with him tomorrow! I doubt he's much cheaper than Mahboubian (10% at best...) but we'll figure out!

Thanks so much for calling, do let us know how the phone consultation goes. I'm especially interested in how much externals cost, specifically for femurs (monorails). Thanks again for taking some action!

Arche

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2014, 08:39:47 PM »

Thanks so much for calling, do let us know how the phone consultation goes. I'm especially interested in how much externals cost, specifically for femurs (monorails). Thanks again for taking some action!

If you guys have specific questions beyond the issue of financing, please right it down as soon as possible on this very thread. Otherwise, my consultation might not reach its altruistic potential, as it were.

Arche

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2014, 08:41:59 PM »

Also how familiar are you with this surgery? External femurs increases the risk of knee stiffness. Any viable doctor will steer you away from the idea of doing anything but internal nailing of the femur, especially for purely cosmetic purposes. I'm just trying to help, but I will definitely get Dr. Khakharia's opinion on external femurs for cosmetic lengthening.

Arche

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2014, 12:20:16 AM »

So I'm really disappointed with Dr. Khakharia's staff. I called the receptionist on a Thursday, and she told me that he would be available later that day set 4 PM, where he would call you. At 4:30 PM I received no call, so I called back and the lady who was the receptionist said he was busy until 5 at which time he will surely call you. I left my number, email, and another message, and guess what? No call.

I tried again on Monday, and there was a new receptionist who seemed even more incompetent than the first. I told her I was interested in limb lengthening (didn't tell her it was cosmetic) and she had me wait on the line for 10 minutes just to say Dr. Khakaria was busy and that I needed to call again lol also one thing that pissed me off is that they won't give me his email under any circumstances?

If anyone can get the price estimates I would greatly appreciate it! I'm kinda worn out of spamming his office.

LifesTooShort

• Visitor
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2014, 12:50:10 PM »

Hey guys,
     I made a few phone calls and followed up oy to find out that Dr. Khakharia has yet to perform even one leg lengthening procedure at this clinic. I was told that there are no rates available for quoting as a "procedure code" would be a requisite and as there hasn't even been a consultation for one procedure, a "procedure code" has yet to generated. Now, that doesn't stop us from checking the previous clinic (also in Georgia) he worked at to see if he had any leg lengthening experience there and what the rate was, but this is a I've got for now. If any one else want to follow up, there are three names by which you may obtain information the fastest; Ashley, Mindy(?) and Chris(tine). Christine seems the most knowledgable of the group, though know of them seem to know too much, and the place seems highly unorganized.

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2014, 04:56:02 PM »

Good info. I guess at this rate the best way to find out an accurate estimate would be if someone did surgery with him in the future and reported the total costs.

I don't know what's with these Georgia clinics. I found another orthopedic surgeon in Georgia who trained in Russia and there was so much I had to go through to get answers. Not only did he not have a direct contact number, but I had to talk to his PA and send her an email with my questions. Then after that I was told I'd have his answers in a few days, and after waiting and then asking for a status update, I didn't get a response back even after a month had passed. Sometimes the medical system in the US is frustrating.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 05:01:35 PM by Kilokahn »

LifesTooShort

• Visitor
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2014, 05:57:10 AM »

Very frustrating indeed. What I failed to mention was that I obtained this information over the course of a week and a half, during which time I aggressively pursued an answer. I literally had to do some name and title dropping just for them to take me seriously. Very poor business conduct.
Pages: [1]   Go Up