Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: walking without crutches and minimal pain at post op 5 days (lengthened 1.25mm)  (Read 7581 times)

ItsMyLife

Is this normal?

If I lengthen further, do I need walkers again?

I can put my walker far far away and just walk unaided.

It seems fine, I have tried walking to the toilet and back (about 30-40 metres) with my crutches far away..

Done this a few times today.

Will I need curthces again when I lengthen further??

Is this normal?

If I lengthen further, do I need walkers again?

I can put my walker far far away and just walk unaided.

It seems fine, I have tried walking to the toilet and back (about 30-40 metres) with my crutches far away..

Done this a few times today.

Will I need curthces again when I lengthen further??

Dude you need to calm down. Just listen to your doc and try to relax, stress is bad for you. Time will tell, just try to keep your calm because you are in for a long long ride, save your energy.

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member

I agree with 123.  Just pretend you're a baby in the doctor's care for the next few months.  Relax and let him worry about you.  That's how I got through my LL relatively easily compared to others.

ItsMyLife

HAHA I have no stress.

I am just very very excited. I seem do be doing quite well

But I don't know: once I lengthen another few mm, I cannot walk unaided anymore?

I actually cant sleep at night cos I am so excited.

And, you tend to think more, if you have a medical background!

ItsMyLife

UPDATE: heres my video of walking, I only lengthened 1.25 mm. Now I lengthen another 0.25 mm.
I can walk twice that distance. Just the room is small  :-\

KrP1

wow really nice video man . you walk pretty well . but i think you must relax by the moment . its too soon .

ItsMyLife

dr says, if I do walking and PT well, I will be able to walk without crutches even at 2 cm.

he encourages us to walk. (though nurses say its too soon!)

KrP1

from what i have read bagirov healt care of patients post-op is inexistent. so if you have bone malalignement during elongation , how will he correct it? will he have an apointment with you and make corrections?

ItsMyLife

from what i have read bagirov healt care of patients post-op is inexistent. so if you have bone malalignement during elongation , how will he correct it? will he have an apointment with you and make corrections?

I m  not too sure

He says I can fly back, and go back to him at 2 months after leaving Moscow.

By then I already will be at the last part of my lengthening phase. He says to stay a few days or a week.

Then, they will correct any problems!

I am engaging the help of a local orthopaedic surgeon, to do x-rays and follow-up. This will be in addition to being in contact with the Russian doctors.

If x-rays are needed, it will be done and x-rays will be sent to Russia.

KrP1

I m  not too sure

He says I can fly back, and go back to him at 2 months after leaving Moscow.

By then I already will be at the last part of my lengthening phase. He says to stay a few days or a week.

Then, they will correct any problems!

I am engaging the help of a local orthopaedic surgeon, to do x-rays and follow-up. This will be in addition to being in contact with the Russian doctors.

If x-rays are needed, it will be done and x-rays will be sent to Russia.

be in contact with a local orthopaedic surgeon is a good choice, he will be helpfull during your journey . so i hope you have a good experience with your lengthening buddy

ItsMyLife

yes! bagirov provides a non-opiate painkiller which has been proven as effective as tramadol, if not better!

I am very excited. because, at the later stages 5-8 cm, it might be difficult to lengthen. Then I might either a) use the opiate painkiller or b) use BOTH opiate and non-opiate painkillers.

Since the last stage of lengthening is only 1 month, it is OK to use opiates.

and then I will taper down.

having a medical background is very useful.

KrP1

whats your sitting height? , 8 cm sounds like a lot of lengthening to have a full recovery from tibia lenghtening. you have a relative tall initial height. do you think you shouldnt be happy doing 6cm?

ItsMyLife

after talking to friend, I think it is better to listen to my body.

if my body allows and with pharmaceutical help, I can reach 8 cm, why not??

I think my growth plates fused recently too. even though I am 25, I grew 1-2 cm in the last few years.

since the bone incision is where the epiphyseal growth plates are, I mighttttt be able to heal faster and better.

I live in a country where the average height is 172.4, officially. a hospital even checked up on 18 year olds and the average was also about 172.

But the university I go to, I don't know, there are so many guys above 178. Average isn't everything. In fact, there are quite a few 180s and 190s.

I also play basketball and I wanna try being taller :) not too tall though, because 3 standard deviations from the average (in mycountry that is 185 cm) will make you 'abnormal height" according to Paley.

