Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can muscles prevent lengthening completely?  (Read 1214 times)

Penguinn

Can muscles prevent lengthening completely?
« on: August 09, 2015, 01:40:52 PM »

I'm planning on doing Precice internal nails/rods next year. Can my muscles prevent lengthening with the doctor being unable to do anything about it? That sounds terrifying.

maximize

Re: Can muscles prevent lengthening completely?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 02:19:40 PM »

Not really. That's impossible. The rods and pins are much stronger than your muscles.

The issue is if you have terrible ligament/tendon laxity to begin with (awful flexibility), you will run into resistance much faster.

What you do with that resistance if you encounter it is up to you and your surgeon.

Options

1) Slow down and/or stop
2) Take more pain killers, do more aggressive physio, and blast through it.

Problem with #2 is you could be scarring your muscles/tendons/ligaments and thus leading to that consequence where you never feel athletically "100%" after.

Impossible to predict. Just work on your preop flexibility. How close can you come to a front/back split? Can you touch your head to your knees with your legs straight?

Penguinn

Re: Can muscles prevent lengthening completely?
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 02:54:44 PM »

Not really. That's impossible. The rods and pins are much stronger than your muscles.

The issue is if you have terrible ligament/tendon laxity to begin with (awful flexibility), you will run into resistance much faster.

What you do with that resistance if you encounter it is up to you and your surgeon.

Options

1) Slow down and/or stop
2) Take more pain killers, do more aggressive physio, and blast through it.

Problem with #2 is you could be scarring your muscles/tendons/ligaments and thus leading to that consequence where you never feel athletically "100%" after.

Impossible to predict. Just work on your preop flexibility. How close can you come to a front/back split? Can you touch your head to your knees with your legs straight?

My flexibility is poor/average right now. Thanks, I'll definitely work on it now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up