Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Longer bone length means easier/better recovery(and more can be lengthened?)  (Read 1977 times)

ItsMyLife

I did my tibia in Russia and at 4.5 cm I am hardly experiencing any problems. Ballerina, knee contractures, etc. All these problems plagued many people when they are at 5 cm. I don't see myself encountering the same problems any time soon (my dorsiflexion is still 10-15 degrees most of the time).

Could this be because my bone length as measured by MRI is the average American bone length? I am 174 cm (2 cm lower than the average American) but my tibia length is the same as the average American.

Considering that most people who do LL have lower than average heights, would it be an indicator of success/less troubles and complications when lengthening (and post-lengthening), if you have longer bone length?

For instance, Korean and Chinese surgeons recommend to lengthen 15-20% of original bone length.

In other words, could a longer bone length mean that your soft tissues are more amenable to stretching and thus you can lengthen a greater absolute figure. Eg, someone who is 150 cm( and much shorter tibia) can probably encounter problems at 4 cm (I read a Kurgan story), but someone with an average height (and thus longer tibia) can probably encounter problems at only 6 cm, or more.

Even below 4 cm, many are bed bound, cannot walk well, and have all sorts of nerve issues, etc. I am at 4.5 cm and I am amazed I am actually doing well. I am doing better, in fact, than when I was 3 cm.

Outgrown

• "Long enough to touch the ground" -Abraham Lincoln

Your body is well complemented to the surgery, granting your results. Who knows, you might face problems later on, but make the most of it.
5"6 and proud

Puertoricanwasp123

In theory it is a yes however I read of this midget girl below 4 ft who grew more than an entire foot worth of surgery so you should be fine.

Uppland

Yes it's only logical, amount of lenghtening should be thought of in terms of percentage rather than absolute numbers. Since I am tall for an LL patient I might have an easier time lenghtening 6CM than someone shorter than me for example.

Puertoricanwasp123

Yes it's only logical, amount of lenghtening should be thought of in terms of percentage rather than absolute numbers. Since I am tall for an LL patient I might have an easier time lenghtening 6CM than someone shorter than me for example.

There must be a legit reason many Doctors have a limit written in stone so we don't know with strong certainty but it's a good guess.

Uppland

There must be a legit reason many Doctors have a limit written in stone so we don't know with strong certainty but it's a good guess.

Yes you're right, I'm no expert but to me the logic seems sound. I guess you'll have to ask your doctor to be certain though.

Puertoricanwasp123

Yes you're right, I'm no expert but to me the logic seems sound. I guess you'll have to ask your doctor to be certain though.

Maybe Monegal can answer that.

ItsMyLife

I guess height is one indicator (or rather, to be PRECISE. the bone length) and the other is the soft tissue elasticity. Maybe other factors like nerve growth and position (some studies say nerve problems are due to entrapment and not stretch injuries)
Pages: [1]   Go Up