Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Continuing to work with Ex-Fix (Tibia LL)  (Read 7035 times)

YellowSpike

Continuing to work with Ex-Fix (Tibia LL)
« on: February 04, 2016, 02:24:20 PM »

According to conversations I've been having with Dr. Catagni (and I've reached out to Paley as well), you can fully weight-bear with crutches the whole time with ex-fix. I'm just wondering if it's possible to wear pants over it and somewhat hide the braces? Someone seemed to say that it was (can't remember who or in what diary I read it).

I'm trying to figure out of if there's a way I can do 3-4cm max on my tibias (but will probably stop at 3cm because they take so damn long to heal) and still keep my job. Internal tibias scare me because you're not allowed to even walk on crutches.

There's gotta be a way for me to do this and keep my job. I even told Paley...I've already done femurs, and I've broken my ankles twice in my life from sports before. I'm no stranger to pain. It's just the f*cking God damned time factor for tibias...lol  >:(

texasbruce

Re: Continuing to work with Ex-Fix (Tibia LL)
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 03:24:38 PM »

Not recommending internal for tibias. It might cause permanent knee pain or even arthritis. External for tibias is the way to go.

Some patients diary mentioned they wear big pajama but it is obvious thou you have something inside...

This surgery really requires a lot of time and patience. Save enough money, and find a way to take long term off.

YellowSpike

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 03:31:36 PM »

Yeah internal tibias are mostly likely not an options for me purely because you can't weight-bear at all. That's the main turn off. I don't care about some scars on ankles, that's not a big deal to me.

I think I can get short-term disability eventually at this job. Or take some sort of leave of absence. I just worry that ex-fix would take forever. Maybe if I did LATN (is that the right term for when you do external, but put an internal nail afterwards) it would be a bit faster.

The time factor is what kills it for me. Normally I wouldn't care but, if women care about two things, they care most about height and money. I don't want to sacrifice my career. Because if I quit/lose this job, it's going to be very hard to get a new job and at the same salary. I don't have the luxury of running my own business or being a rich kid out of college. So I need to consider this.

Alu

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 03:58:30 PM »

Yeah internal tibias are mostly likely not an options for me purely because you can't weight-bear at all. That's the main turn off. I don't care about some scars on ankles, that's not a big deal to me.

I think I can get short-term disability eventually at this job. Or take some sort of leave of absence. I just worry that ex-fix would take forever. Maybe if I did LATN (is that the right term for when you do external, but put an internal nail afterwards) it would be a bit faster.

The time factor is what kills it for me. Normally I wouldn't care but, if women care about two things, they care most about height and money. I don't want to sacrifice my career. Because if I quit/lose this job, it's going to be very hard to get a new job and at the same salary. I don't have the luxury of running my own business or being a rich kid out of college. So I need to consider this.

Yup, keep making those super broad generalization. I'm sure that's gonna help your neurosis -_-

YellowSpike

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 04:02:23 PM »

Yup, keep making those super broad generalization. I'm sure that's gonna help your neurosis -_-

It may be an unfairly broad generalization and that's somewhat on me... but it's generally true my friend. Trying dating where I live (a very competitive city) and see the height/salary requirements that MANY (but admittedly, not all) attractive women have. And it makes sense...if you're an attractive woman, you're going to cash in on your hotness for tall wealthy man. She might fall in love with a short or less rich guy in the end, but initially, she will be gunning for the best she can get. And we as men do it too. Attraction is a very sharp knife that cuts both ways.

Online dating has served me well in getting hookups, but I'm distancing myself from it and want to meet a girl in real life. It's just less...contrived.

TIBIKE200

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 04:30:25 PM »

It may be an unfairly broad generalization and that's somewhat on me... but it's generally true my friend. Trying dating where I live (a very competitive city) and see the height/salary requirements that MANY (but admittedly, not all) attractive women have. And it makes sense...if you're an attractive woman, you're going to cash in on your hotness for tall wealthy man. She might fall in love with a short or less rich guy in the end, but initially, she will be gunning for the best she can get. And we as men do it too. Attraction is a very sharp knife that cuts both ways.

Online dating has served me well in getting hookups, but I'm distancing myself from it and want to meet a girl in real life. It's just less...contrived.

