Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Delayed bone healing  (Read 8341 times)

Maverick

• Visitor
Delayed bone healing
« on: January 24, 2015, 06:07:52 PM »

Hi guys and girls. .I am currently 6.5 months into my tibia lengthening procedure. my left leg is healing OK but my right is showing no signs of improving although it has made partial union. I am told that if it makes no improvement in the next 3 weeks that I will need a bone graft taken from my illiac crest. This is a huge concern to me and although the doctor here is old school I was wondering wether anyone knew or have experienced the same and found a good method to speed up the bone healing process. I have heard HGH (growth hormone) helps. Also BMP (bone morphogenetic proteins).
Could someone please guide me with some useful advice? would be really appreciated. Thanks :)

Re: Delayed bone healing
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 06:30:59 PM »

What helped me the most was pressure. Just walk as much as you can, pressure stimulates bone growth. Also if you have an external fix. ask your doc if he can loosen the pins so more weight is put on the bone. That's at least what I did. It's really simple, no rocket science  ;D

Dr Monegal

• Account Deactivated
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 06:55:27 PM »

Hi there

Forsteo (teriparatide) works very well in case of delayed callus formation.
Other helpfull things could be magnet therapy at Least 2 h per day.

In case non invasive does not work bone grafting might be Needed.

Best regards
Account Deactivated "I am no longer participating in here."

paco1

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 07:17:24 PM »

Hi maverics,
how much do you lengthening your tibias?
cheers paco.

Maverick

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 09:21:35 PM »

Hi 123. I think that is a good suggestion as i know that the device is very strong and limits micro stimulation.

Maverick

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 09:29:33 PM »

Hi paco I have done 6cm. I am walking without crutches but just cant seem to get this right leg healing.

Thanks for the reply doctor, I have just started using magnet and lazer theray combined so hopefully that helps. My doctor is against anything unatural although it seems that forteo has some good evidence. Could you please answer these questions on this:
1) what is the cost of forteo?
2) how is it administered and used?

Its something I am interested in. Where are you based and is it something you use?

Maverick

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 07:47:16 AM »

Hi Musicmaker. have you been prescribed this due to delayed healing?. Also I have electro magentic therapy for 1 hour per day. This is costing me 20 euros per hour. how much do you pay in spain?. I actualy have a family member in spain with potential accomodation. :)

Maverick

• Visitor
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 07:49:34 AM »

Also I have read studies on growth hormone and it seems very effective. Is there anyone out there that has been administerd this and know of any results/side effects etc

Disobedient

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 04:36:13 PM »

Hi there

Forsteo (teriparatide) works very well in case of delayed callus formation.
Other helpfull things could be magnet therapy at Least 2 h per day.

In case non invasive does not work bone grafting might be Needed.

Best regards

I think that may help too,  one of the dr salameh's patient used that, and she said there were an improvement ..  as far from what I remember she had bone marrow injection and so but it didn't work for her but with Forsteo  she notice some improvement ..
you'll find here diary in this fourm

Maverick

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 07:24:31 PM »

I am currenty in Serbia which where I am staying until the frames are removed. i have electro magnetic therapy combined with lazer therapy where a physician visits me. Is there a possibility for you to send me a link or maybe a photo of the device as I am unsure what just magnetic therapy is?
Thanks

Maverick

• Visitor
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 07:26:27 PM »

Hi Diso. So it seems that many doctors prescribe this. Its just my doctor thinks none of this stuff works and its all a money making scam. would  be great to hear from others who have had good results with it. Diso how are you now?

emanuel

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 08:50:57 PM »

I have done 6cm. I am walking without crutches but just cant seem to get this right leg healing.

Do you have titanium nails in your legs?

I absolutely wouldn't advise you to start walking longer distances without crutches, when you don't have a bone bridge yet (or even when you have a very weak bone bridge).
You can hurt yourself badly, I know what I am talking about ...
Did internal femurs with Dr. Jamal in 2013 and went from 1,65 to 1,72.

Maverick

• Visitor
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2015, 09:32:57 PM »

Hi there emanuel. No i have external monorail fixator. I can walk up to 2 hours with no pain whatsover. its strange. I actual have partial union on right maybe 1/3 but left has made almost complete union throughout. what happened with you and long distance walking?

Dr Monegal

• Account Deactivated
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2015, 11:53:29 PM »

Hi to all of you.

