Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quantifying risks of CLL based on amount lengthened  (Read 3142 times)

NewHeights

Quantifying risks of CLL based on amount lengthened
« on: March 23, 2015, 01:10:11 PM »

Hello All,

Many members seem to be very concerned about the short  term and long term risks of CLL.

In my mind, the risks "should" increase exponentially depending on amount lengthened. In the short term, you are asking your body to go through much worse hell for 9 CM than 5 CM, and in the long term, I see more lengthening equating to worse biomechanics and greater risk for life long chronic pain than less lengthening.

Is there a range which is considered VERY SAFE (like less than 4.5 CM), a moderate risk range, and a high risk range? Is it possible to quantify the risk based on amount lengthened?

I don't think the general risks of CLL should be viewed in isolation, because obviously the amount lengthened is a huge factor.
177CM/176CM morning/evening :( Wingspan 178 CM :( Inseam/Height 47.7% :( BPEL 7.5" :)
Option 1: Inversion and Glucosamine to 177+CM :)
Option 2: CLL to 180 CM :)
"Be the best version of yourself"

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
Re: Quantifying risks of CLL based on amount lengthened
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 01:15:19 PM »

I don't know if it's even that easy, despite how intuitive it sounds.  I had a really rough beginning and started actually feeling better after passing the 5cm mark, where some people say is when you need to stop.

NewHeights

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 01:28:22 PM »

I don't know if it's even that easy, despite how intuitive it sounds.  I had a really rough beginning and started actually feeling better after passing the 5cm mark, where some people say is when you need to stop.

Isn't it expected to be rough during the lengthening process though? I'm talking more about the long term risk. I would assume 5 CM is safer long term than 9 CM+

177CM/176CM morning/evening :( Wingspan 178 CM :( Inseam/Height 47.7% :( BPEL 7.5" :)

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 01:39:06 PM »

Isn't it expected to be rough during the lengthening process though? I'm talking more about the long term risk. I would assume 5 CM is safer long term than 9 CM+

I assume you mean arthritis.  Nothing feels awkward when I move the joints, like it would eventually cause an issue.  I don't think it'll be a problem, at least not with tibiae where the mechanical axis isn't changed.

Alittletooshort

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 02:11:36 PM »

I assume you mean arthritis.  Nothing feels awkward when I move the joints, like it would eventually cause an issue.  I don't think it'll be a problem, at least not with tibiae where the mechanical axis isn't changed.
Hey MDOW,
Do you think there is a possibility to get back some of the endurance you've lost during the lengthening process? When thinking back would you have done LON again, or would you go for the external method?

Uppland

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 02:17:01 PM »

User spiderman, for all his faults, said something i think makes a lot of sense. The doctor he spoke to believed too strong painkillers masked the irreversible tissue damage and that's not good beause the lengthening need to stop when these symptoms show up.

So I guess the safe amount is the length you can gain before  permanent damage occur.

ReadRothbard

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 02:24:39 PM »

Dr. Paley once wrote that under 5 cm is low risk, 5-8 cm is medium risk, and over 8 cm is high risk.
“If you're afraid - don't do it, - if you're doing it - don't be afraid!” ― Genghis Khan

172 cm in the morning (67.8"); 170 cm (67”) at night; Sitting Height: 96 cm (37.8”); Goal: 184.5 cm (6'0.7"); Ultimate Goal: 192 cm (6’3.5) morning height, 190 cm (6’3) “night” height
Future space tycoon

NewHeights

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 02:30:57 PM »

Dr. Paley once wrote that under 5 cm is low risk, 5-8 cm is medium risk, and over 8 cm is high risk.

Ok, that's about what I figured. It is good to get ranges like this, but I just wish the risk assessment was a bit more specific. for example, "less than 5 CM has a 97% chance of full recovery with few long term complications"

I'm just throwing out arbitrary numbers, but I wish the doctors can be more specific regarding the chances of having complications.

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 03:02:16 PM »

Hey MDOW,
Do you think there is a possibility to get back some of the endurance you've lost during the lengthening process? When thinking back would you have done LON again, or would you go for the external method?

I think the endurance I've lost is permanent.  When I move, more is being asked of the leg muscles than before.  Especially the tibialis anterior.  And I do think that lengthening less would've resulted in less loss of endurance.

If I had it to do over again I'd go external only, no LON.  The operation left scar tissue on my patellar tendon that causes discomfort sometimes, at least that's the best diagnosis an orthopedic surgeon could come up with for my knee discomfort.

DoctorGirl

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2015, 03:15:15 PM »

I think the endurance I've lost is permanent.  When I move, more is being asked of the leg muscles than before.  Especially the tibialis anterior.  And I do think that lengthening less would've resulted in less loss of endurance.

If I had it to do over again I'd go external only, no LON.  The operation left scar tissue on my patellar tendon that causes discomfort sometimes, at least that's the best diagnosis an orthopedic surgeon could come up with for my knee discomfort.

Scar tissue remodels over time. Have you tried Ultrasound therapy?
No longer doing femur operation due to high risks. Here to educate.
Pages: [1]   Go Up