In real life the height requirement is not as a big deal as much as on the online dating sites... Yeah height it a part of looks (a big part) but it's not the only part. If you indeed have a handsome face as you claimed you shouldnt have to have so much problem being 5'8... 5'8 is not too short... In my life experience the height barrier begins when you are below 168... I never ever got comments about my height which is 171
I learned some stuff during this time

YellowSpike

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 04:34:56 PM »

In real life the height requirement is not as a big deal as much as on the online dating sites... Yeah height it a part of looks (a big part) but it's not the only part. If you indeed have a handsome face as you claimed you shouldnt have to have so much problem being 5'8... 5'8 is not too short... In my life experience the height barrier begins when you are below 168... I never ever got comments about my height which is 171

You're absolutely right, although I believe the height barrier threshold really is more at 173/5'8" these days. It's probably because I happen to live in a very competitive, superficial city that makes me feel worse about my height. I just feel like I'm still too borderline, and just want to be more safely above that crucial line of short/not short.

I know I've said this before, and I run the risk being accused of lying (because I know I've said it a lot)...but I've actually had little problems with girls in my life. Facially I'm very good looking (a few on here know what I look like, but I don't care, no one has to believe me lol, I'm not here to make friends). Even when I was 166, I still did pretty well and always had girlfriends and had my fair share of hookups/ONS.

At this point, it's mostly in my head. I still feel short. Or, I still feel too borderline for my own good. I'm also very competitive and somewhat of a perfectionist - so there's that too. I've been going to therapy regularly, and it's helping me a little. But I still want to be 5'9" at least. I don't believe that desire will ever go away. So now, its just...how can I get there with the least disruption to my life?

TIBIKE200

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 04:42:05 PM »

You're absolutely right, although I believe the height barrier threshold really is more at 173/5'8" these days. It's probably because I happen to live in a very competitive, superficial city that makes me feel worse about my height. I just feel like I'm still too borderline, and just want to be more safely above that crucial line of short/not short.

I know I've said this before, and I run the risk being accused of lying (because I know I've said it a lot)...but I've actually had little problems with girls in my life. Facially I'm very good looking (a few on here know what I look like, but I don't care, no one has to believe me lol, I'm not here to make friends). Even when I was 166, I still did pretty well and always had girlfriends and had my fair share of hookups/ONS.

At this point, it's mostly in my head. I still feel short. Or, I still feel too borderline for my own good. I'm also very competitive and somewhat of a perfectionist - so there's that too. I've been going to therapy regularly, and it's helping me a little. But I still want to be 5'9" at least. I don't believe that desire will ever go away. So now, its just...how can I get there with the least disruption to my life?

I believe that the 5'6-5'7 are the borderline heights. I am younger than you (I believe by atleast 10 years reading your life story about being married and stuff. So my generation should be taller), and I can safely say that atleast from my perspective 5'8 is not short. It's not tall (tall begins at 5'11), but there is nothing wrong with average height.

texasbruce

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 04:47:59 PM »

Simply put this way, if you cannot afford it (money, time, career, etc.), you shouldn't do this.

YellowSpike

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2016, 04:53:26 PM »

I believe that the 5'6-5'7 are the borderline heights. I am younger than you (I believe by atleast 10 years reading your life story about being married and stuff. So my generation should be taller), and I can safely say that atleast from my perspective 5'8 is not short. It's not tall (tall begins at 5'11), but there is nothing wrong with average height.

I'm not sure where you live, but where I live (and in the field I work in), 5'8" is pretty damned short. I don't think I'm short to the point where I stand out horribly (the way that I know I used to). I recognize it's been a pretty nice improvement.

Maybe it's because, since I was so short all my life, I have this inner need to overcompensate or always prove myself, or improve myself (fitness, career, etc.). It's just what I'm used to. And I have the clarity now to know that LL isn't something you can just do like going to the gym or running...these are our bones.

But that being said...I just feel like I'm so close, yet so far to average. I'm getting better at just accepting where I am not for now..I've been working on it. But I know long-term, I'm going to still want at least 5'9". That won't change I don't think.

Simply put this way, if you cannot afford it (money, time, career, etc.), you shouldn't do this.

Money is not an issue at all. The main thing for me is time/career, because those go hand in hand. I actually COULD afford to leave this job and completely focus on tibias...I have enough cash to pay for the surgery and enough to keep me afloat for at least 3-4  years (living conservatively within my means). However, I want to buy property, and don't want to stall my career.

The point of this thread (I feel like I'm getting attacked and it's turned into a borderline complaining/me defending myself thread, which I didn't want) was to see if I can come up with a way to do 3cm on tibias in as little time as possible.

ouroboros

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2016, 04:56:47 PM »

Attraction is a very sharp knife that cuts both ways.

