Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: I don't know how to share LL with my son  (Read 7452 times)

Shortgenes

• Visitor
I don't know how to share LL with my son
« on: July 02, 2015, 06:05:27 PM »

I'm really conflicted about exposing my 20 yr old son to LL. I feel like I'd be sending a message that you aren't good enough. Once I send that message, I could never take it back I know. I see how being short affects his confidence. I feel it every time an uncle cracks a joke, etc. Money is not an issue- Paley would be my choice, but I don't know if I'll ever get the courage to say "Let's do this! I'll be with you every step of the way!" I want him to be and have everything in life, but as you have all said- this is serious! I'm probably completely out of line being obsessed with a topic that doesn't concern me, but would want for my son.

Wintersleep

• Visitor
Re: I don't know how to share LL with my son
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 06:23:00 PM »

Personally I don't think you should suggest this surgery to your son. If his height bothers him enough he will discover it for himself. But I do admire how much you want your son to have everything in life. If I were you I wouldn't explicitly mention LL but if your son ever complains about being short to you maybe just say 'isn't there some surgery to make you taller or something?' and If you can let him know you would be O.K with him getting LL without mentioning it - I know it's hard.

It's so ironic I have the exact opposite problem. I will be getting LL in 2016 when I'm 19/20 and my biggest concern is not the money/pain/time/risk or anything like that the only thing that bothers me is my parents reaction - I know they will be completely against this and I couldn't keep it a secret from them. When I used to complain about my height they would always get angry and completely dismiss me saying 'don't be stupid, height doesn't matter at all'. They will literally go insane when they discover that I have spent all my savings to have my legs broken in India. I don't know how it will affect our relationship.

So your son is very lucky to have a father who is, not only is O.K with him getting LL, but actually approves of it and is willing to pay for him to go to the best doctor in the world!

Do you mind me asking how tall your son is?

Sean Connery

• Newbi
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 06:30:25 PM »

OP,

I understand where you are coming from. I wouldn't say anything to him though. Your son might get the idea that you find him inferior because of his stature and there's pretty much nothing worse for a kid than thinking your own parents find something wrong with you that as far as you're aware can't be changed. I'd wait until he brings it up to you directly, like if you catch him trying to stretch himself or if he makes comments about wanting to be taller. But add the "you don't need to be taller, you're fine how you are" support anyway.

They will literally go insane when they discover that I have spent all my savings to have my legs broken in India

Which doctor are you going to go to? You're not scared about India?
I'm not drunk! I'm Scottish!

Shortgenes

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 06:45:59 PM »

Winter..., Thx for your response. First, I am a mom, not a dad. (I feel horrible admitting that btw). My son has always hated his height and I always told him he would grow more. I remember asking the dr at age 14 if there was any way he was finished- he said nah... But he was. It's funny bc I always had a gut feeling both my boys would be short. I'm short at 5-2, but there dad is 6 feet! One son says he's 5-7 but he's not he's probable right under 5/6. The other is probably an inch taller at 5-6.5 but he just looks taller- longer limbs- especially arms and femurs. Crazy how so little can make such a difference. So, to your question, he's probably a little over 5-5. I never stay with him when he's measured at the dr bc I would never want to be responsible for him not being able to say he's 5-7. As for your parents, I've done the same thing- always said your height is fine, don't be silly, pointed out the positive, etc. But inside, I just ache when I hear him say things about his height. Maybe your parents do too. To make matters worse, I have a twin who is 4-11. Her son is 5-9. That was hard.

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 06:56:01 PM »

As others have said, don't suggest the idea to him. He won't look at you the same if he thinks you're ashamed of him.

My mom cried in front of the other parents at the endocrinologist office when they told her I was done growing at 5'5". I also saw messages she wrote my half brother where she was admiring how tall he was at 6'2 and said "Kilokahn is only 5'5! Too bad he inherited my short genes!"

