Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Will leg lengthening make us worse fighters?  (Read 12436 times)

Uppland

Will leg lengthening make us worse fighters?
« on: March 07, 2015, 10:50:06 PM »

This is a strange question, I've never been in a fight and I intend to try and keep it that way but for some reason it bothers me. Most people that have done the surgery experience much reduced reaction time or "explosivness", this combined with shorter arms for our new height should make us pretty bad at fighting even if we recover well otherwise.

Not only that but our balance should also be worse, what do you guys think?

mb53

Re: Will leg lengthening make us worse fighters?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 11:00:32 PM »

Lol... if you're that worried about getting into street fights learn krav maga or something.

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 12:15:06 AM »

Yes, I'm sure it does.  Although the visual height and the self-confidence it gives you makes you less likely to get into one, so there's that benefit.

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 12:41:50 AM »

Your center of gravity becomes higher and your balance will probably be worse, meaning it will be easier to take you down to the ground. You don't get your reach advantage with the extra height either unless you go and get your arms lengthened to improve it.

I think CLL will only give disadvantages in fighting, although you may look more intimidating after you regain your muscles and will be less likely to get into one due to added height and more self-confidence, as MDOW said.
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

Uppland

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 01:02:34 AM »

Lol... if you're that worried about getting into street fights learn krav maga or something.

Nah, it's not that mate. I just feel bad about how my body will be less agile and athletic after LL. I think in my case it might be worth it anyway, but it's a damn high price to pay.

mb53

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 03:20:01 AM »

Nah, it's not that mate. I just feel bad about how my body will be less agile and athletic after LL. I think in my case it might be worth it anyway, but it's a damn high price to pay.
Oh. Actually, I feel the exact same way (I'm intending to get it done this summer). It really does bother me how my body will become weaker, but I think the benefits of the surgery will outweigh the costs.

ReadRothbard

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 06:47:29 PM »

I don't really think anything terrible will happen. You'll probably be just as good a fighter once you are fully recovered and get used to your longer legs.
“If you're afraid - don't do it, - if you're doing it - don't be afraid!” ― Genghis Khan

172 cm in the morning (67.8"); 170 cm (67”) at night; Sitting Height: 96 cm (37.8”); Goal: 184.5 cm (6'0.7"); Ultimate Goal: 192 cm (6’3.5) morning height, 190 cm (6’3) “night” height
Future space tycoon

Uppland

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 07:40:30 PM »

I don't really think anything terrible will happen. You'll probably be just as good a fighter once you are fully recovered and get used to your longer legs.

Why do you think that, what about reaction times, clumsiness and the fact that we will have musclse that are too short?

ReadRothbard

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, 07:53:01 PM »

Why do you think that, what about reaction times, clumsiness and the fact that we will have musclse that are too short?
Clumsiness won't matter once you get used to your longer legs. Reaction times aren't going to change (unless you are talking about kicks, which aren't really used very much by fighters anyways). Since new muscle grows in when lengthening and consolidating, " shorter" muscles aren't going to be a problem.
“If you're afraid - don't do it, - if you're doing it - don't be afraid!” ― Genghis Khan

172 cm in the morning (67.8"); 170 cm (67”) at night; Sitting Height: 96 cm (37.8”); Goal: 184.5 cm (6'0.7"); Ultimate Goal: 192 cm (6’3.5) morning height, 190 cm (6’3) “night” height
Future space tycoon

Taller

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2015, 08:06:19 PM »

Clumsiness won't matter once you get used to your longer legs. Reaction times aren't going to change (unless you are talking about kicks, which aren't really used very much by fighters anyways). Since new muscle grows in when lengthening and consolidating, " shorter" muscles aren't going to be a problem.

This is all true, as far as I know. Plus you'll be punching from higher up, meaning you'll likely be punching downwards instead of upwards more often. The additional gravitational force behind your punches will give them more power, allowing you to deal more damage when you land punches, especially for Uppland and ReadRothbard, since both will be well above average height after LL, making the likelihood of having to punch downwards in a fight pretty good.

Uppland

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2015, 08:33:30 PM »

Yes, I'm sure it does.  Although the visual height and the self-confidence it gives you makes you less likely to get into one, so there's that benefit.

MDoW do you feel clumsier and slower now that you've lived with longer legs for a few years?

KrP1

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2015, 08:48:09 PM »

you can compensate   learning martial arts or boxing

KrP1

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2015, 08:59:57 PM »

probably every major surgery will make you a worse fighter

endomorphisme

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2015, 09:01:42 PM »

your punches won't have more power, and you will be less agile since your balance will be worse.
I think it also depends on the amount you gain, the less you lenghten, the more agility you will recover.

ForcedPuberty

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2015, 09:25:36 PM »

read the diary of Bruce.

4cm lengthened, he continued as a kickboxer.

he went to Serbia. he recovered very well, enough to fight.

Hello everyone. I haven't posted here for a while, so I'll just let you guys know how I've been. 3 years after my operation and I'm doing great. This might sound crazy, but I'm actually training Muay Thai (Kickboxing) 6 times a week and will be having my first fight in six months. Muay Thai is a sport where your shins are constantly in hard contact with other peoples bodys lol. I have had no pain in my legs at all, though you would think so training in a martial art that consists of shin kicking so much.