I'm going to steal this quote and coin it as mine if no-one has done so already! ;)

If someone's goal is to find a woman that will love them for just being a "special snowflake", then they should go and volunteer at a third world orphanage or something like that, and they will meet tons of chicks that don't have superficial standards, don't believe in wasting water so they shower once a month, and don't believe in using razors (I'm talking about the other volunteer chicks). 
For the rest of the realistic and ambitious people in this forum, if you want to compete for the worthwhile women, you are gonna have to bring your "A" game, so knowing what your potential mate is attracted to will give you a slight edge.

Women have standards and preferences, the few that don't, I'm not interested in.   Height is just one of those things that they value.  No matter your height, becoming a little taller will get you more attention.........but if you overdo it, you will attract even more attention as a cripple, and then you have to hope to meet a woman with that type of fetish.   If someone really want to do this surgery, stay within the safe limits and you will forget that this whole thing ever happened.

TIBIKE200

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2016, 04:57:14 PM »

I'm not sure where you live, but where I live (and in the field I work in), 5'8" is pretty damned short. I don't think I'm short to the point where I stand out horribly (the way that I know I used to). I recognize it's been a pretty nice improvement.

Maybe it's because, since I was so short all my life, I have this inner need to overcompensate or always prove myself, or improve myself (fitness, career, etc.). It's just what I'm used to. And I have the clarify now to know that LL isn't something you can just do like going to the gym or running...these are our bones.

But that being said...I just feel like I'm so close, yet so far to average. I'm getting better at just accepting where I am not for now..I've been working on it. But I know long-term, I'm going to still want at least 5'9". That won't change I don't think.

I am not saying that just for you. I am saying that also for other people in here who are 5'5 or 5'7 like me who dont want to do more than 2 inches. I live in Israel/northern Italy and I tried wearing 2cm lifts a few days ago to see the difference... And ohh my what a difference that was.

YellowSpike

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2016, 05:03:31 PM »

I am not saying that just for you. I am saying that also for other people in here who are 5'5 or 5'7 like me who dont want to do more than 2 inches. I live in Israel/northern Italy and I tried wearing 2cm lifts a few days ago to see the difference... And ohh my what a difference that was.

Please don't make the mistake I did. I thought I was going to be happy at 5'8", and here I am not entirely content. I know that everyone is going to say "you're not gonna be happy at 5'9." Maybe I won't be thrilled about my height, but I do believe I'd be content enough to stop this bone breaking business lol. 5'9" is a realistic goal for me, hell even 5'10" is (but I'm more than willing to leave some height on the table for recovery/time/safety purposes). Compromise.

And I promise...where I live, 5'8" is still pretty on the short side. Borderline...but short.

TIBIKE200

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2016, 05:07:23 PM »

Please don't make the mistake I did. I thought I was going to be happy at 5'8", and here I am not entirely content. I know that everyone is going to say "you're not gonna be happy at 5'9." Maybe I won't be thrilled about my height, but I do believe I'd be content enough to stop this bone breaking business lol. 5'9" is a realistic goal for me, hell even 5'10" is (but I'm more than willing to leave some height on the table for recovery/time/safety purposes). Compromise.

And I promise...where I live, 5'8" is still pretty on the short side. Borderline...but short.

Do you live in Europe or north america (That's not too much precise to disclose your location)? Also I want to do 5-6cm. If you will do 4 on your tibias you will be 177 which is 0.8cm from 5'10. If you go on tibia do 4cm with Catagni. That's my opinion.
  Why I always say Catagni, well I live in Bologna. In bologna there is the "rizzoli" institute which is considered one of the best orthopedic institutes in the world. I asked many orthopedics there about Catagni. They all said "He is a god in terms of orthopedics"

YellowSpike

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2016, 05:09:55 PM »

Do you live in Europe or north america (That's not too much precise to disclose your location)? Also I want to do 5-6cm. If you will do 4 on your tibias you will be 177 which is 0.8cm from 5'10. If you go on tibia do 4cm with Catagni. That's my opinion

I live in North America, in a very large urban location. Very competitive and superficial here, unfortunately (but we all are, to some degree).

I've been talking with Dr. Catagni, and wrote Paley as well. I'm just brainstorming at this point. I might have to settle for 2-2.5cm max more on femurs to be about 5'9". While 5'10" would be amazing, I really think I'd be happy with 5'9", given the fact that I have to compromise on recovery time (which directly impacts my career and such, which I've worked hard to get).

TIBIKE200

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2016, 05:13:13 PM »

I live in North America, in a very large urban location. Very competitive and superficial here, unfortunately (but we all are, to some degree).

I've been talking with Dr. Catagni, and wrote Paley as well. I'm just brainstorming at this point. I might have to settle for 2-2.5cm max more on femurs to be about 5'9". While 5'10" would be amazing, I really think I'd be happy with 5'9", given the fact that I have to compromise on recovery time (which directly impacts my career and such, which I've worked hard to get).

