Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: So, just how bad is smoking and LL?  (Read 3133 times)

FutureLengthener

So, just how bad is smoking and LL?
« on: March 23, 2015, 06:18:31 PM »

I know it can block nutrient absorption, and slow bone healing to make non-unions more possible...but in practice, how much would it slow LL recovery? I thought I read in a few diaries that some people smoked throughout the whole process and ended up okay.

YellowSpike

Re: So, just how bad is smoking and LL?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 06:20:24 PM »

I was a light smoker for a few years. In the last two years (I stopped a few days before my surgery), I averaged 2-3 cigarettes a day, and some days none. So I wasn't that bad. The recovery of my femurs at the moment is slow-ish (particularly, my left leg). Every LL doctor I consulted with warned against smoking. I wonder how much further along I'd be if I'd never smoked. I'm not gonna go back it, aside from maybe socially/while drinking.

FutureLengthener

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 06:29:01 PM »

I was a light smoker for a few years. In the last two years (I stopped a few days before my surgery), I averaged 2-3 cigarettes a day, and some days none. So I wasn't that bad. The recovery of my femurs at the moment is slow-ish (particularly, my left leg). Every LL doctor I consulted with warned against smoking. I wonder how much further along I'd be if I'd never smoked. I'm not gonna go back it, aside from maybe socially/while drinking.

Well you can never be sure the smoking made your recovery slow, in fact such a light amount shouldn't have had too much impact. But of course when you're trying to recover from broken bones, every day less you spend crippled counts. I smoke half a pack a day, I guess I should quit a few weeks before my surgery.

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 06:36:42 PM »

It's bad enough that many doctors will absolutely refuse to do CLL on you if they find out that you're a smoker.

This is a good, somewhat brief read about the effects smoking has on bone healing.

http://www.virginia.edu/uvaprint/HSC/pdf/05021.pdf
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

YellowSpike

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 06:40:42 PM »

Well you can never be sure the smoking made your recovery slow, in fact such a light amount shouldn't have had too much impact. But of course when you're trying to recover from broken bones, every day less you spend crippled counts. I smoke half a pack a day, I guess I should quit a few weeks before my surgery.

My PT said as long as you don't smoke post surgery, it's fine, but I read a study that showed that even former smokers who had quit for a while had slightly slower bone regeneration. But I knew this going into it. I'll probably still enjoy a cigarette in the future here and there, once my recovery has made solid progress, that is.

DoctorGirl

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 06:47:05 PM »

We are talking about wound necrosis, I think it should be similar for bone surgery. Facelift patients who smoke get their face rotten in the worst case.
No longer doing femur operation due to high risks. Here to educate.

shordepressed

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 02:39:06 PM »

Needs smoke
Pages: [1]   Go Up