Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bad experience with paley  (Read 7587 times)

Tallexpectations

Bad experience with paley
« on: December 06, 2015, 10:56:50 PM »

Paley is a very famous surgeon but he has had some bad cases. I am horrified about this case:https://sites.google.com/site/mycrippledleg/home/dr-paley-2-html

jaymorgan712

Re: Bad experience with paley
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 06:15:57 AM »

Yeah, i made a post about this earlier in the year. This surgery is dangerous...period! Even with the best doctor in the world things go wrong. However, dangerous surgery with a dangerous surgeon, that doubling your chances! But paley is still the best choice. No doubt he is a good doctor. This surgery is unpredictable.
Currently Banned for fake diary until proper explanation is accounted for.

PatientZero

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 09:58:02 AM »

Paley does tens of thousands of lengthening cases so he's bound to have a few unsatisfactory or unsuccessful cases. This applies to all the top doctors--no one has a perfect record.

Given the dangers associated with this surgery, prospective patients should always seek the safest option possible.

Yesterday, I logged into the old forum to see that people are still going to certain doctors in India. One of them is a hip & knee replacement doctor and doesn't even have formal training in LL.

With the wealth of information on both forums, it shocks me that members are choosing to play LL roulette. Personally, I saved for 6 years to do internals with a respectable doctor.
Real patient doing internal femur LL, not a pretender.

YellowSpike

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 01:53:04 PM »

I think if programdude's experience has taught us anything, it's that sh*t can happen no matter what doctor you choose and no matter how careful you are. This surgery is one of the riskiest out there (and is by far the most risky cosmetic surgery).

DoingItForMe

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 05:59:00 PM »

This is why I wouldn't recommend getting LL until it is the last resort. A lot of patients get nasty surprises after getting LL. Nobody is perfect. Doctors make mistakes, even Dr. Paley does. While I was at the Paley Institute, he broke a patient's femur at a bad angle, and that patient had to stop short of his lengthening goal because of it. Another time, a patient's rod wasn't lengthening, and he didn't find out until 2 weeks later when he went to get his x-ray. And because he didn't lengthen on one leg, his bone fused back and they had to operate on him again. This set him back 2 weeks and put him back in the hospital again. Another patient who did his tibias had nerve damage, and can't move his big toe anymore. Whether he'd recover from it or not is unknown. But for the month that I saw him before I left Florida, he wasn't able to move his big toe.

I wish more patients who had bad experiences would tell their stories, but a lot of them are too embarrassed to or fear revenge from the doctor. Since they can't speak up for themselves, I'll tell their stories and face the consequences.

The main reason why I write my experience is to let you know in great detail exactly what you're getting yourself into. I'm a bad example, though, because I've been mostly incident-free throughout the LL. I'm considered very lucky to get to 8 cm. And even though I come from a very hard working ethic, it took a lot of effort for me to do so. A lot of the other patients stopped around 7 cm because of problems here and there. One tibia patient almost had to stop at 5 cm because his bone was growing too fast. So I highly recommend that you don't do LL if you don't have to. If I had to give an estimate of the patients I saw, 4 out of 5 patients had some kind of problem at some point in their recovery, which I explained above. I was the 5th patient who didn't have a problem during lengthening among my group of 5 LL patients and the only one who got to 8 cm that I know of. However, my bone growth has been slow and I will be one of the unlucky ones who probably will not be able to walk until 8 months instead of 5 months after surgery.

Some other stories I heard regarding Paley patients while browsing these forums:
- ProgramDude broke his femur after rod removal
- Some chinese patient was too tight and wasn't able to get to 8 cm without an IT band release. But instead of $5,000, Paley tried to charge him $25,000 or something like that, because it's a separate surgery.
- Iamready had to slow down his lengthening because of tightness and pain
8 cm gained with Dr. Paley using Precice 2.1 internal femurs in Summer 2015.
Starting height: 167 cm (5'6") Currently at: 175 cm (5'9")
Link to my experience

LLuser1

• Banned
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 08:19:28 PM »

These stories happen everywhere because this surgery is dangerous but a doctor must be honest and recognize it. The problem is when doctors lie and say they have no problems but they have. I could tell you some stories about a popular doctor that you couldn't believe.
Banned for wrongly implying a patient death/posting incomplete information and repeated spamming/bumping irrelevant threads to post about Dr Monegal/MMaker despite warning.

