Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Reality Of LL  (Read 7892 times)

crimsontide

Reality Of LL
« on: August 25, 2015, 02:38:04 PM »

I just spoke with someone, I won't say whom

They think they will lengthen 7 cm, and walk perfectly in 5 months

Anyone that has had ll  will tell you that is not going to happen

I speak to a few people off the board, and can tell you that some guys that say they are doing perfectly, while doing fine, are never really 100%

You can choose to ignore this advice, but If you do this surgery, and especially if you go to 6, 7 cm, or more.... you will likely end up okay, but you will never be 100% of what you one were

That is the truth... I'm doing fine now, and don't regret anything. I doubt I'm 100% though, or ever will be...  I have no pain,etc.. but I'm sure my athletic abilities took a hit.

Be realistic about this surgery

TrueSpartan

Re: Reality Of LL
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 02:39:42 PM »

Thank you crimson, your honesty has been a huge contribution to this forum.

TrueSpartan

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 02:41:22 PM »

Crimson, if you could do leg lengthening again, would you save more money and go to the best possible doctor or rather, could you tell me what you would do, cheap and soon or save and do surgery later?

crimsontide

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 02:47:52 PM »

well,in the end  dont think it matters so much

it just takes onger if you have to fix deformities

it took me a while to get better from achilles srgery...  gotta revise the scar.. but my ballerina was bad

all in all,im okay

what i would do though for sure.... no exfix, id pay more for lon or possibly internal

id never do exfix

ty btw

YellowSpike

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 02:50:31 PM »

I'm afraid I have to agree with crimson on this one.

I feel like for most of us, when we say "full recovery," we are tolerating a lot of little annoyances (lingering pain, tightness, etc.). I personally am only 8 months out from 7cm, and I still have the nails inside. My recovery is ok, but not amazing.

I feel like ShyShy is really the only one who seems to have fully recovered, but I'm sure even he had some minor annoyances here and there (and I don't think he was an athlete, just works out at the gym and stuff like most of us). But I think it's virtually impossible to completely recover 100%, including athletic abilities. I'm not an athlete so didn't really care about that, though. If such recovery does occur, we are talking YEARS out, assuming the surgery was done well by a good surgeon. I'm confident my recovery will keep improving.

I must be a glutton for punishment, becuase I want more LL. lol. I will see how my overall recovery is next year. My only issue now really is lingering tightness. At this point ,I feel like, well I'm never gonna be 100% again, may as well go for a little more height. Sad, but true.

That is why I still cannot fathom 5'10" and up guys doing this. I understand everyone has their reasons (tall father/siblings, short for your country)...but if you're at least average at worst already, are you really willing to basically destroy your body and never get it back 100% just to be as tall as your dad/siblings (when you're already taller than a lot of guys and 99% of women)?

Keep Growing

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 03:19:13 PM »

Ok, but how about if I want to lengthen for only 3-4 cm? How will be recovery be in this situation?

Penguinn

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 03:23:10 PM »

It's still worth it. The guys 5'10 and higher doing this need psychological help though.

jaymorgan712

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 03:26:38 PM »

When I do mine, I plan on doing 5.1 centimetres in the tibia. 5 centimetres seems to be a safe limit for whatever reason. I have seen those that lengthen 6-7 centimetres and are only back to 80-90% recovery.
Currently Banned for fake diary until proper explanation is accounted for.

YellowSpike

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 03:29:58 PM »

It's still worth it. The guys 5'10 and higher doing this need psychological help though.

I dont think it's so much that they NEED psychological help in the "they are crazy" sense. But I do think at 5'10" or above, that psychological help would actually help them. Because if you're 5'10", chances are, you're not really getting called out for your height or experiencing discrimination much (including from most women) at all.

sadboy

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 03:32:44 PM »

Psychological help does NOT always work. Trust me on that one.

Also, I would like to add and say to many people on this forum, who know I cancelled my LL surgery the last minute, that I am sad and glad at the same time I did it. I wasn't ready for it. My height will always bother me, I am still sad about it but on the other hand I saved so much from it. I do not have to worry about complications anymore, sacrifice my body, fitness, time, money and so much more. I wasn't psychologically ready to go through with all of that and I felt such a relief when I got into the plane to fly back home... You guys cannot imagine. I felt free... But not free from my height... I seriously wish to change it one day, in the future. Hopefully LL improves by then or they discover something else (which I doubt) but hey, you never know. Technology and science reached so far and are improving day by day...

Penguinn

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2015, 03:35:28 PM »

When I do mine, I plan on doing 5.1 centimetres in the tibia. 5 centimetres seems to be a safe limit for whatever reason. I have seen those that lengthen 6-7 centimetres and are only back to 80-90% recovery.

Why "5.1"? Why that ".1"? Lol.

