Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Long term health issues when bone segments exceed nature?  (Read 6564 times)

theuprising

Long term health issues when bone segments exceed nature?
« on: July 09, 2015, 06:30:14 AM »

I'm sure most people on here know that the range of femur to tibia ratio extends from 52:48 (long tibia) to 56:44 (long femur). What happens to the body when we go outside these ratios. For example a tibia that is now longer than the femur. Or in the other extreme a femur bone that I now a ratio of 60:40.
Are there any complications that would occur from a health or walking gait perspective? I was thinking there must be a reason that femur is naturally our longest bone.

Uppland

Re: Long term health issues when bone segments exceed nature?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 12:17:57 PM »

I don't know wexactly what happens, but two things are for sure. Your biomechanics will be screwed i.e you will not walk or run very good regardless of how well your mucles recover. Also all respected surgeons are very careful not to exceed the natural ratio so that should tell you something.

Alittletooshort

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 01:08:19 PM »

My orthopaedic explained to me that there is no way of getting back to 100% due to changed bio mechanics. He said he´d perform the surgery on me but only If I stick to 2cm´s.
Workoing out a lot can compensate the changes that were being made to the body up to a certain point though.

NewHeights

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 02:34:39 PM »

My orthopaedic explained to me that there is no way of getting back to 100% due to changed bio mechanics. He said he´d perform the surgery on me but only If I stick to 2cm´s.
Workoing out a lot can compensate the changes that were being made to the body up to a certain point though.

So 2CM won't affect biomechanics?
177CM/176CM morning/evening :( Wingspan 178 CM :( Inseam/Height 47.7% :( BPEL 7.5" :)
Option 1: Inversion and Glucosamine to 177+CM :)
Option 2: CLL to 180 CM :)
"Be the best version of yourself"

Moubgf

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 04:17:06 PM »

Tell that to 6'4 people with 70% leg length compared to torso height

Taller

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 04:27:34 PM »

Tell that to 6'4 people with 70% leg length compared to torso height

The only such people are those who suffer from Marfan Syndrome.

Alittletooshort

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 05:13:58 PM »

Idk but he said the more you do the worse it gets so 2cm´s aren´t a big deal.
Slimtim, no one in the world has 70% legs if he is healthy no matter what statue he has.

theuprising

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 05:27:14 PM »

I don't know wexactly what happens, but two things are for sure. Your biomechanics will be screwed i.e you will not walk or run very good regardless of how well your mucles recover. Also all respected surgeons are very careful not to exceed the natural ratio so that should tell you something.

Off the top of my head I can only think of Rozbruch, Conway, Birkholtz, Parihar and Dong hoon Lee. These are the ones who at least state they have limits. Were there who you were referring to?

Guichet has patients up to 10cm. Betz even higher and Paley is regularly 8cm and there is no way all these patients are staying within natural ratio. Hardly anyone gives the actual measurements of their tibias and femurs after lengthening. Using cleverly placed clothing and foot ware to balance out their bodies in pictures.

I am of the impression most of these doctors will lengthen what the patient wants to keep them happy. Regarding long term biomechanics I guess they figure if the patient didn't work it out it's not their problem as long as the actual lengthening was successful.

Moubgf

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 06:58:09 PM »

Idk but he said the more you do the worse it gets so 2cm´s aren´t a big deal.
Slimtim, no one in the world has 70% legs if he is healthy no matter what statue he has.

Yes they do, but they cover it up with wingspan. Have you ever sat down with a 6'3 dude? barely any difference. Maybe in with but in height of torso. nopp.
It's all illusion

Uppland

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2015, 07:06:17 PM »

Off the top of my head I can only think of Rozbruch, Conway, Birkholtz, Parihar and Dong hoon Lee. These are the ones who at least state they have limits. Were there who you were referring to?

