Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Medications for expediting bone formation & consolidation in LL  (Read 1435 times)

maximize

The greatest problem with LL for me and I think many others is the amount of time it takes. Sacrificing 6 months (or up to a year) to gain a few inches is difficult financially, professionally, socially, and psychologically. I think the single greatest improvement to LL would be if we had a way to make it proceed faster and more efficiently.

There are a few common medications that can affect bone formation/healing, all primarily used in osteoporosis. These are:

1) Bisphosphonates - These are the first line osteoporosis medications. These inhibit osteoclasts (cells that break down bone) and thus strengthen bone and encourage its formation. These have proven utility in helping heal nonunions. In animal studies, they increase callus formation and possibly bone strength.

2) Denosumab - This newer medication is similarly used for osteoporosis and also inhibits osteoclasts. Animal studies show faster bone healing with increased strength of bone formation.

3) Parathyroid hormone (teriparatide) - This medication is unique in activating osteoblasts (bone formation cells) to produce an anabolic effect on bone. One study of wrist fractures in women showed 16% faster healing with an appropriate dose of teriparatide.

Overall, in looking at this issue, I am very disappointed by the lack of clinical trials to test these medications for fracture healing in people. Here is a 2010 article reviewing the evidence (primarily animal studies) for the above:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2897998/

Here is a more recent 2015 article reviewing the evidence specifically for teriparatide in fracture healing:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4501931/

Teriparatide, possibly concurrent with denosumab, would likely provide the best benefits during LL, but unfortunately we don't have really great evidence, since the studies are lacking.

If there is any place LL can still improve and move forward, I think this is it. Hopefully we will have better studies in the future so LL doctors can feel safe and confident in using these kinds of medications routinely to expedite our processes.

If anyone is working with an LL doctor currently for care, I would be curious if you could ask them what their thoughts on this subject and these medications would be.

goldenegg

Re: Medications for expediting bone formation & consolidation in LL
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 03:32:34 AM »

I did LL with Dr Guichet and he prescribed me a bisphosphonate called actonel / risedronate due to my low bone density.  Tough to tell if it's helped speed up my bone consolidation because it's been slow regardless compared to other patients.  Taking it has improved my overall bone density though based on my last dexa exam, so so hopefully i have at least less chance of fracture.

Overdozer

Re: Medications for expediting bone formation & consolidation in LL
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 09:28:22 AM »

Cocaine. Speed. Mushrooms. Mescaline. MDMA. And all that  .

Illegal. Cocaine. For the dutch society. Cocaine. Your biggest friend.
Pre-surgery - 167 cm, Post-surgery - 181 cm
Final arm span - 177 cm, Sitting height - 90 cm

Lengthened 7.5 cm in tibias and femurs and 3.5 cm in each humerus. Surgeries performed all external by Dr. Kulesh, in Saint-Petersburg, Russia - http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=1671.0
Pages: [1]   Go Up