Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice from those who have done femurs on learning to walk again  (Read 4395 times)

YellowSpike

I've been trying to walk at least an hour a day outside (more like 40 minutes I guess, since I stop and use my crutches frequently still), and walk around my apartment pretty much full-time without crutches.

When I walk, should I focus on trying to walk straight without waddling, or just let myself waddle? I ask because I notice that it takes more effort (and I get tired faster) for me to walk straight, but I can walk longer when I waddle.

Would appreciate any tips from femur vets as to how they learned to walk normally again. Thanks folks  :)

YellowSpike

Re: Advice from those who have done femurs on learning to walk again
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 12:32:48 AM »

...and not a single response was given that day. Feelsbadman.jpg.

Joel

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 12:38:20 AM »

no idea clueless.jpg
5'5 manlet of peace

Smallguy

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 12:57:25 AM »

Yeah that's because this forum don't have many active femur vet.

But for the purpose of inserting some oxytocin into your day, I will try my best to answer this thread  :D

I did tibaes but the same concept should apply.

Your legs waddle because they are still weak. The muscle is still recovery and adapting. Movement control and speed can be attained through developing stronger legs muscle.. as well as doing explosive exercises. Also, give them more time.

Can you squat? How are those legs exercises coming along? If there is a gym around you, I would take advantage of those stationary cycling bikes. Try them for at least an hour. I'll guaranteed you that you will notice a difference.

But the fact that you are walking after one month of posting lengthening itself is already a remarkable achievement. Just give yourself more time and soon you'll be off of your feet!  ;)
I live in the American Gardens Building on W. 81st Street on the 11th floor. My name is Patrick Bateman. I'm 27 years old. I believe in taking care of myself and a balanced diet and rigorous exercise routine.

YellowSpike

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 01:42:59 AM »

no idea clueless.jpg

LMAO I love you Joel  8)

Yeah that's because this forum don't have many active femur vet.

But for the purpose of inserting some oxytocin into your day, I will try my best to answer this thread  :D

I did tibaes but the same concept should apply.

Your legs waddle because they are still weak. The muscle is still recovery and adapting. Movement control and speed can be attained through developing stronger legs muscle.. as well as doing explosive exercises. Also, give them more time.

Can you squat? How are those legs exercises coming along? If there is a gym around you, I would take advantage of those stationary cycling bikes. Try them for at least an hour. I'll guaranteed you that you will notice a difference.

But the fact that you are walking after one month of posting lengthening itself is already a remarkable achievement. Just give yourself more time and soon you'll be off of your feet!  ;)

Thanks Smallguy! I actually started walking about 3 weeks after clicking. Was told I could do it earlier but I was just really freaked out and scared, so I have to make it up!

Actually I have a stationary exercise bike in my apartment, but as I've been walking more, I haven't been using it as much. I guess I'm gonna go back to that now. Should I increase the resistance? Also, someone recommended that I do hip raises to reduce the waddling, so I'm gonna try that as well. Can't wait to be walking and fix my duckass already. My lower back hurts after walking, but I knew this was to be expected at this point.

Thanks bro!

crimsontide

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 01:53:42 AM »

waddle is not restricted to just femur lengthening

i   was waddling a lot... i still do a little... its because the muscles are weak... just need more time and keep going to the gym

ive felt muc better the last few days..... so trust me, it gets better...

YellowSpike

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 02:01:49 AM »

waddle is not restricted to just femur lengthening

i   was waddling a lot... i still do a little... its because the muscles are weak... just need more time and keep going to the gym

ive felt muc better the last few days..... so trust me, it gets better...

Yeah. I felt bad because my family got upset when they saw me waddling. It simultaneously embarrassed me but also made me feel sorry that they had to see it, even though I reassured them it would go away.

What should I do at the gym? I have an exercise bike in my apartment, so I'm good with that, but what could I really do at the gym now in the early stages of healing and barely walking?

crimsontide

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2015, 03:03:07 AM »

i understand... i  definitely avoided people

if ur barely walking, then just rest... but light machine use is good... need to strengthen quads, hammy,muscles around the knee

just takes time

YellowSpike

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2015, 03:30:10 AM »

i understand... i  definitely avoided people

if ur barely walking, then just rest... but light machine use is good... need to strengthen quads, hammy,muscles around the knee

just takes time

Nah man, I can't afford to rest. I need to challenge myself. It definitely SUCKS...walking results in pain in my legs, it looks horrible, and it's embarrassing...but I have to push through it. I have no other choice.

I'm pretty sure Dr. G won't clear me doing any weights on the machines for legs at this early stage...so my only hope I guess is just to keep walking. It'll get better.

crimsontide

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2015, 03:31:15 AM »

only time and rest are gonna do it... can't force it

Smallguy

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2015, 04:05:15 AM »

Yeah, it's better to be safe than sorry. But you will get there eventually.

The good thing with Dr. G's nail is that it's full weight bearing so you have less risk of snapping the nail should you exert too much force on to it. But like you said, you need to check with the Dr to see if you can try out the more strenuous workout on the weight machine.

An excellent one is the leg press/leg curl. Also cycling helps in the early stage of recovery if you put on more resistance as you go. But don't workout just your legs. Workout your arms and entire body as well to keep your body in a state of recovery mode. . So in this early stage you can try cycling until Dr. G gives you the green-light and do upper body workout.

Jumping ropes is also an excellent way to increase your agility and improve your stamina. You should try this later on combine with running on the treadmill or outside.

Unless pain is holding you back, there is no reason why LL full recovery is not achievable. Though you have to learn to get used to your longer legs,.... LL recovery is like studying, the more you work at it, the better you become.
I live in the American Gardens Building on W. 81st Street on the 11th floor. My name is Patrick Bateman. I'm 27 years old. I believe in taking care of myself and a balanced diet and rigorous exercise routine.

YellowSpike

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2015, 01:38:25 PM »

Yeah, it's better to be safe than sorry. But you will get there eventually.

The good thing with Dr. G's nail is that it's full weight bearing so you have less risk of snapping the nail should you exert too much force on to it. But like you said, you need to check with the Dr to see if you can try out the more strenuous workout on the weight machine.

An excellent one is the leg press/leg curl. Also cycling helps in the early stage of recovery if you put on more resistance as you go. But don't workout just your legs. Workout your arms and entire body as well to keep your body in a state of recovery mode. . So in this early stage you can try cycling until Dr. G gives you the green-light and do upper body workout.

Jumping ropes is also an excellent way to increase your agility and improve your stamina. You should try this later on combine with running on the treadmill or outside.

Unless pain is holding you back, there is no reason why LL full recovery is not achievable. Though you have to learn to get used to your longer legs,.... LL recovery is like studying, the more you work at it, the better you become.

Thanks bud. Well, i knew walking was gonna be a bit painful and awkward in the early stages. But I have to do it. I have no choice! Just gotta carry on.

Well, the only thing about doing an upper body workout is that I heard it can slow the recovery of your leg, since your body is using all of its "recovery resources" to heal your legs. But I could be wrong. I will shoot Dr. G an email. He basically just told me to wait and walk...too bad I'm not a patient person lol...
Pages: [1]   Go Up