Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: when does ballerina come? at 5 cm tibia ex-fix and still fine (pics)  (Read 3974 times)

ItsMyLife

Here Is my dorsiflexion pics.. I am at about 5 cm and I don't see ballerina feet coming?
http://tinypic.com/r/14c8upl/8
http://tinypic.com/r/116rjvb/8
people (and a doctor in fact) are saying that ballerina WILL happen etc etc at 5 cm but I don't think its coming anytime soon? or is it a sudden striker :O

anyone had late ballerina?? like at 7cm?
I might abort lengthening once I develop severe ballerina as I really need to walk so I can work..

anyway RGkey hasn't had ballerina at all throughout 9 cm.. but close to it..

based on my angle when do you think ballerina will strike? I am lengthening at 0.5/0.75 alternate days... I really need to walk .. I cannot land in crimsontide's situation....

I am not walking much (maybe 15-30 mins daily) or standing much... not stretching much either.. so I think if it is coming I can step up my efforts..

Does ballerina come at 6 cm?

KrP1

Re: when does ballerina come? at 5 cm tibia ex-fix and still fine (pics)
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 07:28:40 PM »

i think is something that happens at different lenghts on each person, it depends on your flexibility and your workout during lengthening to stretch the muscles

ItsMyLife

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 07:32:21 PM »

i think is something that happens at different lenghts on each person, it depends on your flexability and your workout during lengthening to stretch the muscles

I do quite a lot of sports.... im not a pro athlete but I can say I do a lot of sports and games..
I did yoga a few years back and the teacher said I am very very flexible... bagirov saw my legs at 2 cm and said I was the first patient who could bend so much...
so.. it might not affect me? I mean, im really lazy now..... I walk and stand for half an hour or less, I stretch maybe a few times a day... and I don't do PT...
but I must admit that I have knee contracture (which goes away after some standing/walking)

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 07:33:24 PM »

It can appear one day out of nowhere. It did with me. You should also stand with your back against the wall for as long as you can each day. You may also be able to keep your heels to the ground when sitting but still have equinus while standing up, so it can easily sneak up on you.
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

ItsMyLife

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 07:36:59 PM »

It can appear one day out of nowhere. It did with me. You should also stand with your back against the wall for as long as you can each day. You may also be able to keep your heels to the ground when sitting but still have equinus while standing up, so it can easily sneak up on you.

wow sudden striker.. yea I thought so... fine I wont be lazy anymore. thanks for the suggestion
I can stand with my back against the wall... but ive a related question. when I walk, my stride is hunched.. (I can straighten my body after the end of each stride with my both hands pressed against the walker. if I don't hold the walker I am slouched really bad).. looks like duck ass..? I mean why does it happen? personally I thnk it is weak back muscles??
this never happened to me in my life..

looks like this

<--Head--------->
                       Torso
                         |
                         |
                        Feet

I mean I can stand straight. without ballerina... but. with help of walker.. this slouch thing is worrying me (of course its not 90 degrees, it is more of 130 degrees? I don't know)

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 08:41:50 PM »

That's the case with me, though it's getting better. It could just be a balance issue geting used to the new ratio and the muscles being weaker, but it can also be muscle hyperextension according to my local ortho.
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

ItsMyLife

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 08:47:09 PM »

That's the case with me, though it's getting better. It could just be a balance issue geting used to the new ratio and the muscles being weaker, but it can also be muscle hyperextension according to my local ortho.

which muscle??
my local ortho says nothing wrong with my legs and he doesn't know what caused it... not a very intelligent answer..
im not really happy with him as he was tinkering my frames last week a little  and doing so not very inteligently(or rather, pretending to tighten some useless bolts - he tightened/checked the thing used to put the footholder, oh my god)...
how does it get better? it just remains the same.... (am still lengthening) - no such issues at the first 2 cm or so..
did it get better once you stop lengthening?

Overdozer

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 09:09:50 PM »

he tightened/checked the thing used to put the footholder, oh my god
Lol. Well he couldn't know.

I think the term 'ballerina feet' is misleading. It would be more approtiate to talk about ankle ROM (Range of motion), because you can still have no ballerina feet and yet your ROM (dorsiflexion) could be limited severely. Ballerina feet is just an extreme cause of ROM limitation.

To answer your question: it depends on the person and several factors like: your ROM before the surgery, soft tissue response to stretching, lengthening rate, PT intensity... Though you can always expect at least some dorsiflexion limitation. And looking at your pictures, it seems that your soft tissues are already pretty tight.
Pre-surgery - 167 cm, Post-surgery - 181 cm
Final arm span - 177 cm, Sitting height - 90 cm

Lengthened 7.5 cm in tibias and femurs and 3.5 cm in each humerus. Surgeries performed all external by Dr. Kulesh, in Saint-Petersburg, Russia - http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=1671.0

ItsMyLife

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2015, 09:21:41 PM »

haha, I am just worried about ballerina. not really concerned about ankle ROM. as you lose ROM to a great degree, then you get ballerina. I am only concerned about dorsiflexion because if you dorsiflexion is good, ballerina is far far away.

I thought my ankle ROM isn't that bad? why do you say that my tissues are tight? are they?  I know you have slightly more dorsiflexion with knees bent.

before dorsiflexion:http://tinypic.com/r/23sumvq/8
after:http://tinypic.com/r/2py97j9/8
I put the cardboard to see the angle clearly

what's the normal angle for knees-bent dorsiflexion? it appears I have about 20 degrees; knees straight about 10-15 degrees

Overdozer

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2015, 09:42:27 PM »

Well your angle is barely over 0 degrees. It's hard to notice functional limitions of it right now, but you will, when you start walking normally. You should be able to stretch it though. I recommend getting an ankle splint like this:

Which you can wear after removing the fixators. It should assist you with stretching.
Pre-surgery - 167 cm, Post-surgery - 181 cm
Final arm span - 177 cm, Sitting height - 90 cm

Lengthened 7.5 cm in tibias and femurs and 3.5 cm in each humerus. Surgeries performed all external by Dr. Kulesh, in Saint-Petersburg, Russia - http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=1671.0

ItsMyLife

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2015, 10:38:47 PM »

Huh.. Do you mean the angle between the cardboard box and my feet? isn't it 20 degrees??
or what angle are you talking about? did you do maths...? (unless we are talking about a different angle)
https://yiss-anatomy2010-11.wikispaces.com/file/view/Dorsiflexion.Plantarflexion.jpg/260729578/Dorsiflexion.Plantarflexion.jpg

See the angle I drew, how can it be zero degrees?:  http://tinypic.com/r/sb1ngw/8

I did not use a protractor, but it is about 20 degrees - 30 degrees
Pages: [1]   Go Up