Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Femur Angle & Premature Arthritis  (Read 5001 times)

YellowSpike

Femur Angle & Premature Arthritis
« on: February 26, 2015, 07:10:43 PM »

Right, even if you're off by 5mm or so I'm sure you can gain that in your spine somehow. It woudn't surprise me if it became possible/was discovered that one could grow 1 or 2CM through supplementation, exercise, some kind of method or a combination of these things.

Maybe in the coming years something like that will happen.

Thanks to the stupid femur angle thing, I have a feeling I'm somewhere between 5'7.5" and 5'7.75" (both of which aren't too bad, and definitely better than the hell-hole of 5.5.3"). And I think I'm 5'8" in the morning. I'm fairly confident yoga and gluco would get me to where I'd like to be, because another LL just isn't in the cards for me. I would never have the money or time to do it, ever. I'm not young (in my early 30s) like many of you, and to prioritize my career, buying property, and finding a good woman to be my wife! But I gotta get my ass back first lol

YellowSpike

Re: Femur Angle & Premature Arthritis
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 08:16:42 PM »

Hi Yellowspike!
I hope you're doing fine. Everything will be alright for you in the end, so keep your head up!  :D
I am doing internal femurs right now. My doctor and me have planned 6-7 cm, so that I can go from 163.5 to 170. Since I am a woman, do you think that, because of the "femur angle thing", I should lengthen up to 8 cm to have a real gain of 6.5 cm?
What did your doctor say about this? Did Guichet say from the beginning that you would only get 5 cm instead of 7 cm due to the "femur angle thing"?
I am looking forward to hearing from you and from everyone who has a clue about this.
Best wishes

I'll ask him about this. I don't think it would throw us off by 2cm, that seems like a lot. I think more like .5cm - 1 cm is more like it.

I know with externals compression is more likely, and you can lose like 1 or 2cm. I'm lead to believe I will only lose at maximum 2mm due to compression, but my doctor said that "after 6cm, you don't lose anything." I don't know why this is, but that's what he said.

The only other thing I wonder is if correcting my bowlegs may have "cancelled out" the femur angle loss thing.

ItsMyLife

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 08:20:02 PM »

Hi Yellowspike!
I hope you're doing fine. Everything will be alright for you in the end, so keep your head up!  :D
I am doing internal femurs right now. My doctor and me have planned 6-7 cm, so that I can go from 163.5 to 170. Since I am a woman, do you think that, because of the "femur angle thing", I should lengthen up to 8 cm to have a real gain of 6.5 cm?
What did your doctor say about this? Did Guichet say from the beginning that you would only get 5 cm instead of 7 cm due to the "femur angle thing"?
I am looking forward to hearing from you and from everyone who has a clue about this.
Best wishes

Have you asked your doctor?

YellowSpike

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 08:34:06 PM »

Have you asked your doctor?

I did today and I'll let you guys know what he says. He's never mentioned this to me in the past, only the 2mm possible compression loss (but apparently, after 6cm, we don't have risk for compression - not sure why).

Compression happens more with externals as opposed to internals.

YellowSpike

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 08:46:42 PM »

Now I'm very busy -I'm working from home-, but I will ask him when I have finished the paperwork I'm doing.

Let us know what he says! I'll let you guys know what my doctor says as well as soon as he responds to me.

ItsMyLife

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 08:53:04 PM »

Now I'm very busy -I'm working from home-, but I will ask him when I have finished the paperwork I'm doing.

Finished your lengthening phase?

YellowSpike

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 08:53:11 PM »

Perhaps we should open a new thread about this question. I can't do it right now. If one of you could do it, it would be great. If not, I will do it in a few days...  :-X

Good idea. When I hear back from my doctor, I'll do it in the LL discussion section.

YellowSpike

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 09:49:44 PM »

I know this is still off-topic, but regarding the femur angle thing...I just re-read ShyShy's diary (he was my inspiration to go to Dr. Guichet, and kinda like my personal LL idol lol), and he said he knows about the femur angle thing, but yet, from being measured at night, it appears that he gained all of what he lengthened in his femurs (+/- a few mm, he says). So maybe the femur angle thing isn't as big an issue as we might think? I'm thinking maybe .5cm-1cm tops is what we'd have to subtract for the femur angle thing, but in his case, he claims he gained it all. Just some food for thought.