Never looked at her with the same affection after that, even though it happened 10 years ago.
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

Shortgenes

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 07:14:17 PM »

Oh God how the comments about your mom hurt my heart. He jokes saying "Thanks for giving me your short genes" I respond with "I'm sorry, but I gave you some good things too." We are all very close and I don't think being short has ever been discussed as a "your less than others" situation, but we all know they would like to be taller and they know they are short. I'm a mom and I see and feel the impact it has on him. However, I will respect what you all say as men and as LLers. I truly didn't even know this was possible until I stumbled on this forum. Now, I've had to lie to my husband and tell him I'm reading an online book. I've been glued to all of your stories- some literally break me down and make me want to travel to India (Disobedient). Others, make me want to run a victory lap with the person. My admiration to you all.

maximize

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 08:28:17 AM »

To add a different perspective, I do think you should offer it to your son. But keep in mind a couple things. Most of the important points to be careful about have been raised. I'd like to add another.

Many of us short men are to varying degrees resentful and unhappy specifically due to the way women have treated us over our height. What we've found out the hard way is that women have an all most sick (in my opinion) obsession with male height, to the point where in scientific studies a 5'8 guy has to make over 150k/yr more (inflation adjusted) than a 6' guy, and women must be aware of this extra income, in order for the two men to be considered even remotely equal.

Frankly, if it wasn't for women and their almost universal height obsessions I wouldn't even be considering leg lengthening. I'm just tired of being ignored, overlooked, and treated like I don't exist while my taller and better looking friends get constant positive attention. And I already make that much more money than the average man. It's hard to use it as an equalizer in real life since you can't just walk around loudly bragging about your job/bank/car/etc. So in reality you learn nothing compensates.

What's my point? Just be aware height is an issue of gender politics that short men are on the losing end of. We are considered lesser by your gender for something we have no control over (besides these brutal surgeries).

If you talk to him about it you'd have to be clear it's not because you see him as a lesser man due to his height (whether that's actually true or not) and suggest that you only looked it up because you had heard him complain about it so often and you just want him to be happy. I would also suggest you do it in person.

Good luck if you give it a shot.

I'm probably completely out of line being obsessed with a topic that doesn't concern me

If you ask me, you're not any more out of line than any other woman. This is your gender's shared obsession. It's funny because people talk about "height neurosis" among men who want to get leg lengthening. However, the real height neurosis is primarily manifested among women, since rigid height fixations have a 98.3% prevalence in the female gender.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 10:11:36 AM by maximize »

Wintersleep

• Visitor
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 07:29:39 PM »

Which doctor are you going to go to? You're not scared about India?

No I'm not scared at all. I'm only going for 4/5cm with LON. I'm considering Dr Mangal Parihar, Dr. Suhas Shah and even Dr Sringari. I plan on meeting with all of them and I really think I will be OK due to only aiming for 5cm.

patientdad

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2015, 08:01:58 PM »

My son just had this surgery a week ago.  He was very unhappy, and I told him about the surgery.  He wanted to do it and thinks it is the best thing ever.  I would talk to your son about it.

NewHeights

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2015, 09:02:10 PM »

To add a different perspective, I do think you should offer it to your son. But keep in mind a couple things. Most of the important points to be careful about have been raised. I'd like to add another.

Many of us short men are to varying degrees resentful and unhappy specifically due to the way women have treated us over our height. What we've found out the hard way is that women have an all most sick (in my opinion) obsession with male height, to the point where in scientific studies a 5'8 guy has to make over 150k/yr more (inflation adjusted) than a 6' guy, and women must be aware of this extra income, in order for the two men to be considered even remotely equal.

Frankly, if it wasn't for women and their almost universal height obsessions I wouldn't even be considering leg lengthening. I'm just tired of being ignored, overlooked, and treated like I don't exist while my taller and better looking friends get constant positive attention. And I already make that much more money than the average man. It's hard to use it as an equalizer in real life since you can't just walk around loudly bragging about your job/bank/car/etc. So in reality you learn nothing compensates.