KrP1

after talking to friend, I think it is better to listen to my body.

if my body allows and with pharmaceutical help, I can reach 8 cm, why not??

I think my growth plates fused recently too. even though I am 25, I grew 1-2 cm in the last few years.

since the bone incision is where the epiphyseal growth plates are, I mighttttt be able to heal faster and better.

I live in a country where the average height is 172.4, officially. a hospital even checked up on 18 year olds and the average was also about 172.

But the university I go to, I don't know, there are so many guys above 178. Average isn't everything. In fact, there are quite a few 180s and 190s.

I also play basketball and I wanna try being taller :) not too tall though, because 3 standard deviations from the average (in mycountry that is 185 cm) will make you 'abnormal height" according to Paley.

it would be almost imposible to have a full recovery doing 8cm in tibias, you say you play basketball so i think you would play better doing 6cm than doing 8cm , not all is height your athletic hability is more important for sports.

sadboy

I'm actually surprised you can manage to walk this early, well done. I hope the Paley patients are allowed to walk as well, this early and without support.

By the way, since you where worried before about your six pack, it looks great, I guess there is no need to stress about that for now.

ItsMyLife

it would be almost imposible to have a full recovery doing 8cm in tibias, you say you play basketball so i think you would play better doing 6cm than doing 8cm , not all is height your athletic hability is more important for sports.

yes but according to my doctors, it will be ok to play basketball 1-2 years after surgery.

I think, I will consider, if I have major difficulty at 5-6 cm.

If no difficulty at 5-6 cm, I will go for 8 cm.

And then 4 cm at femur.

I don't know my sitting height. I am more concerned about my short arms :D I have an average American leg length, so I presume I have a short torso? I don't know maybe you can see from video.

NOt really concerned about the torso-leg proportions, because you can always dress differently

ItsMyLife

Sadboy:

have you done your surgery yet?

Do you know any other patients who can walk at post op day 5/6?

I lengthened 1.5 mm already and I can still walk, without much discomfort. No walker needed...

Dr says if I work very hard, I can continue walking unaided!

I think I recovering quite well cos of nutritional supplement. also because I do sports, and eat healthy. even though I am 25, I look 19-20 only. no smoking, no drinking. and I did yoga a few years ago, so I am pretty flexible. I hope I can heal well.

sadboy

Sadboy:

have you done your surgery yet?

Do you know any other patients who can walk at post op day 5/6?

I lengthened 1.5 mm already and I can still walk, without much discomfort. No walker needed...

Dr says if I work very hard, I can continue walking unaided!

I think I recovering quite well cos of nutritional supplement. also because I do sports, and eat healthy. even though I am 25, I look 19-20 only. no smoking, no drinking. and I did yoga a few years ago, so I am pretty flexible. I hope I can heal well.

Well I'm doing my surgery soon but I still have time. You remind me of myself because I don't drink either nor smoke, I am very flexible and I also eat healthy.

For the walking bit, I heard that most doctors make their patients walk at least the second day post op so you are not the only one. It is still surprising to me though after such a surgery for people to walk this early. Other than that are you feeling any pain when walking? Or generally?

KrP1

how are you going to do 4cm in femurs? internal metod?

ItsMyLife

To sadboy: second day post-op, most patients walk with Crutches. I could walk with crutches on the first day. But the nurses told me to rest.

I think only one person I know can walk without crutches....

he could only do so until 0.8 mm of lengthening. but now I  am 1.5 mm lengthening and I can still walk (I can walk faster than the video too)

so I am wondering is this normal to walk unaided 5-6 days after op. And when will I be unable to walk?

ItsMyLife

@KirP1: External. Bagirov is confident of doing 4 cm externally. Should be cheap and rapid. INternal... I rather save the money for cars.

KrP1

@KirP1: External. Bagirov is confident of doing 4 cm externally. Should be cheap and rapid. INternal... I rather save the money for cars.

how many time in total lengthening/consolidation will take to do 4cm external femurs with baguirov?

ItsMyLife

I'm
Not sure..

I'm not even seriously considering it yet

But bAgirov says the 4cm make me perfect proportion

Best for sports !

:)

Femurs have a shorter time :)

ItsMyLife

update my walking video at 2 mm lengthening without aid, and dorsiflexion 20 degrees -30 degrees

Pages: [1]   Go Up