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 09:54:07 PM »

Maybe not much of an issue in terms of height gain, but internal femurs still concern me because it lengthens along the anatomical axis causing a shift in the mechanical axis (around 1 mm for every cm lengthened) and puts more load on one side of the knee. Apparently it can potentially lead to premature arthritis of the knee joints.
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

YellowSpike

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 09:58:20 PM »

Maybe not much of an issue in terms of height gain, but internal femurs still concern me because it lengthens along the anatomical axis causing a shift in the mechanical axis (around 1 mm for every cm lengthened) and puts more load on one side of the knee. Apparently it can potentially lead to premature arthritis of the knee joints.

Yeah I can see that. I used to be bow-legged before the surgery, now I'm not. And I have some pain on my right knee when I stand up, but I'm told that this will resolve.

Whatever - this surgery carries risks no matter what method you do (internal/external, femurs/tibas, etc.). They all have their plusses and minuses. But being 166cm was just...unacceptable to me.

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2015, 10:01:36 PM »

Yeah I can see that. I used to be bow-legged before the surgery, now I'm not. And I have some pain on my right knee when I stand up, but I'm told that this will resolve.

Whatever - this surgery carries risks no matter what method you do (internal/external, femurs/tibas, etc.). They all have their plusses and minuses. But being 166cm was just...unacceptable to me.

Yeah there's that tradeoff. I'm guessing if the premature arthritis does happen there will be ways to minimize discomfort a lot easier than the mental frustration of people constantly giving you a hard time for being 166 cm.
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

Uppland

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2015, 10:14:07 PM »

I am worried about this since an internal femur method is my first choise. Is there anything that can be done before or during the process that might help mitigate the stress?

YellowSpike

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2015, 10:50:49 PM »

Dr. Guichet was very forthcoming with the risks of internal femur LL, but he never mentioned early arthritis as a possibility. The knee pain I have had has been due to a contracture on my right knee (something to do with the patella, I believe), and my left knee was just super tight (and I've noticed it's been improving, even as I continue to do a small amount of clicking).

Overdozer

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2015, 09:21:28 PM »

Well, mechanical axis depend on variety of things like hip width, femur length and even your leg position. I mean, the whole 'mechanical/anatomic axis' thing is measured when you're standing with your knees and feet closed - who the hell stands or walks like this anyways? Someone who has longer legs but also thinner hip bones, should also have the same axis as someone who lengthened their femurs. I think there's nothing to worry about to be honest.
Pre-surgery - 167 cm, Post-surgery - 181 cm
Final arm span - 177 cm, Sitting height - 90 cm

Lengthened 7.5 cm in tibias and femurs and 3.5 cm in each humerus. Surgeries performed all external by Dr. Kulesh, in Saint-Petersburg, Russia - http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=1671.0

tallerbetter

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2015, 11:51:20 PM »

Well, mechanical axis depend on variety of things like hip width, femur length and even your leg position. I mean, the whole 'mechanical/anatomic axis' thing is measured when you're standing with your knees and feet closed - who the hell stands or walks like this anyways? Someone who has longer legs but also thinner hip bones, should also have the same axis as someone who lengthened their femurs. I think there's nothing to worry about to be honest.

good observation

YellowSpike

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2015, 01:28:49 PM »

Hi, Yellow! Has he finally answered your questions? :D

Hey there!

Yes, he did. He basically said that (and this is just for the Gnail), it's actually slightly under 15 clicks per 1mm...so patients gain a bit more height than what they click. So, while it's true that you sometimes may lose up to 2mm due to compression, after clicking to around 6cm, you essentially don't lose anything, because the "bonus height" you gain from it not being exactly 15 clicks per mm (it's a bit less, like 14.7 I'm guessing) makes up for it after this point.

With regards to the femur angle - he didn't get into this too much, but insisted that what we click on the nail is what we gain for our stature. I know from talking with ShyShy that he gained all of what he clicked in his femurs. I've been measured several times (in the evening, after being hunched over my computer working all day) this week, and I always came in at just over 5'8", once as much as 5'8.25" or something like that. And I still have significant enough duckass that I'm wondering if that's hiding another .5cm-1cm or something.

I'm still dying to know if correcting duckass might get me some more visual/total height in the end. I know Disobedient and Sweatpants said that fixing their duckass didn't change their height much...but my duckass is still pretty obvious, so I think I may be different. We'll see. My back is still definitely curved even when I make all the effort to stand up "straight."

Pages: [1]   Go Up