Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Measuring height wrong?  (Read 13449 times)

Deads

Measuring height wrong?
« on: January 26, 2016, 03:20:17 PM »

So I'm at work as we speak (I work in a hospital). Measured my height on one of the professional measuring devices that are attached to the wall... I measured 170cm. I'm usually 168. I double checked the apparatus, and it was attached to the wall accurately. I then re-measured my height, 170 on the dot. So, I'm just wondering if I've been measuring myself wrong this whole time.... Although, I find it hard to believe. Measuring your height isn't a complicated task.. Maybe it's a morning height? I've been awake for 8 hours. Does that count as a morning height? I've never compared morning and afternoon heights.

TIBIKE200

Re: Measuring height wrong?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 03:21:48 PM »

When you got the 168cm height in which hours of the day was it? Try to measure yourself tommorow as well in the same hour
I learned some stuff during this time

Deads

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 03:29:55 PM »

When you got the 168cm height in which hours of the day was it? Try to measure yourself tommorow as well in the same hour

Don't know when I measured... Yeah, will measure 8 hours after I wake up on a different day.

This sounds so sad (because it's just a number), but I'm so pumped if I'm 170cm haha.

Daylight

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 03:46:02 PM »

after7-8hrs is exactly when you should measure your height. Its not morning height, so you are fine.

YellowSpike

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 03:50:12 PM »

after7-8hrs is exactly when you should measure your height. Its not morning height, so you are fine.

It also depends a bit on what you did that day (how active you were, did you carry heavy weights, run/stand a lot, etc.) and also (in my case, since the surgery) how bad your duckass is (from tight hips/quads, etc. - and yes, this does vary a bit from time to time). If I lay around most of the day, I can measure 174cm at night, but I'm usually 173cm right before bed after a typical day (commuting to and from work, the gym, etc.). Right out of bed, if I sleep enough, I'm 5'9" for like the first minute I'm awake lol

Deads

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 03:54:38 PM »

Cool. Well, I'll double check on other measuring apparatuses around the hospital to be sure that the particular device I used isn't creating the decrepancy.

Deads

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 07:18:39 PM »

Cool. Well, I'll double check on other measuring apparatuses around the hospital to be sure that the particular device I used isn't creating the decrepancy.

Okay, so 12 hours after being awake I measured myself on 2 separate measuring devices.. The original device (the one that measured me at 170 earlier) measured me at 169.2cm and the second one measured me at 169.2cm.

So, would 12 hours after awaking be classed as an evening height?

Alu

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2016, 08:15:26 PM »

If you weren't really laying down and being a lazy bum then yeah...and to that regard congrats you're basically 5'7. Or more cynically 5'6.75

Deads

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2016, 08:58:21 PM »

If you weren't really laying down and being a lazy bum then yeah...and to that regard congrats you're basically 5'7. Or more cynically 5'6.75

I sit for most of my shifts. I get up and down semi regularly.. Would I be cheating myself in terms of how much height I think I have?

Alu

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2016, 09:03:18 PM »

Not really. Considering the additional height most people have in the morning is all spine, sitting in itself can compress the spine and make you lose that extra height. Also, for me honestly I don't worry about 1 CM difference. I find an inch difference between two people to be hard to spot since people have different postures here and there; so a CM isn't much. Unless you really want to hit that 170 CM value (which in truth I want to)

Deads

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2016, 09:21:19 PM »

Not really. Considering the additional height most people have in the morning is all spine, sitting in itself can compress the spine and make you lose that extra height. Also, for me honestly I don't worry about 1 CM difference. I find an inch difference between two people to be hard to spot since people have different postures here and there; so a CM isn't much. Unless you really want to hit that 170 CM value (which in truth I want to)

I completely agree.. It's just about me being attached to a number. The idea of getting to 5"9 in one surgery without having to lengthen some ridiculous amount like 8cm was my dream and I was only 1-2cm off of that dream.. Now I can officially hit the 5"9 status with just 6cm. Which for me, on my femurs looks completely normal.

Mockups in order; Original > 5cm > 6cm > 7cm

http://i.imgur.com/0ZiGAG1.jpg

TIBIKE200

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2016, 10:21:16 PM »

I completely agree.. It's just about me being attached to a number. The idea of getting to 5"9 in one surgery without having to lengthen some ridiculous amount like 8cm was my dream and I was only 1-2cm off of that dream.. Now I can officially hit the 5"9 status with just 6cm. Which for me, on my femurs looks completely normal.

If risks werent included, I personally think that you look the best with the 7cm gain :)

YellowSpike

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2016, 11:02:33 PM »

I'm sort of attached to the 5'9" number too. To me, it's the lowest height where you can sort of "blend in" with a lot of guys (but you still might look short, depending on who is around at any given time).

