Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Limb Lengthening and the Big three powerlifting lifts!  (Read 5710 times)

ReadRothbard

Limb Lengthening and the Big three powerlifting lifts!
« on: December 15, 2014, 07:07:10 PM »

Ok, this is an extremely important question for. It is the deciding factor on whether I will ever get ll. What effects will leg lengthening have on my lifts? Will my legs be permanently weakened from the surgery if I go past 7.5 cm on either segment?
Powerlifting, aside from Physics or my religion, is the most important thing in my life. I'm willing to take 6-8 months or so out of my powerlifting life if it means adding three inches of height, but I have to know that, assuming there are no complications, I can return to powerlifting again, and eventually become stronger than I used to be.

So, here is my question to those whom have experience with this. Has leg lengthening permanently impaired your ability in the bench press, squat, or deadlift? I include the bench press because the legs actually do contribute in lifting the weight.
“If you're afraid - don't do it, - if you're doing it - don't be afraid!” ― Genghis Khan

172 cm in the morning (67.8"); 170 cm (67”) at night; Sitting Height: 96 cm (37.8”); Goal: 184.5 cm (6'0.7"); Ultimate Goal: 192 cm (6’3.5) morning height, 190 cm (6’3) “night” height
Future space tycoon

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
Re: Limb Lengthening and the Big three powerlifting lifts!
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 07:12:57 PM »

I don't do those big three, but my 7.5cm didn't affect my ability to do leg presses.

ReadRothbard

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 07:14:22 PM »

So you don't have any squatting experience?
“If you're afraid - don't do it, - if you're doing it - don't be afraid!” ― Genghis Khan

172 cm in the morning (67.8"); 170 cm (67”) at night; Sitting Height: 96 cm (37.8”); Goal: 184.5 cm (6'0.7"); Ultimate Goal: 192 cm (6’3.5) morning height, 190 cm (6’3) “night” height
Future space tycoon

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 07:48:43 PM »

Correct.  If you must know, it's because my arms are too weak to hold up a barbell heavy enough to challenge my legs. :-[

ReadRothbard

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 08:14:20 PM »

Lol why don't you just try back squats?

Future space tycoon

Sweden

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 04:56:05 AM »

I guess I can contribute to this topic.

I did ~7cm and I'm more of a gym rat than ever before. I do squats and leg press, dead lifts and bench press just like before but the only difference is that my legs are weaker than before but that's only bc I haven't been dedicated to the gym like I am today.

Before LL I had too strong legs for Taekwondo. Even today I'm now stronger than most of my team mates in the leg press machine but equally strong in the altar at the gym(squat rack).

I can squat "ass to the grass" but I don't have full range of motion in my ankles so it has happened that I fell back a couple of times. My heels get up in the air bc my ankles are too tight. My coach helps me with balance and I've ordered power lifting shoes with a little lift inside them. But I can't say I like the idea of having lifts in my shoes.
I think it's better without them to force my heels down in order to get full ROM back again.

The last ROM is very difficult to get back since you almost never press your feet that far.

Performing squats in an accurate way helps your legs form back to what they used to be. I still have a little bit x-legs left but it's much better than what it used to be.

My advice to you is to do MAXIMUM 5.5cm. I can surely say to you that I regret doing 7cm. It is just too much, especially for tibias. My recovery is very good but I suffered like crazy and I still have problems whenever I shall stand up. The ache goes away but it is still there.

I also advice you not to split the patellar tendon in your knees. That will keep you from sitting down on your knees for more than a minute or so. Also if you do 7,5cm than your calf muscle will grow to what is unnatural for your body and when sitting down on your knees the bump in your calf won't be aligned to your hamstring muscle and it just feels awkward.
There will be space between your heels and your ass if you do 7,5cm.

You can forget about jumping quickly and the explosive power will be all gone if you go for 7,5cm.

If all of this doesn't bother you then go ahead but it will also affect your natural pull when doing dead lifts. And it's not for the better.
173cm before LL with Sarin, jan -13. Now 180cm tall. Considering 5cm on femurs.

ReadRothbard

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 06:14:50 AM »

What do you think about 6-6.5 cm?

Future space tycoon

Sweden

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 06:37:36 AM »

What do you think about 6-6.5 cm?

I think 5,5 is already 0,5 too much.
173cm before LL with Sarin, jan -13. Now 180cm tall. Considering 5cm on femurs.

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 07:20:57 AM »

Dr Dhawan told me his limit for LON was 5 cm and that you "have to be less greedy" with LON than you can be with hexapod externals, which he'd allow up to 7 cm. Maybe TSF type exfix allows more freedom in how much you can lengthen? Then again Dr Parihar has a 6 cm max for either one so maybe the method doesn't matter in how much you can safely lengthen tibs before getting permanent drawbacks.
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

programdude

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2014, 10:10:54 AM »

My physical therapist and I were talking about lifts and when it came to talking about squats he said "yeah you probably won't be able to squat like that again", and I believe him, so i wouldn't expect to put up record squats post op.

Deadlift I couldn't say, but bench will of course remain unaffected. I feel very strong so thats not a problem, Its probably gonna more come down to biomechanics whats possible and not.
Dr. Paley Patient- Surgery completed successfully on July 22nd
My Diary for those who want a real play by play to know what to expect:http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=733.0

Starting height: 5 8
End Height-:5 11 +

ForcedPuberty

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2014, 09:36:42 PM »

can people ask their doctors what effect humerus lengthening has on their bench press?

will it make bench press easier or harder.

and please give me your doctors opinions. thank you.
Nope, 20cm is just nope.

"because FP's the hero LL Forum deserves, but not the one is needs right now. So we'll hunt him, because he can take it. because hes not the hero. He's a silent gardian, watchfull protector. The Dark Knight."

ReadRothbard

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2014, 10:40:42 PM »

Humerus lengthening will make bench pressing and military pressing harder, because longer arms increase the range of motion on these exercises. I cannot speak of physiologically-caused impairments, though.

Future space tycoon
Pages: [1]   Go Up