What's my point? Just be aware height is an issue of gender politics that short men are on the losing end of. We are considered lesser by your gender for something we have no control over (besides these brutal surgeries).

If you talk to him about it you'd have to be clear it's not because you see him as a lesser man due to his height (whether that's actually true or not) and suggest that you only looked it up because you had heard him complain about it so often and you just want him to be happy. I would also suggest you do it in person.

Good luck if you give it a shot.

If you ask me, you're not any more out of line than any other woman. This is your gender's shared obsession. It's funny because people talk about "height neurosis" among men who want to get leg lengthening. However, the real height neurosis is primarily manifested among women, since rigid height fixations have a 98.3% prevalence in the female gender.

Hello.sir.

I am responding to you because I used to think the same way you did about women. If you put it in plain black and white language, and asked women, "5' 8" or 6'?", nearly every woman would say "6' ". The problem is that these studies and polls isolate factors that are over magnified in importance by not considering other factors.

A 5' 8" guy with hobbies, confidence, good health and fitness, and who shows kindness towards women and other men will beat nearly all 6 footers who lack those qualities. Also, sit back and ask yourself, would you want the type of woman who would only date a 6 footer?

Once again, if you asked "5' 8" or 6' ", 6' wins, but that's not real life, that's not reality in dating and attraction, that's a binary comparison without considering other factors.

177CM/176CM morning/evening :( Wingspan 178 CM :( Inseam/Height 47.7% :( BPEL 7.5" :)
Option 1: Inversion and Glucosamine to 177+CM :)
Option 2: CLL to 180 CM :)
"Be the best version of yourself"

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2015, 09:15:59 PM »

Have your son watch Gattaca.  Maybe that'll put the idea in his head.

BelowTheMean

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2015, 01:48:11 AM »

If you do plan on exposing it to him, sooner is probably better than later. If he's under 25, people may think it's just be a late growth spurt.
Stryde Femurs - Debiparshad - Nov 2020
Nail Removal - Downey - Apr 2022
Journal (169cm -> 177cm) http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65617

Current Status: Recovered, moving on

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)

• Visitor
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2015, 01:54:26 AM »

You should tell him in a tough love sort of way the next time he complains about height, like "You know I think you're perfect and think it's stupid that you can think there's anything wrong with you. If you're that crazy about it then you may as well act like a crazy person and get leg lengthening surgery." That will put the idea in his head that you're against it and don't find anything wrong with him and then he'll research it.

Of course there's the possibility he'll stumble across this forum in his research and find the topic you made about it. lol

Shortgenes

• Visitor
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2015, 02:17:43 AM »

Thanks Maximize! Great points and advice!

Shortgenes

• Visitor
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2015, 02:21:23 AM »

Patientdad, Your son just did the syrgery? Wow! How is he doing? Your suggestion?

Shortgenes

• Visitor
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2015, 02:22:31 AM »

I will! Thank you so much!!!

Shortgenes

• Visitor
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2015, 02:25:48 AM »

Maximize- You are right about it being our obsession (women). We are the ones who created this, it's not you men. It's very sad, I see that now that my sons are short. I wish it were different.

Shortgenes

• Visitor
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2015, 02:29:50 AM »

Maximize- Also this kind of works both ways/ Women starve themselves, tan, get boob jobs, anything to look younger (lifts, peels, etc) because of what most men "want" and because those are the women who get they guy's attention. However, nothing compares to LL ... Not even close.

NewHeights

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2015, 03:01:50 AM »

Maximize- You are right about it being our obsession (women). We are the ones who created this, it's not you men. It's very sad, I see that now that my sons are short. I wish it were different.