Every doctor deserves my respect and their opinions as well.
I have had good results when using teriparatide treating non union or delay of consolidation in the past. I do not think this is scam (mainly as doctors do not get any profit by the use of it)
You can check some scientific outcome by googleing non union + teriparatide.

Please check some links

http://www.biomedcentral.com/content/pdf/1756-0500-7-317.pdf
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/23351873/
http://www.mdpi.com/1996-1944/4/6/1117/pdf
http://m.rheumatology.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2012/12/13/rheumatology.kes319.full

Just some publications. I hope this can be helpful to you guys

Best regards

Account Deactivated "I am no longer participating in here."

Maverick

• Visitor
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2015, 06:38:01 AM »

Hello doctor.
Thanks for the reply. I have a sent a message to your inbox although I am not so sure if it's sent. Please let me know if you have recieved it?
Thanks

ItsMyLife

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2015, 07:41:15 PM »

Yes, it is something he uses, because I am his patient and I have been prescribed both magnet therapy and Forsteo. I have just started magnet therapy (2h 15 min per day to begin with, and 5 h from next week). As far as Forsteo is concerned, I am still waiting for the package to arrive and will start using it from Monday or Tuesday. There are different presentations, but I will be taking the daily dose, available in a 2.4 mL prefilled delivery device for subcutaneous injection over 28 days. This drug is expensive: 405,38 € (per 28 days). In Spain, where we live, you can get it a little bit cheaper thanks to the social security system, but it's still expensive. I hope this information proves useful to you, Maverick. We are here should you require any further assistance.

why do you use "we"? are u part of the clinic? anyway, forsteo can cause sarcoma.

Time4LL

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2015, 09:14:29 PM »

Do you have titanium nails in your legs?

I absolutely wouldn't advise you to start walking longer distances without crutches, when you don't have a bone bridge yet (or even when you have a very weak bone bridge).
You can hurt yourself badly, I know what I am talking about ...

Emanuel,

Can you explain how you would injure yourself badly. How do you know if you have a week bone bridge? Thanks!

ItsMyLife

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2015, 09:27:52 PM »

So to answer your questions,
1) why do you use "we"? are u part of the clinic?
Because we were both on this thread talking to Maverick, him as a doctor, and me as a patient. You are overinterpreting my words.
2) anyway, forsteo can cause sarcoma.
Nice point, my friend! You’re always complaining about negative comments posted in the forum which put patients down, and now you’re doing the same thing you criticize! Do you want to put me down? Unfortunately for you, I was already aware of the link between forsteo and osteosarcoma… in rats. Anyway, I will only take forsteo only for a month.

sry I did not know u were taking it. just wanted to caution others as I have spoken with my ortho about this. this drug is used to treat osteoarthritic patients usualy and he doesn't recommend it for normal healing patients. sarcoma risk if I am not wrong is only after 2 years. you will be fine. did not mean to attack you. sorry for the misunderstanding.

just to add in korea they are using stem cell injections but I am not aware of any studies to show that it helps..

hydroxyapatite supplements like osteoregenon might help (I saw a study)

ItsMyLife

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2015, 05:00:45 AM »

OK. You're excused.  ;)

u're welcome, do update us if the forsteo actually worked for you (ie, dr thinks that you consolidate faster than most patients without forsteo) :)

ItsMyLife

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2015, 01:49:23 AM »

Today I had X-rays done. Forsteo is working very well in my case. :D

Thank you. My country has it too. Are the subQ injections painful? Thanks!!
Cos some drugs (eg antibiotics ) sting when you inject it and for some time later!

also, did you do ultrasound? (there are some ultraosound device that's clinically proven to work. Exogen4000+)

YellowSpike

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2015, 02:34:21 AM »

Does slowing the rate of lengthening down to a very small amount (like .33mm per day) help with a better transition from lengthening to consolidation? I took a few days off from clicking, but have decided to click for 2-3 more days to get to 6.85cm+. But then I'm done for good, because I need to get back into the office in mid-March. I'd love to be off crutches by then, but I'm not holding my breath for that to happen.

Would you guys recommend lowering the crutches so, when you walk, you're starting to rely more on your legs as opposed to the crutches (even though you still have the crutches for support)? Where I live, it's very icy and cold, so getting outside isn't always an option. Plus, I now work from home 8-6pm every day. I'll try to walk/weight bear around my house as much as I can in the meantime.
Pages: [1]   Go Up