Doing your tibias will make your knees appear farther away from the floor giving the illusion you are taller than you actually are.

YellowSpike

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2016, 05:17:33 PM »

Doing your tibias will make your knees appear farther away from the floor giving the illusion you are taller than you actually are.

I know. Tibias are what I really want to do (and 3cm will make me happy)...it just really kills it for me how damn long they take even for just 3 cm!

TIBIKE200

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2016, 05:19:03 PM »

I know. Tibias are what I really want to do (and 3cm will make me happy)...it just really kills it for me how damn long they take even for just 3 cm!

What was the recovery time according to Catagni?

YellowSpike

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2016, 05:20:58 PM »

What was the recovery time according to Catagni?

3-4 months if I do internal (but no weight-bearing, which makes those 3-4 months more brutal in a way), 6 months in frames if external only.

I'm wondering if I could do LON/LATN if that would help me walk (even with crutches) as fast as possible.

TIBIKE200

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2016, 08:05:05 PM »

3-4 months if I do internal (but no weight-bearing, which makes those 3-4 months more brutal in a way), 6 months in frames if external only.

I'm wondering if I could do LON/LATN if that would help me walk (even with crutches) as fast as possible.

Do remember that the frames remain on you until you fully consolidate. Once you remove them you will be in special rubber casts for a few weeks and afterwards you are free. It's not like the internals in which you will continue to look odd even after full consolidation.

Ozymandias

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2016, 10:00:56 PM »

I don't want to sacrifice my career. Because if I quit/lose this job, it's going to be very hard to get a new job and at the same salary. I don't have the luxury of running my own business or being a rich kid out of college. So I need to consider this.

We are on the same boat, YellowSpike.

I also appreciate my job, I know that if I lose it, it wold be almost impossible to find another job comparable to it, and I'm confident I can get a promotion in 2-3 years if I keep putting effort.

So how to combine LL with my job has been my headache for the last months.

I had the idea of doing LON in tibias. Like you, I would be happy with 4 cm (maybe 3, but I'm afraid I would regret lately not having done 4 cm). LON for 3.5 - 4 cm means only 2 months or so in frames, with the advantage of being weight-bearing. But sadly, I think I should get rid of the idea. I don't think frames, even monolaterals, can be hidden, and obviously I don't want any of my colleagues to find what the hell is going on my legs. So, with LON, I should ask for a 2 month vacation, and I think it would be a disaster for my career.

I'm currently considering femoral lengthening in 2 stages (like yagen now). This means some time in crutches, but at least I don't have to "disappear" from my job for a lot of time.

YellowSpike

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2016, 10:10:22 PM »

We are on the same boat, YellowSpike.

I also appreciate my job, I know that if I lose it, it wold be almost impossible to find another job comparable to it, and I'm confident I can get a promotion in 2-3 years if I keep putting effort.

So how to combine LL with my job has been my headache for the last months.

I had the idea of doing LON in tibias. Like you, I would be happy with 4 cm (maybe 3, but I'm afraid I would regret lately not having done 4 cm). LON for 3.5 - 4 cm means only 2 months or so in frames, with the advantage of being weight-bearing. But sadly, I think I should get rid of the idea. I don't think frames, even monolaterals, can be hidden, and obviously I don't want any of my colleagues to find what the hell is going on my legs. So, with LON, I should ask for a 2 month vacation, and I think it would be a disaster for my career.

I'm currently considering femoral lengthening in 2 stages (like yagen now). This means some time in crutches, but at least I don't have to "disappear" from my job for a lot of time.

I know. I mean, I wish I was like some of the superstars on here like DoingItForMe, Cooper and ProgramDude who run their own businesses. Or, that I was a rich spoiled kid who had his parents pay for it right outta college like Leechlet lol

But for us average Joes, it's much harder to pull off. I'm super lucky I was able to pull off the first surgery while keeping my previous job. But I'm only at my new firm for a short period of time. LON might be an option. I've heard pretty good things about it. I believe 3cm takes about 6-7 weeks to lengthen, and then you get a nail put in so you can weight bear (I believe). I too would like 4cm, but 3cm on tibias would make me quite happy (because I get to actually improve my proportions, while still making it to 5'9"+).

I'm honestly thinking at this point, what I'm going to do is...keep the femur rods in for now, but have Dr. Guichet (or maybe Rozbruch) fix the screw in my left hip (to get rid of that annoying pain, which has improved though). By keeping the rods in, I still have the option for more on femurs and can avoid any possibility of what happened to our boy ProgramDude.