You do not represent women just because you are a woman, nor do you represent mothers because you are a mother. It is really a shame that you are fixating on the flaws of your son and not on his positive qualities.
177CM/176CM morning/evening :( Wingspan 178 CM :( Inseam/Height 47.7% :( BPEL 7.5" :)

maximize

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2015, 03:45:18 AM »

Also this kind of works both ways/ Women starve themselves, tan, get boob jobs, anything to look younger (lifts, peels, etc) because of what most men "want" and because those are the women who get they guy's attention. However, nothing compares to LL ... Not even close.

I'm glad you at least have developed some insight now at your middle years to realize this. Sorry, but your situation is a bit funny to me.

Short women (eg. 5'2") who feel compelled to marry a tall man (eg. 6') are from what I've seen typically among the most height neurosed people on the planet. The fact that you say you "always had a gut feeling both [your] boys would be short", you are "obsessed" with the issue, and it "was hard" that your sister's son grew taller tells me pretty well what type of girl you were and are.

I wonder if a woman like you now thinks back to when you were 17-25 and going to the bar or at school. I wonder if you harshly blew off shorter guys without even giving them a second thought, all the while fawning over and gossiping about the taller guys. It must be kind of messed up to realize that it was short guys like your son you were mistreating, and that now a new generation of girls is paying that forward onto him.

I don't know you, Shortgenes, so perhaps I'm wrong. But from the way you talk about this issue, I am willing to bet I'm not far off the mark.

You do not represent women just because you are a woman, nor do you represent mothers because you are a mother. It is really a shame that you are fixating on the flaws of your son and not on his positive qualities.

To see which gender is the primary origin of height neurosis, I think we only have to compare heterosexual and gay couples. In heterosexual relationships, 98.3% of women outwardly REFUSE to date any man shorter than them. On the other hand, only half of gay men want a guy who is taller than them. The other half either want a guy who is the same height or shorter than them.

In other words, women are almost universally prejudiced against shorter men, while gay men are quite balanced on the issue. I bet if you studied the sexual orientation of men getting limb lengthening you would find we are almost universally heterosexual, and the prevalence of leg lengthening among gay men is almost nil.

Sexual selection is a powerful motivating force. If girls woke up tomorrow and as a gender started preferring short guys instead of tall ones, I am willing to bet this forum would empty out by about 85% or more.

Women are almost universally the creators of this issue. Yes, men judge each other based on height as well. But most of us hetero men care a lot more about how a girl we like is judging us vs. how the guy we chatted with at the office sees us.

You are correct in your other post that it is usually not a binary system that women apply to sexual selection. There are a lot of factors to consider. But for almost all women height is the first filter they apply (tall enough or not, typically followed by racial filtering, and then facial attractiveness and other attributes).

Many women won't search on online dating for any man less than for example 5'9-5'10. For some women it is 6' or nothing (despite the fact that only 15% of men are this tall), and they'll take tall, sleezy dirtbags over short, decent men every time. Shorter men are generally not even allowed to donate sperm, even if they are astronauts or Nobel prize winners, because women find the idea of propagating short genetics repugnant.

It is inarguable women are as a gender obsessed with height. I think it is also fairly inarguable that this is the core origin of the anxiety that the majority of us shorter men face over the issue.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 05:08:56 AM by maximize »

Arche

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2015, 04:43:33 AM »

I don't usually post too often anymore, but Maximize, your post above was an enlightening and crucial response to the original poster.

To the OP - Tell your son about the surgery. I'm 23 and planning to get this surgery immediately once I have sufficient funds, but I could never tell my parents, who have had far more difficult problems in life than their self-image. For a parent to be this concerned about her sons height (and mentions Paley) makes me feels you come from an affluent background. There is nothing wrong with that, and I hope to become wealthy myself one day, or at least financially stable, as do many others, but just realize this surgery is extremely dramatic for what can be a subtle change. Many people in this world, not to preach, but to remind, are having difficulties finding food, water, shelter among other necessary things. So for someone to do this surgery would mean that other elements of their life must be sound first, including the psychological, which, perhaps just from this forum and other LL patients I hope you have spoken to, you will find is the most difficult part. Being discriminated against for something you cannot control is one of the hardest things to deal with.

