Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: An interesting study on cosmetic leg lengthening patients and recovery  (Read 4428 times)

ReadRothbard

http://m.bjj.boneandjoint.org.uk/content/87-B/10/1402.full

This study followed approximately fifty or so cosmetic bilateral tibia ll patients, and there were a few things that I found surprising. First, the average lengthening was 7 cm, which was determined to be safe for patients with a starting height of 159 cm. That is interesting, considering I've heard plenty if times that the tibial safe limit is 6-6.5 cm. Another surprising tidbit is that all of the patients were amateur athletes, and ALL patients, minus one whom refused Achilles' tendon lengthening. I quote: "All patients resumed fully their previous sporting activities, with the exception of the patient who refused lengthening of tendo Achillis."

Now, the real kicker is this: 18 of the fifty patients lengthened 8 cm or more--all the way up to four who did 11 cm--and even they recovered enough to pursue sports. That is huge news that could change our understanding of tibial safe limits.

What do you guys think of the study?
“If you're afraid - don't do it, - if you're doing it - don't be afraid!” ― Genghis Khan

172 cm in the morning (67.8"); 170 cm (67”) at night; Sitting Height: 96 cm (37.8”); Goal: 184.5 cm (6'0.7"); Ultimate Goal: 192 cm (6’3.5) morning height, 190 cm (6’3) “night” height
Future space tycoon

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

crimsontide

Re: An interesting study on cosmetic leg lengthening patients and recovery
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 11:49:27 PM »

glad this shows that tendo achilles lengthening is needed sometimes...

but yes,  i'm not surprised by this...  the overwhelming odds are that you'll be ok after lengthening

Outgrown

• "Long enough to touch the ground" -Abraham Lincoln
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 11:51:46 PM »

Seeing how the institute is highly experienced in many areas other than cll, it's no surprise to see that their patients are post op success regardless of length..
5"6 and proud

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 11:58:33 PM »

I'm surprised that it says they used hydrogen peroxide for pin site cleaning. Peroxide harms healthy tissue as well and both my surgeon in India and my local orthopedist said they don't like to use it for that reason.
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

ForcedPuberty

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 06:52:24 AM »

Between 1985 and 2001, of a total of 136 individuals seeking cosmetic leg lengthening, 54 (32 men and 22 women) with constitutional short stature were selected
Patients eligible for the procedure should be carefully selected

what was the selection criteria? why did they ignore 82 people from the study? im not saying it proves anything. but it has to be answered.

(35.2%), bilateral lengthening of the tendo Achillis was necessary for an equinus deformity which developed during distraction. One patient refused this operation.

how much of a reduction in athletic function happens after Achilles lengthening. how much athletic function can be regained after Achilles lengthening.

even sweden has returned to sports. the study merely said that the participants returned to sports.

The mean follow-up was 6.25 years

while it is good to see long term recovery, we have no idea how much pain these people went through for that 6 years when recovering. some people might not want to sacrifice 6 years of their life.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 07:27:17 AM by ForcedPuberty »
Nope, 20cm is just nope.

"because FP's the hero LL Forum deserves, but not the one is needs right now. So we'll hunt him, because he can take it. because hes not the hero. He's a silent gardian, watchfull protector. The Dark Knight."

ForcedPuberty

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 07:19:15 AM »

however it is a good find and states that pre LL life is able to be returned to.

Nope, 20cm is just nope.

"because FP's the hero LL Forum deserves, but not the one is needs right now. So we'll hunt him, because he can take it. because hes not the hero. He's a silent gardian, watchfull protector. The Dark Knight."

ItsMyLife

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 08:05:46 AM »

I'm surprised that it says they used hydrogen peroxide for pin site cleaning. Peroxide harms healthy tissue as well and both my surgeon in India and my local orthopedist said they don't like to use it for that reason.

most of them impedes wound healing...

peroxde is regularly used togt with iodine and chlorhexidine.. they all inhibit healing to a degree (studies show, similar degrees)

ItsMyLife

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2015, 08:06:28 AM »

glad this shows that tendo achilles lengthening is needed sometimes...

but yes,  i'm not surprised by this...  the overwhelming odds are that you'll be ok after lengthening

this is what i needed to hear thanks

Uppland

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2015, 09:52:16 AM »

Good read but didn't expand much on what "resumed fully their sporting abilities" actually meant. Glad forcedpuberty is playing the devils advocate here but these kind of reports are always nice to see.

Still not gonna lenghten more than 7CM because I would rather be safe than sorry.

ReadRothbard

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2015, 07:36:34 PM »

I understand that. I'm not saying anyone should go ahead and lengthen 11 cm on their tibias, even if that might be possible.
“If you're afraid - don't do it, - if you're doing it - don't be afraid!” ― Genghis Khan

172 cm in the morning (67.8"); 170 cm (67”) at night; Sitting Height: 96 cm (37.8”); Goal: 184.5 cm (6'0.7"); Ultimate Goal: 192 cm (6’3.5) morning height, 190 cm (6’3) “night” height
Future space tycoon

Uppland

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2015, 10:15:49 PM »

I think people have done it but it didn't turn out very well. Do you have something resembling a plan Redrothbrand, like how much are you aiming for?

ReadRothbard

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2015, 12:59:54 AM »

Yes. First, I'd like to do about 7-7.5 cm on my tibias. However, I might go up to 8 cm depending on how I'm doing during the lengthening process. I plan on doing tibias first, as long femurs can impair one's ability to squat a lot of weight (I'm a powerlifter). Then, after a few years, I plan in doing internal femurs with either Dr. Guichet, Dr. Paley, Dr. Monegal, or even Dr. Ashberg. Hopefully I can get all these surgeries done before I'm 22 or so.

Future space tycoon
Pages: [1]   Go Up