Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Your experience of pain during and after Limb lengthening procedure!  (Read 4487 times)

Daylight

I create this topic in hope of learning from a variety of experiences from all LL patients. What was your worst experience of pain? For now, my biggest fear would be about the catheter :D I looked for it on the internet, and that   really freaks me out :))

Deads

Re: Your experience of pain during and after Limb lengthening procedure!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 08:00:50 PM »

Haha, I'm an assistant nurse. I remember the first time I had to assist putting a catheter in. Nearly fainted. I've never felt that way about anything else before. I've seen disoriented people rip them out and it's messed up.

..... But, you'll be under an anaesthetic, so you'll wake up with it already in. The worst part is putting it in. Once it's in, it's fine.

Just don't get it caught on anything or else it'll be like pulling a marble through a straw... Joking haha.

DoingItForMe

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 01:46:02 AM »

I create this topic in hope of learning from a variety of experiences from all LL patients. What was your worst experience of pain? For now, my biggest fear would be about the catheter :D I looked for it on the internet, and that crap really freaks me out :))
As someone who had a catheter taken out, then put back in and then taken back out again while not on pain meds, I can tell that that was one of the sharpest pains. It feels like stabbing your pee hole with an ice pick. BUT, the worst pain is actually when they release you from the hospital and you're off the powerful hospital pain meds. That's when you feel like someone is ripping your open wound apart. It's not as painful as the catheter, but at least the catheter pain only lasts a few minutes. The other pain lasts for hours and feels like torture.
8 cm gained with Dr. Paley using Precice 2.1 internal femurs in Summer 2015.
Starting height: 167 cm (5'6") Currently at: 175 cm (5'9")
Link to my experience

alps

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 12:51:35 PM »

As someone who had a catheter taken out, then put back in and then taken back out again while not on pain meds, I can tell that that was one of the sharpest pains. It feels like stabbing your pee hole with an ice pick. BUT, the worst pain is actually when they release you from the hospital and you're off the powerful hospital pain meds. That's when you feel like someone is ripping your open wound apart. It's not as painful as the catheter, but at least the catheter pain only lasts a few minutes. The other pain lasts for hours and feels like torture.

regarding post discharge pain, what pain was the worst? open wound = surgery incisions? or catheter related wounds? or pain due to broken bones?

because you wouldn't have started distraction yet, I don't see why it should pain so much. how long did it last?

treemonger

• Newbi
  • Visitor
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 01:15:42 PM »

I had bilateral femur surgery yesterday. The pain on my right leg is a 2, my left leg 0.

The most discomfort I'm experiencing right now is not even my legs, but the IV needle on my back, especially when I move around.

I'm a little scared about the pain I'll experience after I leave the hospital..

@DoingItForMe: How many days were you hooked up to the drip? I'm expected to stay 5-7 days here. Hopefully the worst pains subside by then.

Deads

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 01:39:54 PM »

Well reading that made me feel queezy.. You definitely earned your 8cm haha

Alu

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 02:55:56 PM »

I had bilateral femur surgery yesterday. The pain on my right leg is a 2, my left leg 0.

The most discomfort I'm experiencing right now is not even my legs, but the IV needle on my back, especially when I move around.

@DoingItForMe: How many days were you hooked up to the drip? I'm expected to stay 5-7 days here. Hopefully the worst pains subside by then.

Oh so you just started? May I ask just who exactly you're doctor is and if you're gonna start your own diary?
Good luck!

spyratoss

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 03:01:19 PM »

I haven't done the limb lengthening procedure yet but had a urethral catheter and was awake.  The insertion was very painful, I will not lie.  And then pulling it out really burned but it was at least quick.  It depends on the doctor.  If they do it while you're under GA, the insertion, it's ok.  Don't let it be done while awake but that depends on the surgeon.

treemonger

• Newbi
  • Visitor
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, 04:38:59 PM »

Oh so you just started? May I ask just who exactly you're doctor is and if you're gonna start your own diary?
Good luck!

I don't plan to start a diary because the process for bilateral Fitbone/Precice are identical and is well documented on both forums. The Monegal train is really strong right now and don't see it stopping anytime soon. If you were a member of the old forum back in the early '00s there was a huge wave of people going to China. The same thing is happening with Monegal in Spain.

While theres a lot of useful information on this forum, the members themselves breed a lot of negativity in addition to not knowing what the hell they're talking about. Like I don't need someone who's not a doctor or a troll to enter my diary and tell me my proportions are going to be fked up at 6cm or something.

I've read your posts on this forum and you seem like a level headed guy. Hope you will be able to do it soon. I can only say good things about Monegal at this point.

Alu

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2015, 05:27:15 PM »

I don't plan to start a diary because the process for bilateral Fitbone/Precice are identical and is well documented on both forums. The Monegal train is really strong right now and don't see it stopping anytime soon. If you were a member of the old forum back in the early '00s there was a huge wave of people going to China. The same thing is happening with Monegal in Spain.

While theres a lot of useful information on this forum, the members themselves breed a lot of negativity in addition to not knowing what the hell they're talking about. Like I don't need someone who's not a doctor or a troll to enter my diary and tell me my proportions are going to be fked up at 6cm or something.

I've read your posts on this forum and you seem like a level headed guy. Hope you will be able to do it soon. I can only say good things about Monegal at this point.

Yeah I get you 100% mate. All things considering I really want to get this out of the way as soon as possible and move on with my life and this forum (even though not everyone here is that bad); so right now I'm just looking into my options. So far I'm looking into getting admission into the Monegal train because of my plan (4+4 CM in each); I would have done it with Paley but the price of QL (170K) just isn't worth it in my opinion.

Anyways, I wish you luck in your journey and if you could keep posted on your experience I'd very much appreciated it!  ;D

DoingItForMe

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2015, 08:53:54 PM »

regarding post discharge pain, what pain was the worst? open wound = surgery incisions? or catheter related wounds? or pain due to broken bones?

because you wouldn't have started distraction yet, I don't see why it should pain so much. how long did it last?
There's not much open wound pain. Those are just little holes in your legs and they only hurt when you put pressure on it. Catheter is as bad as it sounds. It was the first time I saw my penis spew blood out. The worst pain is inside your legs where the broken bone in. It feels like someone is ripping your flesh apart, but you can't see it. The pain is internal and you can't really stop it by doing anything. You can try to take the pain meds, but sometimes the pain is so bad that the pain meds can't help. This lasted for the first 2 weeks or so. The hospital stay wasn't so bad because they drip ivy pain meds into you. It's powerful stuff and numbs out all the pain. Once they release you, it's a different story.

You start distraction since day 1. They even do 1 mm during the surgery. Only exception are those who can't handle the distraction. Then they wait 3 days or so first.
Link to my experience

DoingItForMe

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2015, 08:57:19 PM »

You're hooked up to the drip for 3 days or so. But they can still inject the ivy pain meds into your hands, because they leave the needles/tubes in you in case they need to hook you back up. The pain med I got at the hospital was called Toradol. And that stuff worked amazingly. They also gave me 2 pills of percocet every 4 hours, which helped. But Toradel was the stuff that let me rest easy. It just washes away all the pain within 45 minutes.
Link to my experience

Sweden

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2015, 11:49:01 PM »

Your ankles will hurt every day for the rest of your life. If you do tibias.
173cm before LL with Sarin, jan -13. Now 180cm tall. Considering 5cm on femurs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up