Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice about lower leg pain(again)  (Read 9100 times)

programdude

Advice about lower leg pain(again)
« on: April 08, 2015, 11:59:37 AM »

I posted about my lower/middle femur pain before when I was much less recovered. Now I'm a lot more recovered and its still there, to varying degrees. it very much seems to be muscle based not bone, and mainly triggers from walking movements, but can be felt when I lift it a bit too. The left leg is much weaker too as a result of whatever the problem is.

I'm wondering what peoples thoughts on it are. My theory is that somehow a muscle is tight somewhere thats causing issues, but I don't know if that even makes sense.
Dr. Paley Patient- Surgery completed successfully on July 22nd
My Diary for those who want a real play by play to know what to expect:http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=733.0

Starting height: 5 8
End Height-:5 11 +

Uppland

Re: Advice about lower leg pain(again)
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 01:07:46 PM »

Perhaps you can contact your surgeon (Dr. Paley I believe) and ask for a diagnosis?

Myself I'm a medical layman so my guess is as good as yours I'm afraid.

programdude

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 05:36:04 PM »

The problem with Paley is his answer before was to come see him. A trip would be pretty expensive in terms of opportunity costs +whatever he'd charge etc.

I'll obviously do what I need to do, but if anyone has theories on what to try they'd be welcome. I'm not sure if I just need to resistance train that part, or take all weight off it(seems doubtful since it was an issue before I walked)to let it heal up, get 100% loose.

I just want to get it to where my right leg is finally, seeing as that has been feeling like my plain old leg.
My Diary for those who want a real play by play to know what to expect:http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=733.0

Taller

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 06:18:52 PM »

Are any of the screws holding the Precise 2 nail in place protruding out of your femur bone? If so, the screw ends might be making contact with your muscle in an unpleasant way as the muscle passes over them as it contracts and relaxes.

Just a guess, but it seems feasible in my mind.

programdude

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 06:41:38 PM »

Its funny you say that, as Paley just wrote me saying he thinks it may be hardware related.

My biggest concern however would be getting it taken out and it not solving things and me needing some further expense.

chrisperez

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 07:21:14 PM »

Its funny you say that, as Paley just wrote me saying he thinks it may be hardware related.

My biggest concern however would be getting it taken out and it not solving things and me needing some further expense.

I thought paley is perfect and makes no mistake?

sadboy

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 07:35:57 PM »

Is the pain bearable at least? Can you sleep and walk fine?

programdude

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 07:56:00 PM »

I thought paley is perfect and makes no mistake?
I certainly have never said that lol. The sad thing is though that everyone else I know is doing extremely well with recovery(don't get me wrong I'm glad for them), and I am by far doing the worst because of this.

And the pain is fine(nonexistent) for sleep and anything stationary. When walking it is ever present and when running it is unbearable.

sadboy

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2015, 08:08:13 PM »

I hope everything goes well but you will need to visit Paley again unfortunately. The others who are going extremely well lengthened less cm than you, am I right? Or is it just you, that you are unlucky?

programdude

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2015, 08:11:54 PM »

One lengthened the same as me and was walking a month sooner and fully back to normal now it seems. Others did lengthen less, but mostly similar amounts. But yes, its looking like I will need to see Paley.

sadboy

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2015, 08:18:54 PM »

Look, at least look at it the bright way. You are done with LL, you are now noticably taller and there is no pain when you are stationary.

Please keep in touch with us because we need this support since some of us in this forum still didn't do LL yet. I will do mine in a few months and you are definitely helping me with this, to be prepared and what to expect etc... I will go to Dr. Paley too and lengthen as much as you on my femurs. Good luck to you.

programdude

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2015, 10:59:04 PM »

Even being not recovered, the experience of LL I am still happy to not be going through any more.

And even semi crippled the benefits of being tall are great, so its not weighing on my mind anymore.

Still, gonna have to resolve the pain one way or another.

sadboy

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2015, 10:02:48 AM »

Wait, you are still crippled after so many months?

Samuimw

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2015, 04:17:43 PM »

Excuse me but what do you mean with "semi crippled"?

