Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What causes x-legs after LL?  (Read 2522 times)

theuprising

What causes x-legs after LL?
« on: July 31, 2015, 08:51:40 AM »

I have noticed certain patients developed x-legs after tibial LL even if they had bow legs to start with what would cause this to occur? It happened to a few Sarin patients so my initial thoughts were something to do with placement of internal nail. Thoughts and opinions?

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
Re: What causes x-legs after LL?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 02:20:39 PM »

It's not because of the internal nail.  External-only patients can get it too.  I don't have x-legs now, but during the lengthening phase I developed the condition a little bit.  I was told to turn the knobs unevenly so the outer rods lengthened more than the inner rods in order to fix it.

Not sure what actually "causes" it though.  It's just the bone getting lengthened at a slight angle.

Sweden

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 09:40:12 PM »

It has nothing to do with the bone at all.

I've been to Dr Betz PT right now where we spoke a lot about my x-legs and it is purely from muscle atrophy when not standing up or moving around.

It is very difficult to get those muscles back in a proper way. You need to work on them right.

Everyone who did LL has some sort of problems but they just don't know about it bc it doesn't affect them in their day to day life.
The ones who say they are 100% recovered, just forget about it. They're not. They just think so bc they can do all they need to do in their life, probably just go to work and back home.

If you would test these guys on a balance board or range of motion in their legs they would fail catastrophically.

You can't heal from this kind of trauma.
You will get permanently slower, more stiff and never get your explosiveness back.

Most of the times people don't need these things either - but that doesn't mean they are 100% recovered, or even 80% for that matter.
173cm before LL with Sarin, jan -13. Now 180cm tall. Considering 5cm on femurs.

Deepak Chopra

• Newbi
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 09:51:34 PM »

Varus in tibia leg lengthening is caused by insertion of nail at improper angle. Only someone who goes to inexperienced doctor would have that problem with LON.
I've got to do what I've got to do.

Sweden

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 09:58:54 PM »

Varus in tibia leg lengthening is caused by insertion of nail at improper angle. Only someone who goes to inexperienced doctor would have that problem with LON.

Don't make stuff up, it's just not true. You don't know the procedure of the surgery.

It is bc of muscle atrophy!! Nothing else!

It can be corrected, but it's very difficult.

You can't have surgery to correct it, bc your bones are as straight as they should. Even a little bit more straight than before.

Deepak Chopra

• Newbi
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 10:01:26 PM »

Don't make stuff up, it's just not true. You don't know the procedure of the surgery.

It is bc of muscle atrophy!! Nothing else!

It can be corrected, but it's very difficult.

You can't have surgery to correct it, bc your bones are as straight as they should. Even a little bit more straight than before.

If it was only muscle atrophy then everybody would have x legs after it but that's not the case. One making stuff up is whoever is telling you the lie that x legs happens because of muscle atrophy.
I've got to do what I've got to do.

Penguinn

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 10:38:00 PM »

Ooh, banter.

Sweden

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2015, 10:50:16 AM »

The bone doesn't twist during lengthening.

Not everyone gets it bc not everyone lies in the bed for 3 months only.

It is because of muscle atrophy.

In some rare cases, with a lousy doctor, it could be from the surgery but then it looks totally different. The thighs doesn't twist inwards even if the tibias does.

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2015, 01:43:15 PM »

Sweden, who told you it's caused by muscle atrophy?

Sweden

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2015, 03:16:57 PM »

Sweden, who told you it's caused by muscle atrophy?

Every doctor and physio therapist I've ever met.

maximize

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2015, 04:14:23 PM »

Presumably a bit of it could be caused by muscle atrophy. But that only applies in the condition where bone structure is normal by xray. Most cases of xlegs show blatant abnormalities on xray that make it clear the problem is improper bone lengthening. If a nail is inserted on a wrong angle or the nail shifts that can cause it. If a frame is not adjusted properly to maintain the axis that can also cause it.

It should be 100% avoidable from a bone structure perspective. It is also correctable in all circumstances if it develops and the surgeon is competent.
Pages: [1]   Go Up