The reason I mentioned this is so that you can make sure your son is sound mentally, before you try to "fix" the body. Also, I should point out, that even with two conservative surgeries, your sons will never be as tall as their father. Good luck!

concernedmom

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2015, 09:22:42 AM »

I am a mother and suffer everyday. It just could not be as painful as it is for me. I don't think people understand. My son's puberty started early and I did not know. The doctor wanted to wait, by the time we waited all the growth plates in the lims closed. It just happened in 3 months. I am so sad every day, it hurts. He is 5.3. We tried GH and slowing down puberty, too late. I have researching this forum for a while, I am fixed on this. I am not sure how to do this to my son. It is painful, no one wants to put their kids through this. But I also think if everything goes well, he can recover, get some confidence. E very inch counts.

maximize

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2015, 09:50:22 AM »

I am a mother and suffer everyday. It just could not be as painful as it is for me. I don't think people understand. Every inch counts.

If he does what Apotheosis did (maximally lengthen femurs, tibias, and humeri), he could get to 5'11" quite easily. But it's not generally recommended to do what Apotheosis did. That guy got lucky if you ask me.

How strong is your son mentally? How old? Do you think he could handle being crippled and in pain for 4-6 months?

Also, not to belabor the point, but I'm genuinely curious: as a woman who for the first time has a front row view of what life is like for a short man, has your experience caused you to re-evaluate to any extent how your gender approaches male height?

Descreteuser

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2015, 10:01:48 AM »

its not just women.. men who are taller often feel much more superior then those they are taller than, and make it obvious by their actions and words.. i was above average height before this surgery so my height was no problem with women, but i have a tall brother and tall colleagues, who would constantly belittle me in front of people and caused me to grow this enormous mental illness which was dragging me down into a depression.. it affected me socially, it affected me at work, i was even offered a promotion but because i wasnt confident with myself anymore, my work rate decreased rapidly,my focus was gone, and eventually that offer didnt exist.. i was in a profession where physical presence mattered.. even tho i was respected at work and was generally a leader, i didnt feel this way becuase of my insecurity.. im only half way through but already feel happier than i have in a long time.. my bubbly personality is back and for the first time in a very long time i can say my depression is gone.. i belive if you feel your son is struggling atleast mention LL to him.. it could change his life
starting height 181cm (afternoon height)
final height     185.1cm  (afternoon height)   

wingspan 180

maximize

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2015, 10:17:47 AM »

its not just women.. men who are taller often feel much more superior then those they are taller than, and make it obvious by their actions and words.. i was above average height before this surgery so my height was no problem with women, but i have a tall brother and tall colleagues, who would constantly belittle me in front of people and caused me to grow this enormous mental illness which was dragging me down into a depression.. it affected me socially, it affected me at work, i was even offered a promotion but because i wasnt confident with myself anymore, my work rate decreased rapidly,my focus was gone, and eventually that offer didnt exist.. i was in a profession where physical presence mattered.. even tho i was respected at work and was generally a leader, i didnt feel this way becuase of my insecurity.. im only half way through but already feel happier than i have in a long time.. my bubbly personality is back and for the first time in a very long time i can say my depression is gone.. i belive if you feel your son is struggling atleast mention LL to him.. it could change his life

I wonder why it is different short people get such different experiences from being around tall men. I'm 5'7.5". Most of the guys in my field are 5'11"+. The last place I was working with, I was the shortest of my peers and they were all above 6'. Yet I have never really at any point felt "bullied" about my height from other guys or a lack of respect.

I'm not sure why that is. My guess is it's because I'm an extroverted and socially dominant loudmouth, I generally know what I'm doing, and I'm pretty quick to knock someone down a peg or two if they try to give me a hard time. Maybe it's also because I have never really been forced to hang out or work with  s. Your brother and coworkers sound terrible.