Guichet has patients up to 10cm. Betz even higher and Paley is regularly 8cm and there is no way all these patients are staying within natural ratio. Hardly anyone gives the actual measurements of their tibias and femurs after lengthening. Using cleverly placed clothing and foot ware to balance out their bodies in pictures.

I am of the impression most of these doctors will lengthen what the patient wants to keep them happy. Regarding long term biomechanics I guess they figure if the patient didn't work it out it's not their problem as long as the actual lengthening was successful.

Huh that's unsettling, best to make it clear that you don't want to deviate too much then.

Del

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2015, 07:49:17 PM »

I'm sure most people on here know that the range of femur to tibia ratio extends from 52:48 (long tibia) to 56:44 (long femur). What happens to the body when we go outside these ratios. For example a tibia that is now longer than the femur. Or in the other extreme a femur bone that I now a ratio of 60:40.
Are there any complications that would occur from a health or walking gait perspective? I was thinking there must be a reason that femur is naturally our longest bone.

I seem to have a 38:35 ratio. That seems to be around 52:48.
38:29 pr 38:30 (56:44) would be "long femur" according to the original post.

I really hope my measurements are correct because a longer tibia compared to the femur will let me lengthen 8cms in the femur. And the new ratio would be 55:44. Both fit right into the proportions you mentioned! :)
Considering LL in 2016. Will have a detailed diary at the time.

Alittletooshort

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2015, 08:12:46 PM »

I agree that very tall people tend to have long legs, anyways 70% is far from reality. I´m sure that the leg to torso ration will only change by a couple percent on average, if it even changes at all. I have quit a lot of tall friends and family members and none of them is even close to the statue you describe.

Del

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2015, 08:18:24 PM »

70:30 leg:body ratio is impossible unless the person has some condition. I can't imagine it.
Considering LL in 2016. Will have a detailed diary at the time.

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2015, 09:49:04 PM »

I'm at 8 years since I started LL and I haven't had any long-term issues come up with my 1:1 ratio.

Alittletooshort

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2015, 10:41:30 PM »

Mdow, didn´t you tell us that your endurance is pretty bad due to the lengthening. I think it was you who said that you can only run distance of a couple of blocks until you have to take a break.
Correct me if I´m wrong but isn´t this a long term effect of the lengthening?

Uppland

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2015, 11:00:59 PM »

Mdow, didn´t you tell us that your endurance is pretty bad due to the lengthening. I think it was you who said that you can only run distance of a couple of blocks until you have to take a break.
Correct me if I´m wrong but isn´t this a long term effect of the lengthening?

But that's a muscle issue though.

Alittletooshort

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2015, 11:08:51 PM »

It´s still something that came due to the lengthening, and if he still suffers from this after 8 years it clearly is a long term effect which shoudln´t be underestimated. The fatigue may come from the muscles having to work harded because they are longer now. Like people with long arms have a harder time bench pressing the same wheight, which has to do something with power transmission and this leads us again back to the biomechanics.

Moubgf

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2015, 11:40:19 PM »

As i said it's ALL illusion. Just long wingspan to cover up their short torso with 70% longer legs boosting them up to tall height.

Majority of the length is in the legs. They are not "big" guys, they are shorties with long legs.

Legit big is 6'4 and up.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 06:16:11 AM by Admin »

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2015, 12:01:03 AM »

I assumed he meant something that'd come up after several years, like arthritis.  I don't have any issues like that.

But yeah, I do think that stretching out my tibiae caused me to have to put more demand on the tibialis anterior muscles when I run.  As a result, those leg muscles get tired more easily.

One theory of mine is that I've maxed out the tibialis anterior muscles.  Some returning patients in Beijing had really big elephant / tree trunk legs when they came back for their internal nail removal, and I never got that.  My legs did get wider and more muscular, but nothing compared to those people.  Since I'm an ectomorph, it might just be that my body type won't allow those muscles to get any bigger, hence the compartment syndrome that required a fasciotomy and the lingering endurance problems.
Pages: [1]   Go Up