Penguinn

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2015, 03:43:17 PM »

Psychological help does NOT always work. Trust me on that one.

Also, I would like to add and say to many people on this forum, who know I cancelled my LL surgery the last minute, that I am sad and glad at the same time I did it. I wasn't ready for it. My height will always bother me, I am still sad about it but on the other hand I saved so much from it. I do not have to worry about complications anymore, sacrifice my body, fitness, time, money and so much more. I wasn't psychologically ready to go through with all of that and I felt such a relief when I got into the plane to fly back home... You guys cannot imagine. I felt free... But not free from my height... I seriously wish to change it one day, in the future. Hopefully LL improves by then or they discover something else (which I doubt) but hey, you never know. Technology and science reached so far and are improving day by day...

Not trying to be rude but by the time LL improves into something very efficient(which I doubt it will) you'll probably be much older and then doing LL will be pointless. Also, if improvements are coming, there's a bigger chance that those improvements will help treat minor complications that people with LL had right now. Looks like you're just throwing darts in the air and hoping to hit a target.

You had Dr. Paley too, you really should have done it. At least reconsider, if not, find a way to not let it bother you.

jaymorgan712

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2015, 03:54:48 PM »

Just have to absolutely certain I am 5 centimetres. That extra millimetre will be extra comfort to me!

But the problems tend to start happening as soon as you leave 5 centimetres!
Currently Banned for fake diary until proper explanation is accounted for.

Penguinn

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2015, 04:00:19 PM »

Just have to absolutely certain I am 5 centimetres. That extra millimetre will be extra comfort to me!

But the problems tend to start happening as soon as you leave 5 centimetres!

I think the problems have to do with the situation, method, doctor and general length more. I doubt someone that has no problems at 5cm starts getting severe aches after 2 or 3mm immediately..

Polycrates.

• Tyrant and Legatus Augusti pro praetore of LL Forum
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2015, 04:36:37 PM »

I dont think it's so much that they NEED psychological help in the "they are crazy" sense. But I do think at 5'10" or above, that psychological help would actually help them. Because if you're 5'10", chances are, you're not really getting called out for your height or experiencing discrimination much (including from most women) at all.

What about 5'9.5 (5'10 morning guys), as I was. I swear that stupid half inch was half of what drove me to LL, since everyone uses 5'10 as a cut off for pretty much all height related discussions.
Tibial LON for 6cm- Nov 2013, Dr Sringari -177/178cm to 183/184cm
Prospective Femoral Lengthening w/ Precise 3 (if out) Nail for 7cm- Jan 2019, Dr Birkholtz -183/184cm to 190/191cm

And it was here that he professed to his disciples: all of life's bounties lay somewhere upon the dreaded bell curve

Penguinn

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2015, 04:41:57 PM »

What about 5'9.5 (5'10 morning guys), as I was. I swear that stupid half inch was half of what drove me to LL, since everyone uses 5'10 as a cut off for pretty much all height related discussions.

I think that's unnecessary. Couldn't you lie about being 5'10? Only a 5'10 friend would notice the half inch difference...

Anyway, what height are you now, are you fully recovered, and do you think it was worth it?

NewHeights

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2015, 04:56:08 PM »

Wow, I found someone who thinks exactly as I do, as I'm a strong 5' 9", or weak 5' 10". 5' 10" is the new 6' in the psychology of height perception. I would never have signed up for this forum if I was a half inch taller.

If one has the discipline, time, and dedication, he may be able to squeeze out a third or half inch from inversion and glucosamine.
177CM/176CM morning/evening :( Wingspan 178 CM :( Inseam/Height 47.7% :( BPEL 7.5" :)
Option 1: Inversion and Glucosamine to 177+CM :)
Option 2: CLL to 180 CM :)
"Be the best version of yourself"

programdude

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2015, 05:05:52 PM »

I can't vouch for total recovery or not, but I can vouch that people are delusional if they think it will happen so quickly.

My rods are out and its over a year later and I am only JUST functioning about normally with everything but running. I know a few people who got lucky and claim almost full recovery much faster, but most did less, and some still have the odd slight complaint.
Dr. Paley Patient- Surgery completed successfully on July 22nd
My Diary for those who want a real play by play to know what to expect:http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=733.0

Starting height: 5 8
End Height-:5 11 +

theuprising

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2015, 05:08:51 PM »

Good rule of thumb is the less lengthening you can get away with the better. Problem being the shorter you are the more lengthening you want to have which is then a larger percentage of your original bone length, this in turn leads to problems regarding soft tissue stretching, proportions, bio mechanics and so on. From reading these forums for years there will always be the 165 cm guy who do the 15cm lengthenings and wreck their body. This won't change. LL is a mental issue just as much as physical.

programdude

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2015, 06:16:06 PM »

Yeah thats the harsh thing. Recommending conservative amounts to shorter guys for safety and proportions when they need it most.

