Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Staying within the very safe range; How much time does it shave off?  (Read 2473 times)

hadrian

In recovery and whatnot? Depending on starting leg length, the safe zone could differ by a couple cms, but we're being hypothetical here.  Say if someone opted for 5cms instead of 7, is there a large amount of time saved in the recovery? People have vouched that for every cm past a certain point, it takes much longer to recover with a greater chance of potential complications. Generally it seems like most logs go to 6 or 7cms at the least, so I was wondering if that was affecting the long recovery times of those like KiloKahn.
Is it time to close this chapter of my life, and look towards the future?

crimsontide

Re: Staying within the very safe range; How much time does it shave off?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 08:09:13 AM »

no...

i know a guy that did 5 cm... took 14-15 months just to walk unaided

hadrian

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 08:14:18 AM »

no...

i know a guy that did 5 cm... took 14-15 months just to walk unaided
Were his legs exceedingly short? I could imagine 5cms on a 5'2" guy would be the equivalent of 8cms on someone taller. Or something to that effect. The '20% or less of tibia/femur length being safe' ratio purported by a lot of docs comes to mind.

I'm assuming that there is a difference in recovery time but I want to know whether staying in the conservative range versus the moderate range is significant.
Is it time to close this chapter of my life, and look towards the future?

Smallguy

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 08:31:30 PM »

Hey Hadrian,

This is correct. Risk/complication is reduced the less you lengthen.

Though everyone is different, the average lengthening is 1mm per day. With 5cm, the cumulative lengthening time, hospital, and resting is 3 months and for 8cm, is 4 months.... provided that you are complication free. This is the time frame that you are expected to be able to walk on crutches, hop on the airplane and fly back home. You will need to use crutches for an additional 2 weeks, followed by crane for another 2 weeks, then 2 more weeks before you can fully walk unsupported.

I assume that you are going for tibias. I recommend you go with either LON (offered in China/India and maybe Europe, you need to look this up) or internal precise 2 (if you have money). If you go with precise 2, I believe you can lengthen at home one leg at a time with Dr. M or you can stay near Dr. Paley in the east coast. Paley is the highly recommended route though I wouldn't recommend Dr. M due to his lack of ethics. However, if you go for the cheaper option, the expected time abroad for LON is

4 months LON, for 8cm.
3 months LON, for 5cm

The main problem with LON is knee pain. I personally didn't have it but others have. If you go for full external, the expected time abroad is much longer but you don't have to come back for a 2nd surgical procedure to have the nail removed though I unaware of the length of time that you need to stay abroad. Check Kik's diary. Cheers.
I live in the American Gardens Building on W. 81st Street on the 11th floor. My name is Patrick Bateman. I'm 27 years old. I believe in taking care of myself and a balanced diet and rigorous exercise routine.

crimsontide

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 08:36:51 PM »

average rate is lower than 1 mm

maybe .66 mm a day

if you lengthen 8 cm on tibias....  gonna be more than 5 or 6 months before youre walking  normal unaided

plan for over a year

programdude

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 09:25:29 AM »

The people I know who did less on femurs and were male did recover way faster. WAY WAY faster. 5 CM with reputable dr. should shave off months.
Dr. Paley Patient- Surgery completed successfully on July 22nd
My Diary for those who want a real play by play to know what to expect:http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=733.0

Starting height: 5 8
End Height-:5 11 +

Joel

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 09:36:07 PM »

Why does no one listen?  5 is a magic number you know what seven did to 9?  789 or in English Seven ate Nine so don't go above 5 on your tiba's amd 6-7 on your femurs

/case closed sirs.
5'5 manlet of peace
Pages: [1]   Go Up