The only small problem I notice is when I jog, there is a weird feeling in the lower part of my tibia, but it is nothing major. Sometimes my balance isn't too good when sparring and hitting pads, but that could be due to something else and I'll let everyone know if this is still an issue when i go pro Tongue

Dr Mitkovics surgery worked out very well for me, and my bowed legs were straightened to the point of perfection.  In a way I feel bad for the guy, he was always good to me and my legs turned out really well. I think problems arose when people lengthened their legs longer than what was recommended. Dr Mitkovic being a nice guy, always tried to please his patients and the ones with unreasonable expectations suffered complications.

The reason I chose Muay Thai is exactly because it involves my shins, I'm the type of person who not only wants to make a recovery, but I want to spit in the face of any limitation that comes before me.

If anyone has any further questions just post here and ask.

Btw, I did not do any Pysio therapy, maybe I should have, and maybe everyone wont recover the way I did, so you should probably have some before undertaking a martial art, or at least do some major stretching everyday.

I have also come across something I think will help with recovery. Try and take some wheatgrass power with you when you do your LL, this stuff is a superfood and has so many vitamins, minerals and amino acids. I'm using the stuff now and have never felt better, I only imagine how it would have helped with LL.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 06:08:42 AM by Admin »
Nope, 20cm is just nope.

"because FP's the hero LL Forum deserves, but not the one is needs right now. So we'll hunt him, because he can take it. because hes not the hero. He's a silent gardian, watchfull protector. The Dark Knight."

PANDA:BEAR..

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2015, 09:36:50 PM »

It really depends on the individual .. And how fit they are.. But in general terms you will not have the same explosive power and blance as before  :o

endomorphisme

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2015, 10:10:32 PM »

read the diary of Bruce.

4cm lengthened, he continued as a kickboxer.

he went to Serbia. he recovered very well, enough to fight.

i believe he only did 4 cm?
Some want to gain 15 cm, and wish they will be stronger than before, that's not comparable.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 06:08:48 AM by Admin »

ForcedPuberty

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2015, 12:50:45 AM »

I thought it was 4cm also, I re-checked.

he actually ended up lengthening more.

from bruce:
I lengthened 5.3cm and did a 4mm pull back. So i am 4.9cm taller not including what i gained from the correction

I believe he stated that he gained 1.2 to 1.3cm from correction.

that would mean he lengthened 6cm in total.
Nope, 20cm is just nope.

"because FP's the hero LL Forum deserves, but not the one is needs right now. So we'll hunt him, because he can take it. because hes not the hero. He's a silent gardian, watchfull protector. The Dark Knight."

ForcedPuberty

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2015, 12:53:22 AM »

all this shows is that if you stick to the safe lengthening limits...........

people who have stuck to the safe lengthening limits have in their individual cases returned to kickboxing.
Nope, 20cm is just nope.

Uppland

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2015, 02:12:33 AM »

I thought it was 4cm also, I re-checked.

he actually ended up lengthening more.

I believe he stated that he gained 1.2 to 1.3cm from correction.

that would mean he lengthened 6cm in total.

That's nice, I am thinking about lengthening 7CM

ReadRothbard

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2015, 03:04:15 AM »

Same for me--6.5-7 cm. I might do 7.5 cm, but probably not.

Future space tycoon

goodlucktomylegs

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2015, 03:50:06 AM »

Why you increasing  lengthening amount from 5to 6 to 7cm?
Now i have reduced mygoal from 8 to 6 to5.5 cm (femur)?
It is risky when you across 6 cm

ReadRothbard

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2015, 06:32:46 AM »

You can do 8 cm safely on the femurs. Even Dr. Paley agrees with this.

Future space tycoon

endomorphisme

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2015, 06:50:45 AM »

I was set with 6 cm but I cut my goal to 4 cm, safer according to most doctors

ReadRothbard

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2015, 07:22:40 AM »

I was set with 6 cm but I cut my goal to 4 cm, safer according to most doctors

Of course it is safer. 2 cm is also safer.

Future space tycoon

endomorphisme

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2015, 07:46:54 AM »

Of course it is safer. 2 cm is also safer.

According to paley 5 cm is low risks, 8 cm and up is high risk
I m about 183 cm so 4 or 6 cm won't change anything, I will be above 185 cm btw which is decent for a young man

Uppland

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2015, 09:50:39 AM »

I still might only do 5CM, but I would like to get more height out of the surgery. It's a balance act between gain and safety, I made a thread asking if I should split it up but most agreed that it would be better to do it all in once. I'll ask my doctor of choise about it.

Also like endomorphisme said: 185-6CM is a decently respectable height for a man, 183-4 is alright but I would very much like to be taller than that.

Taller

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2015, 10:51:12 AM »

I'll be aiming for 7CM if I do LL, personally speaking. My rationale is very similar to endomorphisme's. I believe that lengthening slowly as possible, without consolidating, greatly decreased the risk of soft tissue and nerve damage, and leads to a much better recovery overall.

Uppland

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2015, 11:58:21 AM »

I'll be aiming for 7CM if I do LL, personally speaking. My rationale is very similar to endomorphisme's. I believe that lengthening slowly as possible, without consolidating, greatly decreased the risk of soft tissue and nerve damage, and leads to a much better recovery overall.

Fair enough but do doctors not already advice the slowest possible lengthening speed or is this something that the patient will have to push for?

Since you, endomorphisme and me are a quite a bit taller than the average LL patient perhaps 7CM shouldn't be much harder than someone shorter doing only 6.

flute

• Visitor
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2015, 06:46:16 PM »

To whom who went to Serbia, where did you stay ?

Thank you for you help

mini_me

• Visitor
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2015, 08:46:42 PM »

u can kick anyone's azz if u shoot them with a taser 1st.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up