Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reactions of others to LL  (Read 4760 times)

Kafka

• Visitor
Reactions of others to LL
« on: March 17, 2015, 07:28:48 PM »

This is one of my main concerns ... it would be invaluable to know about some of the experiences some vets might have made!

Did your social environment instantly and directly recognize the gain (a moderate gain of 5-7cm e.g.; obvisiously people are more likely to recognize an amount of say 8-9cm)?

How did they react (especially girls)? Maybe there might even be someone around who met his current gf/wife (boyfriend/husband in case of vet girl) after LL, how did it go when (if) you told her (him) ?

All answers very much appreciated!!

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
Re: Reactions of others to LL
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 07:40:21 PM »

I'm still in frames and I always cover them with a blanket when I use my wheelchair outside, so I haven't been able to see the full benefits. But those who know I did this seem to have a positive reaction. The funny thing is that those who knew I was going for CLL gave me such a hard time about it and I was discouraged left and right. When I returned and they saw me standing up with my walker for the first time, the first reaction was "Holy s***, you got tall!" A couple of them even stood next to me to compare themselves and said I looked a good height now - goes to show that 5'7 makes a big difference from just under 5'5.
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

YellowSpike

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 07:43:58 PM »

I'm still in frames and I always cover them with a blanket when I use my wheelchair outside, so I haven't been able to see the full benefits. But those who know I did this seem to have a positive reaction. The funny thing is that those who knew I was going for CLL gave me such a hard time about it and I was discouraged left and right. When I returned and they saw me standing up with my walker for the first time, the first reaction was "Holy s***, you got tall!" A couple of them even stood next to me to compare themselves and said I looked a good height now - goes to show that 5'7 makes a big difference from just under 5'5.

This has been EXACTLY my experience as well. Everyone said I was certifiable and discouraged me from doing the surgery. But my family and the few friends who have seen me all say that I look great and noticeably taller. It's particularly noticeable for those that I was the same height as (my dad and boss), because I'm now taller, and also for those that I'm now as tall as.

I'm sure some people (if they notice) will have some negative things to say, but I couldn't care less.

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 08:15:05 PM »

This has been EXACTLY my experience as well. Everyone said I was certifiable and discouraged me from doing the surgery. But my family and the few friends who have seen me all say that I look great and noticeably taller. It's particularly noticeable for those that I was the same height as (my dad and boss), because I'm now taller, and also for those that I'm now as tall as.

I'm sure some people (if they notice) will have some negative things to say, but I couldn't care less.

LL is one of those things that can either be the best thing you've ever done or the worst decision of your life, depending on the outcome of recovery. To get the height benefit without crippling issues is probably the best thing for a man when going from short to average. Like you, those who call me crazy will have their words fall on deaf ears. They never had to be a 5'5 male with half siblings that are 6'0 (m), 6'4 (m), 6'2 (m), 5'11 (f) and 5'8 (f).  lol

YellowSpike

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 08:25:22 PM »

LL is one of those things that can either be the best thing you've ever done or the worst decision of your life, depending on the outcome of recovery. To get the height benefit without crippling issues is probably the best thing for a man when going from short to average. Like you, those who call me crazy will have their words fall on deaf ears. They never had to be a 5'5 male with half siblings that are 6'0 (m), 6'4 (m), 6'2 (m), 5'11 (f) and 5'8 (f).  lol

Agreed on all fronts!

The only people that I somewhat inclined to "listen to" (for lack of a better term) are those who are my former height or shorter, and they didn't care about their height. It's like, why wasn't I able to just get over it? Whatever, we don't owe any explanations for how we live our lives. F em.

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 08:29:50 PM »

It's like, why wasn't I able to just get over it?

That's one of the nagging questions I still have. Are CLLers weak for not being able to deal with social discrimination? Or are we stronger for being determined to change something about ourselves despite the months of pain and isolation?

YellowSpike

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 08:34:47 PM »

That's one of the nagging questions I still have. Are CLLers weak for not being able to deal with social discrimination? Or are we stronger for being determined to change something about ourselves despite the months of pain and isolation?