Descreteuser

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2015, 11:12:37 AM »

I wonder why it is different short people get such different experiences from being around tall men. I'm 5'7.5". Most of the guys in my field are 5'11"+. The last place I was working with, I was the shortest of my peers and they were all above 6'. Yet I have never really at any point felt "bullied" about my height from other guys or a lack of respect.

I'm not sure why that is. My guess is it's because I'm an extroverted and socially dominant loudmouth, I generally know what I'm doing, and I'm pretty quick to knock someone down a peg or two if they try to give me a hard time. Maybe it's also because I have never really been forced to hang out or work with aholes. Your brother and coworkers sound terrible.

I know in my brothers case that the only thing he has on me physically is his height.. you could say hes the fatter out of shape brother..  and cant hack it so uses his height as way of making him feel better.. if he mentions my height ill mention his pasty, fat body but it doesnt bother him but my height does, because i knew there was nothing i could do about it.. if he really wants he could always change his weight..everything i have physically ive trained for and worked hard for.. so my height just always frustrated me.. and yeah you could say my colleagues are a**holes.. and its normally the guys that are only slightly taller than me and dont get any pussy.. the thing is ive always had a strong personality and argue people if they talk   about me.. very rarely did people wanna argue with me.. but as soon as someone mentioned my height it would hit a soft spot and i didnt want people to know i was sensitive about my height so id just keep quiet.. after being on this forum i dont understand why i copped it so much at my original height.. maybe im just surrounded by height oriented fckwits.. oh well ill have the last laugh i guess.. looking forward to asking some of them why they shrunk.. see how they like it.. karmas a btch
starting height 181cm (afternoon height)
final height     185.1cm  (afternoon height)   

wingspan 180

Shortgenes

• Visitor
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2015, 01:28:39 PM »

Maximize/ Correct , you don't know me. But I don't feel bad admitting that many of the stereotypes about height do exist- and even that I have contributed to it. I'm just being honest here and I don't know why anyone finds fault with that. I never said it was right. As for being obsessed with it, I am! Not because I don't think my kids are great but bc I know what others are thinking and how they feel and I know that some girls and others may not give them a chance bc they are short. I don't feel any shame in wanting my son to be better if he can be just bc I'm a mother. You work with the cards you are dealt, there is no pitty party being thrown here and if they both stay the height they are life will be fine and goes on!

And to the other post I don't pretend to "represent" women or mothers. I speak only from being both!!! I've spent my life focusing on the positive in both my kids. I'm no different than any other 43 year old mom who wants their kid to have everything! Does it piss me off that my sister's son got height? Yes! In a that really sucks kind of way!

Some of y'all can be judgemental all you want, all Ive done is admit my stereotypes, and be honest about it all. I've never tried to "represent", but just tell how I feel and what my experienced have been.

If you can't handle that then you have other issues other than just your height which makes you even more susceptible to blaming all your issues on height (and it's probably not). Seriously

Shortgenes

• Visitor
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2015, 01:39:00 PM »

Suzzannxyz- I really feel your pain. Some people on this forum will "hate" us either bc they don't have mothers who would do the same or are mad bc we are women openly admitting that height is a huge issue in society- I even admit that I'm part of the problem! However, for you, or I, to look for advice should not be viewed as less than genuine bc we are the mothers of short men. You are not wrong in looking at this and neither am I!! We are women and mothers and although  we can't "represent" the entire group, we do come with a keen awareness of how women View height...because we are women!!!!

Shortgenes

• Visitor
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2015, 01:55:11 PM »

And forgive me for one more thing- No, I don't plan on trying to change society's views by marching up and down the street holding signs that say "end height discrimination." So, whomever it was that said this is a payback bc of the stereotypes I displayed when young, you're a real winner. I did wish my kids wouldn't be short, even if I had girls, but genes are genes. It's not about payback!!! I also wished they wouldn't have red hair because I do and I always hated it!!! Big deal!!! I really don't know if this is the issue you really have or if your mad bc I have money and can offer this to my son (Paley). I really didn't need anyone to try and "figure me out" bc I basically put it all out there. Stop being mad bc what I said only reinforces the hurt that you feel and the stereotypes that still exist!

maximize

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2015, 02:56:47 PM »

For the record, I'm actually not trying to give either of you moms a hard time, at least not personally. I just have a couple of thoughts and feelings around this subject and I was curious what you would have to say.

