Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: bone remodeling  (Read 4559 times)

Descreteuser

bone remodeling
« on: July 01, 2015, 11:34:00 PM »

my doctor has told me numerous times that if you have mis alignments on the mechanical axis that it is not a problem if its within a few degrees of what it was prior to surgery.. he says that the bone will remodel itself in time.. bone will disappear where its not needed and new bone will form where it is required.. does anyone know about this.. i just need to be sure this is true before i let my legs consolidate..
starting height 181cm (afternoon height)
final height     185.1cm  (afternoon height)   

wingspan 180

microman

Re: bone remodeling
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 11:42:54 PM »

I have no idea but dr. mitkovic was very well referenced on Make me taller forum, and he has had alot of cosmetic cases so I guess he must be right.

sorry for my lack of information, but yeah the misalignments issues is the only thing that makes me think twice about monorail with mitkovic, only other option would be solomin with external but they both have advantages and disadvantages.

Descreteuser

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 11:55:01 PM »

if i didnt look at my x rays i wouldnt be worry.. because my walking feels fine besides the slight knee bending in my right leg.. i just need advice from someone that knows about bone remodeling so i can stop stressing..

wingspan 180

microman

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 07:59:24 AM »

what exactly could you do to before your bones consolidate that might fix this? re-surgery of some kind?

Descreteuser

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 09:20:45 AM »

what exactly could you do to before your bones consolidate that might fix this? re-surgery of some kind?

you can still change things without surgery as the bone hasnt consildated enough.. but the thing is he already adjusted it and my leg feels really good as i can stand up straight and have full knee extension.. im walking on it and everything without problems.. but when i look at the x ray it is still mis aligned.. if he fiddles with it again it could cause more problems.. he looked at the x ray and told me it was nothing to be worried about and the bone will remodel over time and look like my bone did before.. but i need someone to back up this information cause i cant find it anywhere on the internet.. i just have my doubts and i need what he says to be confirmed..

wingspan 180

Overdozer

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 09:23:37 AM »

It won't magically remodel. If you let it heal with a misalignment, it will stay that way. Can you show us the x-ray?
Pre-surgery - 167 cm, Post-surgery - 181 cm
Final arm span - 177 cm, Sitting height - 90 cm

Lengthened 7.5 cm in tibias and femurs and 3.5 cm in each humerus. Surgeries performed all external by Dr. Kulesh, in Saint-Petersburg, Russia - http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=1671.0

microman

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 09:43:51 AM »

oh right well i guess the only option would be to fiddle with it again to re-straighten it, it would make sense that once it's healed it would stay the way you left it, but the doctor must be right he has no reason to mislead you, or maybe he is because he is worried if he fiddles with it again the bone will become worse!

i am a bit worried about misalignments which is why i am considering to go with external ilazarov to aviod such things, what would you say the chance of having misalingments is with monorail, maybe a 10% chance?

any clues what the arning signs would be.

Overdozer

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 09:57:12 AM »

i am a bit worried about misalignments which is why i am considering to go with external ilazarov to aviod such things, what would you say the chance of having misalingments is with monorail, maybe a 10% chance?

any clues what the arning signs would be.
Well you can check Bluebarbie's thread and x-rays. It's fine for her, because she's doing LATN. For a purely external method? You get a misalignment you cannot fix.
Pre-surgery - 167 cm, Post-surgery - 181 cm
Final arm span - 177 cm, Sitting height - 90 cm

Lengthened 7.5 cm in tibias and femurs and 3.5 cm in each humerus. Surgeries performed all external by Dr. Kulesh, in Saint-Petersburg, Russia - http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=1671.0

microman

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 10:00:53 AM »

Oh right, you can get misalignments with external?

okay I never knew that, maybe monorails are more prone to them, maybe i read that  misalignments are more common with monorail, I'm not sure what got that into my head.

is LATN prone to knee pain just as lon is, sorry its off topic but it should be a quick answer.

hope things work out for you discreteuser.

Descreteuser

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 05:45:07 PM »

It won't magically remodel. If you let it heal with a misalignment, it will stay that way. Can you show us the x-ray?

no im not posting anymore x rays because people on this forum who are unqualified to read x rays and make judgements will say things such as ''you wont walk again'' and ''you need to get that fixed or u will be crippled''.. and the fact is im already walking only 4 months post op which shows alot of people on this forum have no idea what they are talking about when it comes to knowing whether a complication is mild or not.. it just causes stress thats not needed.. so basically ive had 2 doctors here who say its fine so if i cant get the alignment fixed without causing more complications then i may have to trust the doctors 100% and leave it how it is..

wingspan 180

Descreteuser

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2015, 06:22:08 PM »

The information below shows what the acceptable degree of alignments are that dont require surgery.. Therefore if your mis alignments are within these degrees than there is no problem..

Info from site: http://www.orthobullets.com/trauma/1045/tibia-shaft-fractures

Nonoperative

closed reduction / cast immobilization
        indications
            closed low energy fxs with acceptable alignment
                < 5 degrees varus-valgus angulation
                < 10 degrees anterior/posterior angulation
                > 50% cortical apposition
                < 1 cm shortening
                < 10 degrees rotational alignment

The doctor just sent me my x ray showing a computerised system which measured the degree of my mis alignment.. As you can see above a mis-alignment of less than 10 degrees is acceptable on anterior/posterior angulation.. My misalignment measured at 1.7 degrees.

wingspan 180

microman

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2015, 08:11:46 PM »

well then you should be okay then?  But does that document mean that it will reset itself, or does that mean it will always be misalinged, but that it's okay because it wont affect your mobility?