I think all short men (below 5'7 is where things get really bad, in my opinion) would LIKE to be taller. Not all of them know about LL, have the means to do it, and some legitimately don't care about their height. You can argue that they're mentally stronger, I suppose...but we have the balls to really do something our height. LL is a HUGE gamble, no question.

I had everything going for me before LL, but for me, no amount of success was going to make me feel differently about my height. Most of the short guys I know tend to cling onto relationships, whether good or bad (I've seen them get REALLY whipped). I have learned over the years not to count on anyone (a gf/wife, friends, etc.) but myself. And I wanted to feel better about what I saw in the mirror. I always felt trapped in relationships with good looking girls in the past because I doubted that I could get another hot girl (even though I usually did) because of my height. And I HATED the random comments (even not malicious comments) I would get over the years from friends and from some women. Even women I was already hooking up with would joke about it, and it INFURIATED me (even though I made sure not to let them know it).

Kafka

• Visitor
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 09:16:19 PM »

In my case the nagging question is more whether I will find to be able to cope with the reaction by others on my LL (at least some people are likely to notice the height increase I think - even a 5cm gain) and how this reaction will be. I think if you consider LL from a "person's personal strenght" perspective, one is rather strong for being willing to endure the procedure.

YellowSpike

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 09:19:18 PM »

In my case the nagging question is more whether I will find to be able to cope with the reaction by others on my LL (at least some people are likely to notice the height increase I think - even a 5cm gain) and how this reaction will be. I think if you consider LL from a "person's personal strenght" perspective, one is rather strong for being willing to endure the procedure.

The people in my opinion who will notice the most (I've only seen my family and two friends so far) are women (they are very tuned into how tall we are, trust me on this) and guys that are either our former height (and we're now taller than) or guys that we are now the same height/very slightly shorter than (instead of them being more noticeably taller than us).

Personally for me, I don't give a flying f*ck what anyone says. If my friends give me sh*t, I have no qualms about cutting them out. It's a big world, I'm likable, I'll make new friends! ;)

I'm only a bit concerned about coworkers because I have to work with them (and wouldn't want them to think less of me, even if they don't voice it)...but I used to wear elevator shoes and no one noticed those, so I think I'll be fine.

BelowTheMean

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2015, 04:26:41 AM »

My current plan is to move to another city after LL since I have fewer and fewer attachments to my current one.

I'm at that age (late 20s) where a lot of my friends are getting married or having kids and disappearing from the social circle anyway. I could just say I got a new job, move and start a new life in a new city at a new height. By the time the next reunion comes around everyone will have forgotten how tall I was before.

It's kind of the perfect time to start over!

I think my parents will eventually figure it out, but I don't intend to tell them anything unless they confront me about it.
Stryde Femurs - Debiparshad - Nov 2020
Nail Removal - Downey - Apr 2022
Journal (169cm -> 177cm) http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65617

Current Status: Recovered, moving on

GeTs

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2015, 06:22:54 AM »

definitely not stronger

srimech123

• Hi, nice to meet you!
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2015, 10:55:08 AM »

I don't really care. I am doing this for me and myself only. If my family and friends do put me down, I'll just say "My life, my road, my decision. Keep staying angry, but you won't stop me from being happy".

Personally for me, I don't give a flying f*ck what anyone says. If my friends give me sh*t, I have no qualms about cutting them out. It's a big world, I'm likable, I'll make new friends

If your friends do put you down, then forget about them. They are not your true friends, and they never were from the start.
173cm (5'8") tall at the moment, hoping to be at least 180cm (5'11") tall quite soon (or 6'1" at most).   Saving money for my first LL surgery!

YellowSpike

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2015, 12:03:06 PM »

I don't really care. I am doing this for me and myself only. If my family and friends do put me down, I'll just say "My life, my road, my decision. Keep staying angry, but you won't stop me from being happy".

If your friends do put you down, then forget about them. They are not your true friends, and they never were from the start.

Well yeah, that goes without saying. So far the friends I have told have been very supportive and non-judemental.
Pages: [1]   Go Up