Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Squat, deadlift and bodybuilding in general.  (Read 9180 times)

Uppland

Squat, deadlift and bodybuilding in general.
« on: October 17, 2015, 11:27:00 AM »

How does LL affect bodybuilding?

I've just started my first bodybuilding routine, I want to create strong leg muscles to help with the surgery but I also want to build a good body overall. However my squat and deadlift form is quite bad as it is and I imagine it will be even worse with 5cm longer femurs. Will I be able to build my body effectively after surgery?

My goal is to have a taller but still healthy and good looking body, is it possible?

KrP1

Re: Squat, deadlift and bodybuilding in general.
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 12:51:42 PM »

How does LL affect bodybuilding?

I've just started my first bodybuilding routine, I want to create strong leg muscles to help with the surgery but I also want to build a good body overall. However my squat and deadlift form is quite bad as it is and I imagine it will be even worse with 5cm longer femurs. Will I be able to build my body effectively after surgery?

My goal is to have a taller but still healthy and good looking body, is it possible?

I recommed you to do a lot of stretches . Is more important for the surgery to have good elasticity than have strong or muscular legs

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 12:53:36 PM »

My squatting is pretty much the same with elongated tibias, not sure how it'd affect a femur patient.

Thatdude950

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 01:13:02 PM »

Heaviest squat I've seen is RGkey. From memory, it was 150 pounds (I'm happy to be corrected if wrong). This is stronger than someone who doesn't train, but not by much. For reference I squat 385 @ 175 lbs. I can't imagine someone getting anywhere near that level after LL. Again I'm happy to be proven wrong.

You might be able to bodybuild if you make a lot of adjustments, and use low weight/high volume. But you can probably forget about strength.

Uppland

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2015, 01:22:31 PM »

Heaviest squat I've seen is RGkey. From memory, it was 150 pounds (I'm happy to be corrected if wrong). This is stronger than someone who doesn't train, but not by much. For reference I squat 385 @ 175 lbs. I can't imagine someone getting anywhere near that level after LL. Again I'm happy to be proven wrong.

You might be able to bodybuild if you make a lot of adjustments, and use low weight/high volume. But you can probably forget about strength.

This is what I was afraid of, maybe this surgery is a bad idea. Then again, I really dislike my current height, hard to say if it'll be worth it.

I recommed you to do a lot of stretches . Is more important for the surgery to have good elasticity than have strong or muscular legs

I'm doing both.

Alu

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2015, 01:49:06 PM »

A bit different but gives you an idea of how proportions affect squatting:

programdude

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2015, 01:53:59 PM »

Its rough with bodybuilding. Not only are legs stretched and atrophied, so you need to not only rebuild muscle, but a lot more of it for the same look on the stretched muscles, but you need to recover to a point you can lift properly and its safe to do so.

Seeing as I broke mine without even trying to get my legs to match my torso, it speaks to how tricky that can be.
Dr. Paley Patient- Surgery completed successfully on July 22nd
My Diary for those who want a real play by play to know what to expect:http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=733.0

Starting height: 5 8
End Height-:5 11 +

Uppland

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2015, 02:20:23 PM »

Its rough with bodybuilding. Not only are legs stretched and atrophied, so you need to not only rebuild muscle, but a lot more of it for the same look on the stretched muscles, but you need to recover to a point you can lift properly and its safe to do so.

Seeing as I broke mine without even trying to get my legs to match my torso, it speaks to how tricky that can be.

Yes, my one hope is that I am doing 3 cm less than you did.

How was training? Especially interested in how your form changed with longer femurs, it must have been hard to do the same kind of movements.

Joel

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2015, 10:21:04 PM »

Not sure why you want to powerlift afterwards as you can just do dips, lunges, push ups, and train the muscles using your body weight.  I don't get why people are so wanting to do these exercises which before LL can ruin your joints if you do them wrong.  Just do body weight and use machines, actually work the muscle.  Strength and muscle size will come over time working out, you can't just make your bones 2-3 inches longer and think oh well hey guess I'm gonna get make my muscles strong and big.

This is so weird that people want to do this plus deadlifts make your waist thicker which is why I no longer do them or squats. 
5'5 manlet of peace

Uppland

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2015, 11:45:59 AM »

Not sure why you want to powerlift afterwards as you can just do dips, lunges, push ups, and train the muscles using your body weight.  I don't get why people are so wanting to do these exercises which before LL can ruin your joints if you do them wrong.  Just do body weight and use machines, actually work the muscle.  Strength and muscle size will come over time working out, you can't just make your bones 2-3 inches longer and think oh well hey guess I'm gonna get make my muscles strong and big.

This is so weird that people want to do this plus deadlifts make your waist thicker which is why I no longer do them or squats.

I've heard machines only train one specific muscle movement. I'd like to improve my overall strength.

pablo1989

• Visitor
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2015, 10:12:59 AM »

Hey,

I used to lift a lot. Uppland, you are right. Machines force us to make unnatural movements and sculpt only particular muscles. As you mentioned, the best exercises for lower part of body are deadlifts and squats. I also encourage you to sprint but twice a week at most. For upper body the best exercises are bench press, pusch ups, pull ups, dips, cleans, street workout exercises and also sprints.

If you want to gain muscle mass do about 7 reps for every set (60-80% of your maxes). For strength 1-3 reps(80-100%). For both - 5 reps(about 75%). To boost your overall explosivness do 5 reps with weight for about 50% of your maxes and do every rep as fast as you can.

Don't use machines!!!

Uppland

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2015, 12:34:03 PM »

Thanks Pablo, but aren't you worried how this will be affected by weaker and longer femurs?

pablo1989

• Visitor
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2015, 03:11:34 PM »

Uppland, no i am not. I am worried about your attitude :) I am that kind of person who believe that everything is possible. You are very young and your body will get used to changes in your body. Besides 5cm is not much.

It is hard to evaluate the rate of regeneration. I am not an expert but I had many injuries in the past and I always managed to return and then to improve my shape. I don't expect anything I just try my best.

By the way, jumping is also great for body. It involves many muscles to work. You may call Stefan Holm or Christian Olsson and ask for workout routine :)

Uppland

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2015, 03:28:48 PM »

Uppland, no i am not. I am worried about your attitude :) I am that kind of person who believe that everything is possible. You are very young and your body will get used to changes in your body. Besides 5cm is not much.

It is hard to evaluate the rate of regeneration. I am not an expert but I had many injuries in the past and I always managed to return and then to improve my shape. I don't expect anything I just try my best.

By the way, jumping is also great for body. It involves many muscles to work. You may call Stefan Holm or Christian Olsson and ask for workout routine :)

My grandma actually knew Björn Borg lol.

Thanks for the encouragment but have you been through the procedure yet, if not how can you be so sure?

Thatdude950

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2015, 03:32:18 PM »

You can listen to Pablo who has his head in the clouds, or you can actually look at the evidence and reach the same conclusion every reasonable person will make - which is that unless proven otherwise no one is squatting/deadlifting a decent amount of weight post LL. You're about the same height as me. Go live your life. Train hard & enjoy your well functioning body.

Uppland

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2015, 03:53:53 PM »

You can listen to Pablo who has his head in the clouds, or you can actually look at the evidence and reach the same conclusion every reasonable person will make - which is that unless proven otherwise no one is squatting/deadlifting a decent amount of weight post LL. You're about the same height as me. Go live your life. Train hard & enjoy your well functioning body.

The closest I've seen is Shyshy doing 260 kg leg presses:

[video][/video]
Pages: [1]   Go Up