Descreteuser

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2015, 08:29:03 PM »

well then you should be okay then?  But does that document mean that it will reset itself, or does that mean it will always be misalinged, but that it's okay because it wont affect your mobility?

what it means is if you can picture someone breaking there leg in an accident.. and it goes out of alignment.. if its within 10 degrees it only needs a cast as it doesnt affect function.. same goes for lengthening.. so having my device on now is kinda like having a cast on.. and it can come off once the bone is healed and wont effect function whatsoever.. dr mitkovic's main area is trauma so he has to deal with mis-alignnments all the time.. he said hes had patients with 6 degrees and have absolutely no problems once bone is healed.mine is 1.7 degrees... i wish i had of understood this earlier as it woukld have saved me so much stupid stress..

as for bone remodeling he told me that over 5 years new bone will form where needed and other bone will disappear to the point where your bone will look completely like it did before surgery.. walking completely normal after 7- 9 months from surgery.. start carrying heavy weights while walking a year to 15 months from surgery.. once frames come off your bone consolidates rapidly.. another patient who is 11 months post off did 5cm and is now jogging..

wingspan 180

microman

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2015, 08:43:46 PM »

That's fantastic news, i will be sure to take note of this when I do LL, my flight is booked and i will see you on the 15th!

Descreteuser

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2015, 08:56:48 PM »

That's fantastic news, i will be sure to take note of this when I do LL, my flight is booked and i will see you on the 15th!

put it this way, the information i pass on to you will save you alot of stress.. plus you will have a few patients here going through the same thing so ull be all good..

wingspan 180

microman

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2015, 09:02:19 PM »

what did the previous patient report for the surgery, how would he describe pain level, say around 3/10 or 7/10?

yes i heard after 8 months you are walking normally assuming you did 5cm, but what exactly happens if you do run between 9 and 11 months post op, are you incapable of running in that you can't run naturally or do you just get tired.

also by month 7-8 could you get away with walking with a cane only? as that may be a better upgrade over the walker or crutches.

Descreteuser

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2015, 09:57:32 PM »

what did the previous patient report for the surgery, how would he describe pain level, say around 3/10 or 7/10?

yes i heard after 8 months you are walking normally assuming you did 5cm, but what exactly happens if you do run between 9 and 11 months post op, are you incapable of running in that you can't run naturally or do you just get tired.

also by month 7-8 could you get away with walking with a cane only? as that may be a better upgrade over the walker or crutches.

he said his pain wasnt too bad.. he had pain killers the other night.. he gets out of hospital in a couple of days..

your body will just know when its ready to make the next step.. im walking outside abit without the crutches now and its only been about 4 months.. in another 2 weeks ill prob be able to go get all my groceries and stuff without using the crutches.. yeah 7-8 months i doubt you will need anything more than a cane.

wingspan 180

microman

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2015, 10:27:42 PM »

oh right so after 5 months you will be able to go out in public with the device on you and walk around unaided, that's interesting to hear, can you wear lifts during this process, my plan was to wear 2cm lifts post op and wouldn't mind seeing what my height would be like once i am part way through my consolidation.

Descreteuser

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2015, 10:48:31 PM »

oh right so after 5 months you will be able to go out in public with the device on you and walk around unaided, that's interesting to hear, can you wear lifts during this process, my plan was to wear 2cm lifts post op and wouldn't mind seeing what my height would be like once i am part way through my consolidation.

well my left leg was only done 3.5 months ago.. my right leg abit over 4 months.. so im ahead of where i was expecting to be at this stage.. id say 5 months post op of my right leg that yeah ill be definitely walking full time without crutches.. id say in 2 weeks ill be walking unaided which is good cause we can go get a drink when you get here lol..

theres a new girl that works at reception here who would be around ur height now.. compare yourself to her than stand on something 5cm thick to see the difference.. thats prob better because when ur lengthening u cant really stand up straight.. i still cant completely stand up straight and im 1.5 months post lengthening..

wingspan 180

microman

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2015, 11:00:43 PM »

okay but what kind of walking is it, is it incredibly embarrassing walking, i was thinking maybe if you had a cane you could make it look like natural walking as if the cane would make people think 'oh okay that walking makes sense since he has a cane' if you understand me.

but i don't know if i will leave the house during consolidation anyway, not until i walk normally, what with the nosey neibours and stuff.

Descreteuser

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2015, 11:30:39 PM »

okay but what kind of walking is it, is it incredibly embarrassing walking, i was thinking maybe if you had a cane you could make it look like natural walking as if the cane would make people think 'oh okay that walking makes sense since he has a cane' if you understand me.

but i don't know if i will leave the house during consolidation anyway, not until i walk normally, what with the nosey neibours and stuff.

your hips will be swaying a fair bit but when i was walking outside i was kinda walking like a spastic but i dont really care what other people think.. id say in another 2 or 3 months ill be walking completely normal

wingspan 180

microman

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2015, 12:46:28 AM »

oh right Christ I see well then yeah I wont be walking round my neiberhood like that, I thought it might be a cool limp like walk

ewf

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2015, 01:29:38 AM »

Glad to hear you're officially on board with Dr. Mitkovic microman. In hindsight I could have booked my surgery for July also, but if you're sticking around in Serbia, I'm sure we'll bump into each other over there at some point next month. Good luck with your surgery, I hope everything goes well.
Starting height: 176/177 cm
Wingspan: 184 cm
Goal height: 187 cm-188 cm
Pages: [1]   Go Up