Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Discussion about getting taller as well as whole body measurements increased.  (Read 1673 times)

bluebarbie

As soon as after my distraction is done and gained my 8cms of height.. I started noticing my body especially my thighs started filling back in.Then I started to look more muscular on my shoulders and arms but I thought it was the result of using my hands and arms more and of crutches. But now after four months and I found many changes on my body. I had always been 84 to 86 pounds my whole life. But now I m over 90. My friends and family told me I gained weight and I look way taller than I was before. I became bigger. All my former clothes don't fit me anymore. My waist, hips, chest area, arms, neck, hands, thighs and even my face all got bigger. .My family said my body is just trying to adapt to the changes of my the new height.
 What do you think ? Have anyone of you experience it?
I wanted to be taller with my old body measurements so that i look slim and tall with long legs. I loved my old body except my short thighs. Now I feel my body is also getting bigger and I look like a new person. Like I m not that unique small little girl anymore. (I don't eat fatty stuff or any food that could make the changes and I don't workout or train my upper body at the gym)
What could have happened? Share me your experiences, thoughts and opinions.?

Latn with Dr Sarbjit Singh(Singapore)
Surgery dates: first (10.01.2015), second (16.07.2015)
Lenghtening finished (01.05.2015)
Starting height 145cms, Goal 7 to 7.5cms
Achieved 7.9cms. Lenghtened 8.4cms so lost only 5mms on second internal nailing surgery.

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member

As a skinny guy, I would've liked to get a little bigger after LL, but that didn't happen to me.

glenn

Hey Blue!

I haven't finished distracting yet, but I'm very close to my goal of 7cm already. I've noticed that I've definitely lost the flab in my arms and have gained muscle definition from pushing the wheelchair for the past two months. Also, shoulders and chest have gotten stronger from lifting myself to a standing position with crutches, as well as from lifting myself up stairs.

Peculiarly, I've also noticed that some of my t-shirts are shorter. I think this is because femur lengthening somehow changes the biomechanics and you're forced to stand in different way, which affects your posture. I used to slouch a lot before my surgery. (Or maybe it's because I have more self confidence now and I stand taller).

Although you're not doing resistance training in your upper body at the gym, the fact is you're still going to the gym almost everyday. It's logical to assume that your body as a whole is adapting in some way. Also, hefting yourself out of your seat or into your car everyday without putting stress on your legs takes more upper body strength than you realize.

Since returning home, my belly has more fat. Mainly because family is pampering me so I'm eating too well and sleeping too much. When I put all these factors together I do notice a difference in my pre-op size. T-shirts that used to fit "just right" are now "a little too snug". I used to be a chubby guy when I was younger, so I know what you mean about having a big face. If you're worried about obesity try going on a very low-carb diet for about two weeks and see how it goes.

I think a little bit of weight gain is normal, though. You are, after all, growing. I think it would be weird if you didn't gain weight since you are increasing in mass. Just to give you an idea, I'm roughly 5% taller now, and 7% heavier. If my math is correct, you are 6.2% taller than before and you are saying you're 5.9% heavier now. I can't say for certain that there's any direct relationship between height gained and weight increase, but it's pretty logical to see that there should be some natural correlation.

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil

I lost 45 lbs by the time I returned from India. Maintained my arm strength but my chest got a lot weaker. Clothes certainly fit differently.

Bluebarbie,  you likely gained some muscle in your rehab.
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

bluebarbie

Thank you for the opinions. I guess it may also may to do with drinking lots of milk as it contains fat, right? But I dont want to take skimmed milk coz i have this weird feeling that it may have less nutrients in it ::).

And like glen and kilo mentioned of increased mass or muscle...yeh it have to be a contribute to the weight gain. ..more bone mass...more muscle on upper body due to more usage and the leaned lenghtened legs are now gaining back the shape so all that could make up to more weight plus bigger looking body. Thank you guys. Best of luck with your recovery too.
Latn with Dr Sarbjit Singh(Singapore)
Surgery dates: first (10.01.2015), second (16.07.2015)
Lenghtening finished (01.05.2015)
Starting height 145cms, Goal 7 to 7.5cms
Achieved 7.9cms. Lenghtened 8.4cms so lost only 5mms on second internal nailing surgery.

DoingItForMe

Like I m not that unique small little girl anymore. (I don't eat fatty stuff or any food that could make the changes and I don't workout or train my upper body at the gym)
I'm the same weight as when I was pre-op. I lost about 10 lbs after the surgery. But gained it back when I stopped lengthening. And the way I maintained the weight was to eat less carbs (dietary fibers are okay). My diet is mostly fat and protein. These foods will keep you full longer, and thus you will not eat as much. BUT I stopped doing my low carb diet after I realized that I'm probably slowing down my bone growth by restricting my calories. So I added carbs back into my diet. Now I gained maybe 5 lbs over my average weight, and I noticed the fat going to my belly. It was easy to gain the weight, because I barely get to walk around much now, so the amount of calories I burnt are very low. But I'm waiting until I can fully weight bear before I cut down on my calorie intake again.

Prior to surgery I lost about 15 lbs by going on a low-carb diet and exercising. If you want to try to lose weight, cut down the amount of carbs you eat. I managed to reduce my calorie intake to about 1,000 calories or so per day because the protein and fat kept me full for a longer period of time. And lost about 10 lbs in a month and then 5 lbs in the second month. During that time, my face got skinnier and my belly fat slimmed down.
8 cm gained with Dr. Paley using Precice 2.1 internal femurs in Summer 2015.
Starting height: 167 cm (5'6") Currently at: 175 cm (5'9")
Link to my experience
Pages: [1]   Go Up