This way, I can bide my time, work here for maybe another year, and then really start figuring out how to do 3cm on tibias. 176 would be quite a nice final height for me 8)

The only negative to this is if I meet a great girl a) I may not be open to anything serious with her (self protection) or b) I get into relationship, and she leaves me for being true to myself and finishing an important goal of mine.

TIBIKE200

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2016, 11:19:09 PM »

I think that after I will lengthen 5-6cm I will continue to use the lifts.. Like this it would be as if I lengthened 7-8cm which is basically 3 inches which means I will be walking around as a 180 man (without counting the shoes I will put these lifts into)

YellowSpike

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2016, 02:46:41 PM »

Dr. Paley told me that if I do internal tibias, depending on the nail that's used (and I think I'd get the larger one, that's what Guichet and Rozbruch told me too), I can weight bear up to 75lbs on each leg. Right now I'm about 170 lbs and lean, but that's with the G-Nails, so maybe I'm more like 165 ish? It's nice to know I might be able to at least somewhat get around on crutches if I do internal tibias.

But I'd go with Catagni...not paying Paley's crazy prices. No way Jose.

YellowSpike

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2016, 10:17:33 PM »

Does anyone know any good doctors that do LON? I don't think Catagni seems to offer it (he seems to offer externals only or Precice). I'd rather not do a purely internal method, but can't be in externals for a century (like 6-8 months) for the last inch I need. LON might be the best option, but I'm not entirely opposed to internal tibias (though they do scare me a bit - have a few questions about them out to Paley right now).

LON seems like a good/fast option to get the inch and be walking unaided as fast as possible (even if I have to rely on crutches just to be safe, for a little while after finishing lengthening)

Ozymandias

« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2016, 10:55:14 PM »

Does anyone know any good doctors that do LON? I don't think Catagni seems to offer it (he seems to offer externals only or Precice). I'd rather not do a purely internal method, but can't be in externals for a century (like 6-8 months) for the last inch I need. LON might be the best option, but I'm not entirely opposed to internal tibias (though they do scare me a bit - have a few questions about them out to Paley right now).

LON seems like a good/fast option to get the inch and be walking unaided as fast as possible (even if I have to rely on crutches just to be safe, for a little while after finishing lengthening)

You can contact Monegal. He prefers internals, but for "modest" lengthenings (like your 3cm goal) he can offer LON. He uses monotubes that don't look as bulky as Ilizarovs (but still hard to hide, sadly  :'( )

goldenegg

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2016, 01:28:20 AM »

Dr. Lee in south korea and birkholtz in south africa seem like good doctors that offer LON/LATN for tibias, but their prices are higher compared to catagni's price for externals

YellowSpike

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2016, 02:54:45 PM »

Thanks goldenegg and ozymandias. Eh, I have nothing against Monegal, but the drama on here has sorta spooked me from going to him. But not entirely opposed.

Paley says that internal tibias are entirely safe and I could use crutches at least. And i know Catagni does Precicw for Tibias, so that's an option. But LON seems to be a faster way to get off crutches (or at least be able to safely rely on crutches) asap.

Do you risk losing some height in LON/LATN? I can't remember which version of externals you run the risk of losing height when they put the nail in. Since I'm only doing 3cm, can't afford to lose anything lol

TIBIKE200

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2016, 02:58:57 PM »

Thanks goldenegg and ozymandias. Eh, I have nothing against Monegal, but the drama on here has sorta spooked me from going to him. But not entirely opposed.

Paley says that internal tibias are entirely safe and I could use crutches at least. And i know Catagni does Precicw for Tibias, so that's an option. But LON seems to be a faster way to get off crutches (or at least be able to safely rely on crutches) asap.

Do you risk losing some height in LON/LATN? I can't remember which version of externals you run the risk of losing height when they put the nail in. Since I'm only doing 3cm, can't afford to lose anything lol

I think that the loss is of the % gained. So le'ts say that the loss is 20% for example, 20% of 3cm is 0.6cm while of 6cm its 1.2cm. It wont be really noticable

YellowSpike

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2016, 03:12:13 PM »

I think that the loss is of the % gained. So le'ts say that the loss is 20% for example, 20% of 3cm is 0.6cm while of 6cm its 1.2cm. It wont be really noticable

But is that for all external methods? I thought it was only for some.

If that's the case, I might just do Precice with Dr. Catagni. Can't afford to lose anything and I can't lengthen more to compensate because time is of the essence.

ub40

« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2016, 03:11:41 AM »

Why is there any loss at all?
170-176 cm, May 2016 still consolidating
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up