Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: how possible is it to add a nail, to ex-fix, if i started out as pure ex-fix?  (Read 4167 times)

ItsMyLife

doing my tibias at dr bagirov. im using pure ex-fix. how possible is it to add a nail after I am done lengthening...?

I am asking to keep my options open. the ex-fix is quite comfortable. its just the lengthening its so painful sometimes, when I lengthen and try to stretch.

I know this might probably harm my athletic abilities and dr bagirov advises against it but I am just seeing all options..

I might be developing anxiety issues after withdrawing from pregabalin ( I never had psychiatric issues).

If this is impossible I might just see a psychiatrist for short-term medication (or continue pregabalin at three times a day 75 mg), until the lengthening process stops or the frames are removed..... cos I think these frames are really bad for your psychological well-being..

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil

During my lengthening Dr Parihar told me I could always choose to insert the nail at a later date, so you should be able to as well.
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

Blackhawk

I was against external only until I read a lot if comments about knee pain but mostly when I read RGKEY's diary.

I think since he had a somewhat normal life made a big difference. He was able to walk somewhat normal and he could wear pants that covered his frames.  He went out and spent his time doing something rather than sitting in bed.

Can you do this or is being in frames that difficult?

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member

It's 100% possible.  In fact it has its own LL acronym, LATN (lengthening and then nailing).

ItsMyLife

I was against external only until I read a lot if comments about knee pain but mostly when I read RGKEY's diary.

I think since he had a somewhat normal life made a big difference. He was able to walk somewhat normal and he could wear pants that covered his frames.  He went out and spent his time doing something rather than sitting in bed.

Can you do this or is being in frames that difficult?

hi actually being in my frames is so much easier (they are less bulky than dr barinov's)

pain is actually from lengthening.. not the frames

but the visual sight of it.... it feels like I feel being locked up when I get anxious... but I don't get anxious now much since I am tapering down my pregabalin

when I stopped pregabalin cold turkey I got really anxious about the frames......

its all in the mind..

ur right, the best thing to do is to keep the frames yeah? only thing Is almost no sex life (though some would be ok with you in frames just say its a bad motor accident).

are the frames causing my knee contracture issues in the morning, or the amount of lengthening? You can get nailed and have knee contracture right?

ItsMyLife

It's 100% possible.  In fact it has its own LL acronym, LATN (lengthening and then nailing).

yea but I thought LATN is when your surgeon creates  a cavity during the first surgery or otherwise does something to make LATN Possible?

in other words, it is only an option if you told him at ur first surgery?

Or am I wrong

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member

yea but I thought LATN is when your surgeon creates  a cavity during the first surgery or otherwise does something to make LATN Possible?

in other words, it is only an option if you told him at ur first surgery?

Or am I wrong

You are wrong.  LATN is still an option for you.  I know someone who did it that way.

ItsMyLife

You are wrong.  LATN is still an option for you.  I know someone who did it that way.

who? crimson?

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member

Kelly from Serbia.  He started out external-only then decided he wanted to leave early.

ItsMyLife

Kelly from Serbia.  He started out external-only then decided he wanted to leave early.

THANKS! its relaly good and comforting to know that this option is always open.

However, I heard that internal nails only come up to 6 cm? So once I turn past 6cm I can't?

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member

THANKS! its relaly good and comforting to know that this option is always open.

However, I heard that internal nails only come up to 6 cm? So once I turn past 6cm I can't?

No way.  They come as long as you need them to be.

jfk

Dr. Barinov offered me also to put a nail in. But he said that it is possible that I would lose about 1 cm by inserting a nail after lengthening (LATN). When I heard that the nail was not an option anymore :)

There is one guy here that was operated today and wants to do LATN and two guys right now who are doing LON with him...

ItsMyLife

No way.  They come as long as you need them to be.

oh that was for some internal distraction device :)

ItsMyLife

Dr. Barinov offered me also to put a nail in. But he said that it is possible that I would lose about 1 cm by inserting a nail after lengthening (LATN). When I heard that the nail was not an option anymore :)

There is one guy here that was operated today and wants to do LATN and two guys right now who are doing LON with him...

why would you lose 1 cm?

jfk

why would you lose 1 cm?

I have no idea. I will ask him when I see him again. Is there anyone who has done LATN and knows about this?

jfk

why would you lose 1 cm?

I asked him and he said before the nail can be inserted the frame will be removed. The frame holds everything in place and when it is removed there can be a compression. The pins (and the columns) are not keeping the bones apart so that because of the tension of the muscles there is a chance of losing up to 1 cm.
Pages: [1]   Go Up