LLuser1

• Banned
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2015, 08:32:49 PM »

Doingitforme you are very brave. I know some stories and dont know if I must share them with you here. Perhaps I should because some people are being deceived.

This is why I wouldn't recommend getting LL until it is the last resort. A lot of patients get nasty surprises after getting LL. Nobody is perfect. Doctors make mistakes, even Dr. Paley does. While I was at the Paley Institute, he broke a patient's femur at a bad angle, and that patient had to stop short of his lengthening goal because of it. Another time, a patient's rod wasn't lengthening, and he didn't find out until 2 weeks later when he went to get his x-ray. And because he didn't lengthen on one leg, his bone fused back and they had to operate on him again. This set him back 2 weeks and put him back in the hospital again. Another patient who did his tibias had nerve damage, and can't move his big toe anymore. Whether he'd recover from it or not is unknown. But for the month that I saw him before I left Florida, he wasn't able to move his big toe.

I wish more patients who had bad experiences would tell their stories, but a lot of them are too embarrassed to or fear revenge from the doctor. Since they can't speak up for themselves, I'll tell their stories and face the consequences.

The main reason why I write my experience is to let you know in great detail exactly what you're getting yourself into. I'm a bad example, though, because I've been mostly incident-free throughout the LL. I'm considered very lucky to get to 8 cm. And even though I come from a very hard working ethic, it took a lot of effort for me to do so. A lot of the other patients stopped around 7 cm because of problems here and there. One tibia patient almost had to stop at 5 cm because his bone was growing too fast. So I highly recommend that you don't do LL if you don't have to. If I had to give an estimate of the patients I saw, 4 out of 5 patients had some kind of problem at some point in their recovery, which I explained above. I was the 5th patient who didn't have a problem during lengthening among my group of 5 LL patients and the only one who got to 8 cm that I know of. However, my bone growth has been slow and I will be one of the unlucky ones who probably will not be able to walk until 8 months instead of 5 months after surgery.

Some other stories I heard regarding Paley patients while browsing these forums:
- ProgramDude broke his femur after rod removal
- Some chinese patient was too tight and wasn't able to get to 8 cm without an IT band release. But instead of $5,000, Paley tried to charge him $25,000 or something like that, because it's a separate surgery.
- Iamready had to slow down his lengthening because of tightness and pain
Banned for wrongly implying a patient death/posting incomplete information and repeated spamming/bumping irrelevant threads to post about Dr Monegal/MMaker despite warning.

53dude

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2015, 08:55:09 PM »

If you know, share bro, it could be useful

LLuser1

• Banned
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2015, 10:31:44 PM »

Dr Monegal doesn’t tell the truth about his patients. He uses to prepare a tour for his prospective patients, like a salesman does. He shows them the clinic and the guesthouse but he only shows what he wants them to know.

In October some prospective patients visited Dr Monegal’s center and met some actual patients. I have visited the center. Glenn described this tour in his diary. Everything seemed fine but the doctor didn’t tell all the truth to his future patients. He introduced these people to all his current patients but one girl who was also at the guesthouse and who has had very serious complications (Musicmaker??). This is for me a case of dishonesty. I learnt about this after my trip.

I can understand that this is a difficult surgery and sometimes things go wrong, but doctor said none of his patients had had complications which wasn’t true.

After the trip, I made some research. I asked some people (patients and people from the forum) and got to know that it’s not only this girl who had problems, but other people. It seems there is one American guy whose implant failed. Dr told him that he had to be exfixed and he had to pay around 7000 eur. Finally the company sent a free implant for him but it failed too and he had to go to OR again. It isn’t about money but about all the trauma and suffering for that guy. It seems he hasn’t been compensated. 

I don’t have more evidence of this than what I have been told.  Perhaps patients and doctor himself can explain but I think people should know about this. I feel deceived by the doctor. Dr Monegal should have acted like honest doctors do and say, ‘Look, guys, I try my best, but sometimes complications occur and these are the complications I have had’. But he lied. He said all his surgeries were fantastic and it seems there were at least two people with major complications and other people with other problems like misalignments, screws getting loose and nerve problems which required additional surgeries and consultations with other surgeons.

There are many LL doctors like that. They are businessmen instead of doctors. It seems LL corrupts doctors.

Tiny

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2015, 10:37:54 PM »

Good thing he's online right now.

