Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is a full recovery possible?  (Read 1015 times)

gerrard

• Visitor
Is a full recovery possible?
« on: February 25, 2015, 10:48:52 AM »

Hi everyone,

This is to start discussion about what I think is the first and most important part of the consideration for doing cosmetic LL.

What are the chances of full recovery ie returning to pre-operative state or better after doing LL? Assuming pure external fixator or LON on tibia method is chosen, what are the recovery chances?

One study I have found on this (link below), has only about half the subjects coming out with an "Excellent" result. No where have I found this highlighted enough. I feel considering the risk metrics for trauma patients in the case of cosmetic patients is not correct. We should be looking at a different risk metric which considers success to mean a return to pre-operative physical ability for cosmetic patients and not the mere ability to walk without limp (which would be success for trauma cases).
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs11999-014-3782-8

To clarify again, what I am interested in knowing is not how many total complications there were, but how many chronic effects there were after limb lengthening was done and that are not fully rectifiable.
Examples:
- nerve damage
- reduced motor function
- pain and stiffness from internal trauma 
- Joint pain
- permanent muscle atrophy;reduced agility;
- deep infection
etc, etc, etc.

Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up