One thing I find interesting about the height discrimination against men is, like you say, no one advocates for us. If you look at body image in women for example, you will see a thousand tv commercials and media campaigns about "being beautiful just as you are" or "loving yourself for who you are" etc. Even the most ardent social justice warriors who bristle at the thought of any other discrimination generally ignore the issue of how short men are disadvantaged.

For my own part, I agree - as twisted a prospect as it is, it is easier for me to chop my legs up and roll around in a wheelchair for 6 months than it is to change the fundamental nature of women. So that's the route I have chosen to take.

I just wonder what goes on in women's heads when they as a unified body reject shorter men en masse. There is simply no male equivalent to this behaviour so it is difficult to comprehend.

As far as mothers go, my mom is the opposite of both of you moms in this thread. She married a 5'5" guy despite being attractive enough much taller and better looking men have constantly hit on her whenever she's out in public her entire life. They've been together 40 years. So when she says she doesn't think being tall matters that much and tries to talk me out of lengthening (due to fears for my joint health), I can feel she's being completely sincere.

It's interesting to me to see the issue from the other end of the spectrum and watch the height queens heartbroken by the fact that their sons are being damned to a lesser life by the same prejudices they spent their lives propagating and reinforcing.

If you want to interpret that as me attacking you, you can see it that way I suppose. But I dont think I've been attacking either of you in any way and you've agreed that the gist of what I've said so far has been true.

NewHeights

« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2015, 03:11:09 PM »

For the record, I'm actually not trying to give either of you moms a hard time, at least not personally. I just have a couple of thoughts and feelings around this subject and I was curious what you would have to say.

One thing I find interesting about the height discrimination against men is, like you say, no one advocates for us. If you look at body image in women for example, you will see a thousand tv commercials and media campaigns about "being beautiful just as you are" or "loving yourself for who you are" etc. Even the most ardent social justice warriors who bristle at the thought of any other discrimination generally ignore the issue of how short men are disadvantaged.

For my own part, I agree - as twisted a prospect as it is, it is easier for me to chop my legs up and roll around in a wheelchair for 6 months than it is to change the fundamental nature of women. So that's the route I have chosen to take.

I just wonder what goes on in women's heads when they as a unified body reject shorter men en masse. There is simply no male equivalent to this behaviour so it is difficult to comprehend.

As far as mothers go, my mom is the opposite of both of you moms in this thread. She married a 5'5" guy despite being attractive enough much taller and better looking men have constantly hit on her whenever she's out in public her entire life. They've been together 40 years. So when she says she doesn't think being tall matters that much and tries to talk me out of lengthening (due to fears for my joint health), I can feel she's being completely sincere.

It's interesting to me to see the issue from the other end of the spectrum and watch the height queens heartbroken by the fact that their sons are being damned to a lesser life by the same prejudices they spent their lives propagating and reinforcing.

If you want to interpret that as me attacking you, you can see it that way I suppose. But I dont think I've been attacking either of you in any way and you've agreed that the gist of what I've said so far has been true.

I can tell you. Height is the most important filtering mechanism for male PHYSICAL attractiveness in the eyes of a woman. Line up 20 guys, and the 5' 11" to 6' 2" guys will stand out, while the short guys won't (it's called the "Halo Effect"). But actual dating selection doesn't work like this fortunately.

A short guy who has the courage to approach women will not get rejected because of their height as much as you think. Many women (at least the ones worth anything) judge men like a book. Height is the cover, but personality is the inside.

Also, a woman might date a tall arrogant confident jerk, have a bad experience, and change her perception of men.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up