I can't imagine doing my amount of lengthening on a farm naturally 5+ inches shorter than mine was to begin with.
My Diary for those who want a real play by play to know what to expect:http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=733.0

YellowSpike

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2015, 06:31:19 PM »

It was in your head. I can understand it since you're probably a perfectionist like me.

I don't know. 5'10" sounds better on paper than 5'9, but I feel like 5'9" is often used as a cutoff too (you could even argue 5'8", though most people look at 5'8" as where short starts, or low-end of average at the very best). I see a lot of girls with all three thresholds on Match (5'8, 5'9 and 5'10).

I used to think I'd be happy with 5'8". It's a huge improvement from where I was, but I still feel short (or at least, short-ish)most of the time. I'd like to be 5'10" ideally, but 5'9" I feel like is close enough, you're basically average and blend in nicely. Last night, my date (I think she's 5'3") said "what are you, like 5'10" I laughed internally, but it was kinda nice.

It sucks that I have to do another LL. LL is horrible. That's why I will never understand 5'10 and up people doing this (5'9.5" is close enough). This sh*t wrecks your body. Do you honestly NEED to destroy your body at 5'10?

Polycrates.

• Tyrant and Legatus Augusti pro praetore of LL Forum
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2015, 06:57:45 PM »

I agree with you. Life is a bitch. Being 6ft is sweet, but having all the effects of LL as well pretty much offsets the height. When I see 5'9/5'10 guys now, it's 50/50 as to whether I perceive them as short or now. A lot is dependent on build. Sometimes I'll see a guy walking toward me and think he must be at least my height, and he'll end up being shorter by a good 2 inches.
Tibial LON for 6cm- Nov 2013, Dr Sringari -177/178cm to 183/184cm
Prospective Femoral Lengthening w/ Precise 3 (if out) Nail for 7cm- Jan 2019, Dr Birkholtz -183/184cm to 190/191cm

And it was here that he professed to his disciples: all of life's bounties lay somewhere upon the dreaded bell curve

YellowSpike

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2015, 07:04:28 PM »

I agree with you. Life is a bitch. Being 6ft is sweet, but having all the effects of LL as well pretty much offsets the height. When I see 5'9/5'10 guys now, it's 50/50 as to whether I perceive them as short or now. A lot is dependent on build. Sometimes I'll see a guy walking toward me and think he must be at least my height, and he'll end up being shorter by a good 2 inches.

I mean, the difference is that you didn't really need this the way that I did. For you, LL was a luxury. I think if you're already 5'9/5'10 (which you were), you really don't need it. Although, I can still understand why you did it. I guess we all just want more than what we have. Human nature. But I highly doubt you were getting called short or that people even though of you as short.

What side effects are you dealing with? I actually feel fine...the only issue for me is tightness/slight hip swaying. Stretching and walking helps it, but it's very annoying.

For me, the only issue is time. I don't mind the pain or the money. Just can't f*ck up my career. I would be very happy with 5'9" and up. Ideally I'd like 5'10", but at 5'9" you can mostly claim 5'10" and no one will bat an eye.

Alittletooshort

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2015, 09:23:38 PM »

Is it just me or does anyone else have the feeling that people who did their femurs with an internal device end up much better than the ones who used a different method.

KrP1

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2015, 11:33:14 PM »

Is it just me or does anyone else have the feeling that people who did their femurs with an internal device end up much better than the ones who used a different method.

Yeah . For what i have seen in patient diaries there  is much more chance to recover a good level of athletic habilities with internal femurs than with tibias . Dr Don hong lee assistant confirmed this to me too.

programdude

« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2015, 11:39:40 PM »

Seeing as I am mostly recovered other than running, did the max amount, and am by far the worst person I know as far as recovery goes... Yea it seems so.

YellowSpike

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2015, 02:01:52 AM »

To build off of what PD said, I don't mean to say that full recovery isn't possible. I think it's possible, or at least possible to get very close back to it. But it will take a very long time, and you probably won't see it until after the rods come out. I did 7cm+ give or take, and aside from quad and hip flexor tightness, I'm doing pretty well. I will probably keep seeing improvements, as the soft tissue is what makes recovery take long.

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2015, 02:16:29 AM »

Yeah, you've gotta wait until the internals come out.  I didn't even get close to where I am now before they were removed.

programdude

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2015, 06:22:11 AM »

Thats one of the things Im pretty unhappy about with not being made clear.

I was told I should be walking and such 6-7 months and would be 100% about a year out. No emphasis on how essential removal would be.

Penguinn

« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2015, 06:36:29 AM »

How soon can you get the rods removed? Generally a year later seems to be the norm. Is it better to keep them on after you can walk?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up