YellowSpike

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2015, 04:28:53 PM »

PD, do you ever feel any numbness in the area you are having issues with? Like, if you were to bend and kneel on your knees, do you feel numbness there or on your shins?

crimsontide

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2015, 07:58:35 PM »

i dont know what semi crippled means

but recovery takes forever...  its   comforting on one hand and exasperating on the other

eg... i just read a diary from a guy that did 8 cm on tibia... also did achilles surgery like i did

he just posted hes fine now,  all is great, etc.... 2 years after the surgery

10 months after achilles surgery he sys he was still crouched while walking

sweden... similar recovery

so i guess we recover but it just takes so long.... the more i read on the other  site,...its just more and evidence  that   recovery takes around 2 years

be prepared mentally and forget about recovering in 5 months or so.... i still people posting and asking if they can lengthen like 5 or 6 cm and be ok in 6 months

it just is not gonna happen

programdude

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2015, 10:22:27 PM »

I hope people who follow my diary take from it the huge amount of time this can take. Had I had a different kind of job I could have well been screwed. I do think femurs for 5-6 would have a much much faster recovery however.

Semi-Crippled might be excessive, but I basically mean not normal but I am certainly not immobile. Exactly what I mean is: I can walk, though my strides a bit off(mainly due to a touch of lingering tightness), and did so for a whole weekend, though at the end of it my left leg was very sore. Sometimes there is little to no pain when walking briefly on my left leg, however other times it is significant especially for extended periods. Running can't really happen, but I think I might be close. If in the next month my walking at least isn't basically normal then I'd be surprised- Once I actually started walking and building glutes and strength up again the difference was significant pretty fast.

Theres no numbness involved, and keep in mind my right leg feels like a million bucks.

Overdozer

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2015, 11:23:58 PM »

10 months after achilles surgery he sys he was still crouched while walking

So are you saying it takes 1 year to recover from achilles tendon release? Why did you choose to get it then, instead of stretching it?
Pre-surgery - 167 cm, Post-surgery - 181 cm
Final arm span - 177 cm, Sitting height - 90 cm

Lengthened 7.5 cm in tibias and femurs and 3.5 cm in each humerus. Surgeries performed all external by Dr. Kulesh, in Saint-Petersburg, Russia - http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=1671.0

Samuimw

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2015, 06:23:13 AM »

Taking time to recover is normal , everything needs time to recover. Example , injuries after accidents.

crimsontide

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2015, 07:07:38 AM »

it takes as long or longer to recover from ballerina.... if ever

look at sweden... can give other examples... sometimes he issue never resolves completely

and im saying it takes around 2 years to recover regardless

look at the diaries here.... look at the diaries on the other site.... over  18-24 months  is the rule rather than the exception

programdude

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2015, 06:00:04 PM »

Taking time to recover is normal , everything needs time to recover. Example , injuries after accidents.

I am doing better by the day I would say. I just want to stress to people this can take much longer than 6 months that many assume if you are doing 8 CM.

I may have a way to get the rods out with insurance thanks to a tip from a lengthener I know, so if that is actually a factor, it may be removed soon.

YellowSpike

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2015, 06:00:52 PM »

Ok PD, I was just asking about the numbness because I thought maybe it was soft tissue related. I know for me, my left leg hurt a lot more than my right towards the end, and this was the leg had a good amount of numbness (which has mostly subsided now). I did 7cm, and my walking is still bad at the moment. I imagine I have about another month of bad walking...which sucks, but it is what it is.

Your best bet is probably to see Paley, even though it sucks you'll have to make the trip.

I'm hoping I can get my rods out from insurance too. Two surgeons I asked said that insurance typically covers it. I know I was able to get disability insurance while I was out from work, so I think I"ll be fine.

programdude

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2015, 06:06:13 PM »

Trips not a big deal. I am mainly concerned about trips, expenses and nothing coming of it. I am recovering some naturally so I am becoming less worried. Just need to stay on my A game with stretches and see how the pain progresses.

I've been walking daily and even going to outings like bars, so its not unlivable, just not recovered. I am hoping to start practicing jogging next week or so.

Pages: [1]   Go Up