Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Measuring Length gained through X-rays?  (Read 3853 times)

Time4LL

Measuring Length gained through X-rays?
« on: March 13, 2015, 01:09:33 PM »

I am sure this question has been brought up but is there any way to measure length gained through x-rays?

I was thinking if one knew the diameter of the nail you could use that as a scale and then be able to measure the bone gap.

This may be a question for Yellowspike to answer.

It seems everyone I talked to is not exactly sure what exact height they got even ones that went to the top doctors. It seems like this shouldn't be that hard lol.

YellowSpike

Re: Measuring Length gained through X-rays?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 01:19:13 PM »

I am sure this question has been brought up but is there any way to measure length gained through x-rays?

I was thinking if one knew the diameter of the nail you could use that as a scale and then be able to measure the bone gap.

This may be a question for Yellowspike to answer.

It seems everyone I talked to is not exactly sure what exact height they got even ones that went to the top doctors. It seems like this shouldn't be that hard lol.

Yes...this has been the bane of my existence the past few weeks, lol. According to Dr G., the most accurate is the click file (which has me at 6.9cm). He said after 6cm or so, we don't experience any compression loss, because the fact that it's less than 15 clicks per 1mm compensates you. But he said the only way to know for sure would be to retrieve the nails next year and observe it that way. Or, just measure yourself at night as accurately as possible. Stand up against a wall as straight as possible, look forward, use a flat book over your head (make sure it's not tilting up or down), and then mark the wall from the bottom of the book and measure your height that way. Based on this method, I've been measured a few times at night at just over 5'8"...so I'm hoping it's a bit more once my duckass goes away (I'm thinking I may gain another cm or so).

I was told that X-ray estimates could be up to 1cm off. I know the last two times I had radiological estimates, they were 6cm (when I was at around 5cm per the click file) and 7cm (when I was at around 6cm per the click file), respectively. But it's likely that they're a bit less than 1cm off.

Time4LL

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 01:31:49 PM »

Lol yes I know it has been for you. I shouldn't even bring it up. I just wasn't sure why you couldn't use the nail as a scale but I am sure Guichet knows. Limb Lengthening just can't be easy for us lol.

I decided the last time I talked to you that I am not measuring my height anymore because I don't want to know because it bothers me lol. If anyone asks I am 5'9" and thats the end of it.

YellowSpike

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 01:35:02 PM »

Lol yes I know it has been for you. I shouldn't even bring it up. I just wasn't sure why you couldn't use the nail as a scale but I am sure Guichet knows. Limb Lengthening just can't be easy for us lol.

I decided the last time I talked to you that I am not measuring my height anymore because I don't want to know because it bothers me lol. If anyone asks I am 5'9" and thats the end of it.

Hahaha! I know exactly how you feel, man. I'm pretty confident I made it to 5'8", and I think a bit over once my duckass will be gone. Last night I had to lie down on a flat table, and I could actually feel that my back wasn't touching the table! If that's not hiding at least 1cm, I don't know what is!

I wouldn't worry if I were you. I'm sure you got your goal. 5'9" is a great height range.

Time4LL

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 01:40:36 PM »

Yeah it sounds like you are set. I am happy with my height as well. I wore lifts the other day that gave me maybe a half an inch and I didn't feel any different with them on anyway. Its just when you have a goal you want to make sure you achieve it.

What really can drive a person crazy is morning height and night height. lol. Why can't height just stay the same all the time?

ForcedPuberty

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 01:45:04 PM »

don't trust the x rays. for example.

I had an x ray and at different magnifications stated slightly different lengths.

they are a fairly accurate guide if they are digital. however just bring in a metal object of known length and make sure it is on the x ray with your bones. you can then calculate with accuracy how much of a gap you have.

Nope, 20cm is just nope.

"because FP's the hero LL Forum deserves, but not the one is needs right now. So we'll hunt him, because he can take it. because hes not the hero. He's a silent gardian, watchfull protector. The Dark Knight."