Paging Dr Monegal...  ;D

beingtallerdream

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2015, 09:54:27 AM »

Dr Monegal doesn’t tell the truth about his patients. He uses to prepare a tour for his prospective patients, like a salesman does. He shows them the clinic and the guesthouse but he only shows what he wants them to know.

In October some prospective patients visited Dr Monegal’s center and met some actual patients. I have visited the center. Glenn described this tour in his diary. Everything seemed fine but the doctor didn’t tell all the truth to his future patients. He introduced these people to all his current patients but one girl who was also at the guesthouse and who has had very serious complications (Musicmaker??). This is for me a case of dishonesty. I learnt about this after my trip.

I can understand that this is a difficult surgery and sometimes things go wrong, but doctor said none of his patients had had complications which wasn’t true.

After the trip, I made some research. I asked some people (patients and people from the forum) and got to know that it’s not only this girl who had problems, but other people. It seems there is one American guy whose implant failed. Dr told him that he had to be exfixed and he had to pay around 7000 eur. Finally the company sent a free implant for him but it failed too and he had to go to OR again. It isn’t about money but about all the trauma and suffering for that guy. It seems he hasn’t been compensated. 

I don’t have more evidence of this than what I have been told.  Perhaps patients and doctor himself can explain but I think people should know about this. I feel deceived by the doctor. Dr Monegal should have acted like honest doctors do and say, ‘Look, guys, I try my best, but sometimes complications occur and these are the complications I have had’. But he lied. He said all his surgeries were fantastic and it seems there were at least two people with major complications and other people with other problems like misalignments, screws getting loose and nerve problems which required additional surgeries and consultations with other surgeons.

There are many LL doctors like that. They are businessmen instead of doctors. It seems LL corrupts doctors.
So are you saying monegal is a bad doctor and you don't recommend him? I emailed him several times and he seemed really nice and friendly.. (He answers questions pretty well,etc and the price is decent). Reckon it's a bit fishy? If so what other doctor would you recommend?

Deads

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2015, 10:14:49 AM »

So are you saying monegal is a bad doctor and you don't recommend him? I emailed him several times and he seemed really nice and friendly.. (He answers questions pretty well,etc and the price is decent). Reckon it's a bit fishy? If so what other doctor would you recommend?

Dr M is a good doctor... There's been drama with a couple of specific members slandering his name with no proof. One of those members has been banned because he was just trolling..

programdude

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2015, 02:48:57 PM »

The surgery is dangerous for sure. I remember seeing that article but it kind of struck me as over the top and that she wasnt fully with it.

Regardless, dramatized or not, take it from me there can be some nightmarish times associated with this.
Dr. Paley Patient- Surgery completed successfully on July 22nd
My Diary for those who want a real play by play to know what to expect:http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=733.0

Starting height: 5 8
End Height-:5 11 +

goldenegg

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2015, 01:15:59 AM »

Much respect to Doingitforme for sharing those stories.  It's definitely important to hear the good and bad with any doctor so that prospective patients are well informed and know what they're getting into.  While I was lengthening I saw a another patient of Dr. Guichet with the same drop toe issue.  it's from stretching the nerves and I don't think any doctor really has control over that or can prevent it.  it is important though how they handle it and that it's recognized.  even after reading about the complications, they're not as bad as the horror stories of non-unions and broken nails I've also read about.  Like others have posted, this surgery is risky and no doctor is perfect, but I'm convinced that Dr. Paley is one of the safest doctors in the world for LL.

alps

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2015, 04:18:08 PM »

goldenegg, what happened to that guy with the drop toe?

Also, I used to think that foot drops are very unlikely with femur lengthening.

programdude

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2015, 04:42:01 PM »

Its worth adding to doingitforme's list that at Paleys I encountered:

Screws coming out of female tibia
Someone getting too tight to continue(didn't do release)
Someones rod breaking

Obviously not as severe as the ones he listed, some of which are quite terrible.
My Diary for those who want a real play by play to know what to expect:http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=733.0

ouroboros

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2015, 06:19:52 PM »

Someone getting too tight to continue(didn't do release)

Just curious, in this patients case; was he not able to continue because the pain was unbearable, or was it because precise2 was not strong enough to overcome the resistance of his tense muscles?   Dr Betz mentioned that weak distraction mechanism is one of the shortfalls of precise nail, and that is the real reason why Paley always recommends ITB release

programdude

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2015, 11:05:06 PM »

He was getting too tight to continue. I don't think the devise had failed yet but was likely approaching that point.

Pages: [1]   Go Up