Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How big is this risk?  (Read 2057 times)

Del

How big is this risk?
« on: July 06, 2015, 04:30:23 PM »

For the Precise Nail.

"The worst case scenario is that if there were an uncontrolled infection, damage to the arteries and nerves or interruption of the blood supply to the muscles, there is a risk that this could lead to amputation of the limb being necessary."

Didn't even add "this is a very rare possibility.." or anything.  :-\

Source: https://www.rnoh.nhs.uk/sites/default/files/patient/13-193_rnoh_a5_pg_precice_nail_web_release.pdf (Page 14)
Considering LL in 2016. Will have a detailed diary at the time.

supergirl

Re: How big is this risk?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 04:58:07 PM »

my local orthopedic said to remove frames asap because there was one patient who did deformity correction.. ended up with osteomyelitis. needed more and more surgery and with each surgery more bone was removed, until eventually had to amputate. so i am very worried with my frames now. not sure about internals..
Banned - clone account of ItsMyLife

Uppland

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 05:11:18 PM »

In general i believe Internal nails have a much lower rate of infection -as in very low-, however when infection occurs it is a much more serious complication that with externals.

Dr Guichet have never amputated a limb despitehaving done more than 300 operations, I think other respected surgeons have a similar track record.

So to answer your question, the chance is low -very low.

Yet there is always risks and you should be aware, general anesthesia might kill for example.

Del

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 05:15:39 PM »

my local orthopedic said to remove frames asap because there was one patient who did deformity correction.. ended up with osteomyelitis. needed more and more surgery and with each surgery more bone was removed, until eventually had to amputate. so i am very worried with my frames now. not sure about internals..

Local orthopedic? You should be consulting the doctor that did the LL. From what posts from you I've seen till now, your doctor appears very shady..

In general i believe Internal nails have a much lower rate of infection -as in very low-, however when infection occurs it is a much more serious complication that with externals.

Dr Guichet have never amputated a limb despitehaving done more than 300 operations, I think other respected surgeons have a similar track record.

So to answer your question, the chance is low -very low.

Yet there is always risks and you should be aware, general anesthesia might kill for example.

It was just.. how casually that post spoke of limb amputation. Generally "very rare cases" or percentages of it happening are given.

If anyone knows the answer to this, help me out:
Would a doctor know a bone infection from regular checks/X-Ray? That crap worries the hell out of me.

Uppland

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 05:22:43 PM »

Local orthopedic? You should be consulting the doctor that did the LL. From what posts from you I've seen till now, your doctor appears very shady..

It was just.. how casually that post spoke of limb amputation. Generally "very rare cases" or percentages of it happening are given.

If anyone knows the answer to this, help me out:
Would a doctor know a bone infection from regular checks/X-Ray? That crap worries the hell out of me.

No, I don't think they would and this is part of makes an internal infection so serious, because it is hard to spot there might be serious effects before treatment is applied.

I believe you are from India?

Lower infection risk is one of the major advantages of going with a more expensive surgeon from say western Europe or N. America, they apply very rigid sterilization policies. In fact a large part of their cost is paying for the surgical equipment as it isn't reused.

I will again stress that the chance of infection when doing internal lengthening is very low, you're more likely to be run over when walking outside.

Del

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 05:28:52 PM »

I will again stress that the chance of infection when doing internal lengthening is very low, you're more likely to be run over when walking outside.

So it's literally something like 0.01%. If it were 5% or something I'd be  ting brix.

Uppland

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 06:13:17 PM »

So it's literally something like 0.01%. If it were 5% or something I'd be crapting brix.

Yes it might even be less than that, and even if you get an infection chances are your surgeon can deal with it. Provided you've got a good one.

Del

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 06:21:08 PM »

Yes it might even be less than that, and even if you get an infection chances are your surgeon can deal with it. Provided you've got a good one.

Dr. Parihar is known for being a great surgeon. Unfortunately, he might not have done Precice on anyone so far.. but I wonder how much it matters if he has 20 years of experience with Ilizarov and knows LON etc too. Not too keen on being a guinea pig but I'll trust him if he says he can do Precise.
Pages: [1]   Go Up