YellowSpike

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 01:45:08 PM »

Yeah it sounds like you are set. I am happy with my height as well. I wore lifts the other day that gave me maybe a half an inch and I didn't feel any different with them on anyway. Its just when you have a goal you want to make sure you achieve it.

What really can drive a person crazy is morning height and night height. lol. Why can't height just stay the same all the time?

Once again - you are preaching to the choir! Our height bothered us for so damn long, and we finally did something out it...we want what we want!! A lot of LL'ers are type-A by nature, because it takes a (semi-crazy) type-A person to really pursue and get through this. And yeah, when I wear my Nike Air sneakers, I practically tower over my dad and boss (they are both around my former height, actually my dad was a solid 5'6", a bit taller than I was).

And yeah, the morning and night height disparity is annoying as hell. After I recover, I will be investing in glucosamine and yoga/pilates to help maintain my morning height and possibly even squeeze out an extra inch or so. A second LL isn't in the cards for me, which is why I've been obsessing more. Others on here (who were like 5'8" to begin with - SMH) are young and are planning two LLs...they don't need to worry about their results as much, as a result.

Time4LL

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 02:06:53 PM »

@ForcedPuberty so then the nail could be used for a scale? Because I am sure my nail is 10 mm in diameter.

@YellowSpike I also have bought glucosamine tablets and may look into doing Yoga or something. My back always aches and pops even before surgery so I am hoping that helps with that as well.

I would love to be 5'11" which I could easily achieve with a second LL but I think that would be too much. I have a friend that a little taller than that and his hands and sitting height are so much more than mine so I think I would look ridiculous if I was as tall as him. I am going back to the United States in 4 days and will see my Dad then who is about 5'9" and will be interested to compare my height to his. I would just love to be an inch taller but would not be worth getting a second operation. Hopefully like you said maybe we could squeeze out an inch between better posture and retaining morning height.

YellowSpike

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2015, 02:08:53 PM »

@ForcedPuberty so then the nail could be used for a scale? Because I am sure my nail is 10 mm in diameter.

@YellowSpike I also have bought glucosamine tablets and may look into doing Yoga or something. My back always aches and pops even before surgery so I am hoping that helps with that as well.

I would love to be 5'11" which I could easily achieve with a second LL but I think that would be too much. I have a friend that a little taller than that and his hands and sitting height are so much more than mine so I think I would look ridiculous if I was as tall as him. I am going back to the United States in 4 days and will see my Dad then who is about 5'9" and will be interested to compare my height to his. I would just love to be an inch taller but would not be worth getting a second operation. Hopefully like you said maybe we could squeeze out an inch between better posture and retaining morning height.

Dude, 5'9" is a great height...you're like .5 inches below the average in the US. So with sneakers, you can be over 5'10". You don't need a second LL!

Time4LL

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2015, 02:21:09 PM »

Yeah I know. It isn't something I am even considering. Unless I won the lottery or something lol.

ItsMyLife

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2015, 02:22:26 PM »

my Singapore surgeons used "landmarks" on the illizarov fixator, and used it as a scale.... just some simple maths. bluebarbie's doctor placed an X-ray marker on the X-ray film.

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2015, 08:06:01 PM »

my Singapore surgeons used "landmarks" on the illizarov fixator, and used it as a scale.... just some simple maths. bluebarbie's doctor placed an X-ray marker on the X-ray film.

Yeah, as long as you know how big something else is in the x-ray, the amount lengthened can be calculated pretty accurately from that.  With LON the internal nail is right there, so it gets used for that purpose.

Time4LL

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2015, 08:59:26 PM »

Ok, I know it is simple math I just was wondering if there was something I wasn't taking into account.

Such as the bone gap being longer than the amount actually gained because it was sawed or something of that nature. I don't know what else would prevent that from being off. I will use the internal nail as a scale and just figure that is what I gained.

Thanks for the help guys.
Pages: [1]   Go Up