Yeah, weekdays, if I'm out of bed at 6am, I usually count my height at around 8 or 9pm as my height (and it's almost always around 173 on the nose). Sometimes I'll go as low as 172.7, but that's very very rare (and usually after I've worked out my shoulders or back at the gym). Sometimes I was above 173. But...I've also stopped measuring myself nearly as much as I used to. Because it is what it is (unless I do more LL).

TIBIKE200

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2016, 11:06:04 PM »

I'm sort of attached to the 5'9" number too. To me, it's the lowest height where you can sort of "blend in" with a lot of guys (but you still might look short, depending on who is around at any given time).

Yeah, weekdays, if I'm out of bed at 6am, I usually count my height at around 8 or 9pm as my height (and it's almost always around 173 on the nose). Sometimes I'll go as low as 172.7, but that's very very rare (and usually after I've worked out my shoulders or back at the gym). Sometimes I was above 173. But...I've also stopped measuring myself nearly as much as I used to. Because it is what it is (unless I do more LL).

175-176 is short yellowspyke? I think you are exageratting

YellowSpike

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2016, 11:07:20 PM »

175-176 is short yellowspyke? I think you are exageratting

Didn't say it was short. I meant you might look or feel short if you are around a lot of tall guys. 5'9"-5'10" to me are sort of "situational" heights where it really depends on who you're around, but for the most part, guys 5'9" and up have little to worry about height-wise.

TIBIKE200

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2016, 11:12:14 PM »

You will also feel short around alot of 6'1-6'2 guys being 5'11 or even 6. There will always be people highier than you... But The important thing is that there will also be alot of people shorter than you... Percepssion in the key... Also, you can always put a 1.5-2cm lift in your shoe if you feel bad.

Deads

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2016, 10:43:39 AM »

So today I measured myself about an hour after I woke up. I measured 171cm.... So, morning height is 171cm, 8 hours into the day I drop to 170, at 12 hours I drop to a little over 169cm... Definitely not 168cm haha.

Measured my gf's height immediatly after mine.... 177cm's!! So she's actually 6cm taller than me and this whole time I was thinking we were both shorter than we actually are.. so 5-6cm on femurs will definitely get me to 5"9 and that's all I give a s**t about.. Amazing how much we can get attached to a number haha.

I'm going to say I'm 169cm to be completely realistic.

aspirant185

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2016, 11:42:41 AM »

I have always lived with the impression that I am 178 until I was professionally measured and my afternoon height turned out to be not 178 but 175. Doctor said its really close to 176 but I should say 175 because its always better to undervalue than to overvalue your height. With that being said, I believe if I do 4.5 cm even considering potential 1-2 mm compression, that would still I believe qualify me to say I am 180. With any sort of formal shoes / I would be a solic 5'11. Before the 2nd surgery where I will add 4 - 4.5 more. I will post mock-up tonight or tomorrow :)
Current afternoon height: 175.5 cm
Wingspan - 182 cm
Target height 184 cm
Considering doing 4.3 cm Femurs and 4.2 cm Tibias with Dr. Milorad Mitkovic in Serbia.

YellowSpike

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2016, 02:15:45 PM »

You will also feel short around alot of 6'1-6'2 guys being 5'11 or even 6. There will always be people highier than you... But The important thing is that there will also be alot of people shorter than you... Percepssion in the key... Also, you can always put a 1.5-2cm lift in your shoe if you feel bad.

Nope. I refuse to wear lifts, however subtle/small they might be. Lifts make you feel that much worse about your height in my personal experience. Lifts are a good part of what drove me to LL in the first place.

And yeah ,I know there will always be someone taller in the room. My personal goal is someday to be at least 5'9" at night. To me that is the shortest a guy can be and still somewhat blend in. And if I have to accept bad proportions for a faster recovery and also for less money, then so be it. Tibias just take way too long (even though I'm well aware they are the better solution for the long term and for proportions). Dr. G is someone I trust, and he's really scaring me off from tibias (even if others have done them and ended up ok).

Deads

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2016, 03:07:22 PM »

Nope. I refuse to wear lifts, however subtle/small they might be. Lifts make you feel that much worse about your height in my personal experience. Lifts are a good part of what drove me to LL in the first place.

And yeah ,I know there will always be someone taller in the room. My personal goal is someday to be at least 5'9" at night. To me that is the shortest a guy can be and still somewhat blend in. And if I have to accept bad proportions for a faster recovery and also for less money, then so be it. Tibias just take way too long (even though I'm well aware they are the better solution for the long term and for proportions). Dr. G is someone I trust, and he's really scaring me off from tibias (even if others have done them and ended up ok).

