Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Did you work or think you could have worked at your job during consolidation?  (Read 3068 times)

brianh70

• Visitor

Hi everyone,

I want to ask people who have done external LL and had good (meaning you would like to keep it) office-type jobs at considerable-sized company/office before doing LL. By office jobs, I mean jobs which are primarily sitting and doing something at computer type of jobs = in theory, possible to perform with being of limited mobility.

I'm specifically asking about consolidation period and external lengthening.

Here is what I don't want to appear in this thread:
- opinion about working during lengthening period - it was covered many times and we don't need to hear about it again
- opinion of people who worked at home as freelancers/their job allowed them to work from home or worked at somehow physical jobs - it's obvious what you did
- opinion about not wanting your coworkers to see you after you lengthened - it's a personal thing and not a real roadblock in terms of keeping your job

So here is what I'm interested in hearing from you:
1. If you did return to office during consolidation period, were you able to pull it off or was it too much to handle physically? Did you continue to work regardless or you decided to quit ? What was the biggest obstacle that made you quit anyways?
2. If you didn't return to work even though your job allowed you to return after lengthening period, do you think you could have worked during consolidation period from today's perspective?
3. What did you tell your employer to get a leave for the lengthening period and, if it was something made up, did you end up having problems because of that?
4. Did you have someone to help you get to/from work, at home with daily tasks? Do you think you could have done it even without having someone like that?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience.

YellowSpike

I'm working from home now and for the next few weeks. My firm's HR department has no problem with me working from home until I'm set, but I still feel pressured to get back in as soon as I can. So I'll probably be on crutches when I go back, I don't see any other way.

I took a medical leave of absence (fully paid), as I was able to arrange for get short-term disability (they don't do as good a due diligence as medical insurance, and so my bow-legged excuse totally worked). So when people ask at work, I already have a cover story.

My fears are returning to work on crutches (it'll just look weird), and them noticing I'm taller. But I used to wear lifts, so I'm not too worried about the latter.

I guess I'll share more about this in a few weeks.

BelowTheMean

I'm working from home now and for the next few weeks. My firm's HR department has no problem with me working from home until I'm set, but I still feel pressured to get back in as soon as I can. So I'll probably be on crutches when I go back, I don't see any other way.

I took a medical leave of absence (fully paid), as I was able to arrange for get short-term disability (they don't do as good a due diligence as medical insurance, and so my bow-legged excuse totally worked). So when people ask at work, I already have a cover story.

My fears are returning to work on crutches (it'll just look weird), and them noticing I'm taller. But I used to wear lifts, so I'm not too worried about the latter.

I guess I'll share more about this in a few weeks.

Yea it would be nice to know. I'd consider trying to get short term disability too, but unfortunately I work in the health care industry so it may be scrutinized a lot more.
Stryde Femurs - Debiparshad - Nov 2020
Nail Removal - Downey - Apr 2022
Journal (169cm -> 177cm) http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65617

Current Status: Recovered, moving on

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member

I could have worked during consolidation, absolutely.  Just a few weeks after my frames were off I could get around, albeit slowly.

I don't think I could have done it with frames on, though.  The frames seemed to especially bother me more than they do most people, it seems.  So if you're doing external-only, don't think of it as a definite thing that you'll be able to go back to work.

crimsontide

no way could i work when i had frames on... not a chance

BelowTheMean

I can prob convince my manager to let me work from home for a while. I think I could do that while consolidating for sure.
Stryde Femurs - Debiparshad - Nov 2020
Nail Removal - Downey - Apr 2022
Journal (169cm -> 177cm) http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65617

Current Status: Recovered, moving on

spaller2015

• Newbi

some people have adviced me to stay next to doctor during the whole process since its very dangerous. some patients have been told to go back home and work right away and they have had a lot of problems. you should take a Medical leave or something.

And what do you think about internals? Do you think you could have worked at your job during consolidation? And during lengthening?

Nobody answered this question. I had asked similar question never got any direct reply. Would anybody be kind enough to answer this question that I believe many people have? thanks.

"what do you think about internals? Do you think you could have worked at your job during consolidation? And during lengthening?"
Pages: [1]   Go Up