Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is 5CM that much safer?  (Read 4878 times)

Uppland

Is 5CM that much safer?
« on: October 08, 2015, 03:04:49 AM »

Is there really such a large difference between 5 and 7CM?

Sometimes people on here act as if lowering your goal by just 2CM would nullify most risks.

And what is it really that causes so much damage, is it the amount lengthened, the speed or just the surgery itself?

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
Re: Is 5CM that much safer?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 03:18:32 AM »

Personally, I didn't notice any additional difficulties when passing 5cm.  LL is a very individual thing so it's hard to come up with rules that would apply to everyone.

Alu

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 03:29:42 AM »

^^^

Everything in this process is relative to that person. But I will say it seems that ultimately 5 CM or less seems to be very safe in terms of consolidation and the stretching of one's own nerves, muscles, and soft tissues. Just because of how little one is stretching everything out. This is part of the reason why I'm still planning on doing 5 cm in each segment; a much longer (and harder) road, but one that seems to have the most payoff.

But still I don't think this should deter people from possibly wanting more in your femurs (tibia ehh not so much) along the lines of 8cm. 

crimsontide

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 05:28:26 AM »

ask sweden if theres a difference

theres a difference... once u  hit 6 and above... many of us experience issues that prolongs recovery

Penguinn

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 07:45:58 AM »

Sometimes people on here act as if lowering your goal by just 2CM would nullify most risks.
You're the one who does that! ;D

I'm guessing everyone's body has a certain limit after which things rapidly start getting significantly worse. From my point of view, I thought if 5 or 6cm is the safe amount, 7 or 8 could be worked and stretched towards. But anyone doing this should be open minded about the complications they face and not adamant about reaching a certain goal no matter what they lose.

theuprising

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 08:13:33 AM »

What you have forgotten is that when we're talking about LL don't think about it just in terms of cm but in terms of percentage of original bone length. 2 cm when looking at a ruler is minimal but when considered as a percentage of overall bone length it can be significant.

The other point being that while there is no limit hypothetically about how much a bone can be lengthened (forgetting bio-mechanics,proportions etc) there is a limit on how far your muscles, tendons and ligaments can be stretched before you develop permanent weakness.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 08:35:26 AM by theuprising »

Uppland

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 09:44:19 AM »

What you have forgotten is that when we're talking about LL don't think about it just in terms of cm but in terms of percentage of original bone length. 2 cm when looking at a ruler is minimal but when considered as a percentage of overall bone length it can be significant.

The other point being that while there is no limit hypothetically about how much a bone can be lengthened (forgetting bio-mechanics,proportions etc) there is a limit on how far your muscles, tendons and ligaments can be stretched before you develop permanent weakness.

I see, but differences in bone length should have less of an impact than the length of your soft tissue no?

My femurs are perhaps 3-4CM longer than someone who is 10CM shorter than me, not very significant.

theuprising

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 09:48:20 AM »

I see, but differences in bone length should have less of an impact than the length of your soft tissue no?

My femurs are perhaps 3-4CM longer than someone who is 10CM shorter than me, not very significant.

What is the point you are making?

Uppland

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 04:21:02 PM »

What is the point you are making?

That the flexibility of your soft tissue is more important than percentage of original bone length.

theuprising

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 04:47:46 PM »

That the flexibility of your soft tissue is more important than percentage of original bone length.

The doctors use percentage of original bone length as it is a reliable marker of how far all the soft tissues, tendons etc will stretch.
I know of course everyone is the exception to the rule on this forum and these things don't apply however I personally would take a doctors opinion who has seen hundreds of recovered patients and knows that the less the lengthening you do the better the long term recovery rather than the alarming amount of bro science on this forum from guys wanting to do more than recommended,

There have even been doctors contributing on this very topic but I'm sure this will get buried and someone will ask it again in a few months.

becometaller

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2015, 05:00:44 PM »

The doctors use percentage of original bone length as it is a reliable marker of how far all the soft tissues, tendons etc will stretch.
I know of course everyone is the exception to the rule on this forum and these things don't apply however I personally would take a doctors opinion who has seen hundreds of recovered patients and knows that the less the lengthening you do the better the long term recovery rather than the alarming amount of bro science on this forum from guys wanting to do more than recommended,

There have even been doctors contributing on this very topic but I'm sure this will get buried and someone will ask it again in a few months.

Bro science LMFAO

Uppland

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2015, 07:16:16 PM »

Not at all, I'll believe you if you would just link or quote a surgeon.

Thanks.

theuprising

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2015, 07:40:10 PM »

Not at all, I'll believe you if you would just link or quote a surgeon.

Thanks.

Specifically search Dr Franz Birkholtz or Dr Donghoon Lee and their thoughts. 
Out of curiosity you're usually very conscious of proportions and recovery
are you trying to justify doing some more cm?

I ask as that's usually why people post these sorts of threads.

Morpheus34

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2015, 08:33:40 PM »

Do 9cm on tibias, and call it a day! :D

Greetings Morpheus

Sweden

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2015, 08:52:54 PM »

Still haven't lengthened yet?

Don't pass 5,5cm as a absolute maximum in tibias. There is a world of difference.

I can sense the aches and stretch every day still.

Right now I've been struggling with a broken foot for 5 months. It happened bc of new shoes and X-legs and its real bad. Another downside of LL nobody thinks of.
I was doing 5 hours of competitive sports, I just can't let it go. I still haven't come back to "real life" with working and studying. I tried it but it was a disaster. I guess I'm messed up in the head still.....
Yes, downside of LL too.

There is so much more than just a couple of cm.
173cm before LL with Sarin, jan -13. Now 180cm tall. Considering 5cm on femurs.

Uppland

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2015, 12:05:19 AM »

Still haven't lengthened yet?

Don't pass 5,5cm as a absolute maximum in tibias. There is a world of difference.

I can sense the aches and stretch every day still.

Right now I've been struggling with a broken foot for 5 months. It happened bc of new shoes and X-legs and its real bad. Another downside of LL nobody thinks of.
I was doing 5 hours of competitive sports, I just can't let it go. I still haven't come back to "real life" with working and studying. I tried it but it was a disaster. I guess I'm messed up in the head still.....
Yes, downside of LL too.

There is so much more than just a couple of cm.

No I'm trying to get myself in shape at the moment. Though recently I've been having second thoughts with programdudes situation and all.

I'll be doing internal femurs so x legs shouldn't be a problem.

Joel

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2015, 03:23:42 PM »

Some people may not even be able to do 5cm on their tibia if at 3cm or 4cm I feel as if I got ballerina and it's uber bad logic tells me that doing 5cm is not a good idea.  Use common sense that also helps.
5'5 manlet of peace
Pages: [1]   Go Up