The mans mind is made!

Peaceout

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2016, 03:12:03 PM »

I agree with 5'9 part.At 5'9-5'10 you wont look short.And you wont feel short(i mean you shouldnt :D )You wont be tall too but its a good height after all.

YellowSpike

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2016, 03:30:15 PM »

The mans mind is made!

LOL I wish it were that simple. My main concern is trading height neurosis for proportion neurosis. I did 7cm on femurs. A good number of men have done 9-10 cm on femurs (some even more, from two surgeries), and look pretty decent. I've done mockups, and my proportions with another inch on femurs don't look that different from how they do now.

But it's still a major concern. I actually would prefer to do tibias. They just take too long. And they scare me to the point where I'd only be comfortable with a top doctor (Rozbruch, Paley or Guichet), and just not sure I can afford another full fledged LL (a femur re-break is "only" 25K I believe - question is, is it worth it?).

TIBIKE200

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2016, 03:33:44 PM »

LOL I wish it were that simple. My main concern is trading height neurosis for proportion neurosis. I did 7cm on femurs. A good number of men have done 9-10 cm on femurs (some even more, from two surgeries), and look pretty decent. I've done mockups, and my proportions with another inch on femurs don't look that different from how they do now.

But it's still a major concern. I actually would prefer to do tibias. They just take too long. And they scare me to the point where I'd only be comfortable with a top doctor (Rozbruch, Paley or Guichet), and just not sure I can afford another full fledged LL (a femur re-break is "only" 25K I believe - question is, is it worth it?).

Why not catagni?

aspirant185

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2016, 03:37:48 PM »

Why do you keep saying that Tibias take so much longer ? I read an interview with Dr. Paley and he claims that , yes, they take longer, but not that longer. He says, patients walk unaided 30 days after lengthening Femurs and 45 days after Tibias. If you do a small amount of 4-5 cm, internally with Precice 2, I am sure you will be walking in 4 months top.
Current afternoon height: 175.5 cm
Wingspan - 182 cm
Target height 184 cm
Considering doing 4.3 cm Femurs and 4.2 cm Tibias with Dr. Milorad Mitkovic in Serbia.

YellowSpike

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2016, 03:55:05 PM »

I don't know guys. Tibias just really scare me. I can't help it, they just do. I was trying to muster the courage to do them, but Dr. G really spooked me (although yes, he strongly favors femurs and has super high recovery standards).

The idea of breaking four bones instead of just two, not having a solid foundation for partial weightbearing (which if you do femurs, you still have your ankles intact), stairs...they just really scare me. Call me a pu$$y if you will, but I'm not. I did femurs, and they were painful. They weren't fun. But I knew I'd recover in a fairly short amount of time.

And I can't do externals. Externals just are not an option for me.

TIBIKE200

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2016, 03:58:43 PM »

I don't know guys. Tibias just really scare me. I can't help it, they just do. I was trying to muster the courage to do them, but Dr. G really spooked me (although yes, he strongly favors femurs and has super high recovery standards).

The idea of breaking four bones instead of just two, not having a solid foundation for partial weightbearing (which if you do femurs, you still have your ankles intact), stairs...they just really scare me. Call me a pu$$y if you will, but I'm not. I did femurs, and they were painful. They weren't fun. But I knew I'd recover in a fairly short amount of time.

Try to contact Catagni via e-mail. Speak to him about your situation and see what he says... He is very responsive and nice. Maybe he can even suggest you someone to go to (Since he isnt eager to do the procedure himself on people).

Deads

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2016, 04:00:18 PM »

I prefer to avoid Tibs now too.

YellowSpike

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2016, 04:12:01 PM »

Try to contact Catagni via e-mail. Speak to him about your situation and see what he says... He is very responsive and nice. Maybe he can even suggest you someone to go to (Since he isnt eager to do the procedure himself on people).

I might. He's in Italy, right? That's one of the few countries I'd consider outside of the US (especially for tibias).

You'd have to pay me millions of dollars to go India. Eff that sh*t.

TIBIKE200

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2016, 04:12:51 PM »

I might. He's in Italy, right? That's one of the few countries I'd consider outside of the US (especially for tibias).

You'd have to pay me millions of dollars to go India. Eff that sh*t.
  Yes he operates near milano :)

YellowSpike

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2016, 04:16:22 PM »

Yes he operates near milano :)

I thought so. That's great, because I already know Milano well from last year.

But I think Dr. Catagini only does externals? That might be a dealbreaker...sigh...

TIBIKE200

« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2016, 04:16:54 PM »

I thought so. That's great, because I already know Milano well from last year.

But I think Dr. Catagini only does externals? That might be a dealbreaker...sigh...

Better ask him than me
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up