Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: just basic questions  (Read 1164 times)

tx1111

just basic questions
« on: November 28, 2014, 09:40:45 AM »

Hello

I need some clarification on a few things.

I have been preparing for about 8 months to do conventional Illzarov lengthening on tibias.
I believe I am mentally prepared to go the full length of time conventional Illzarov requires but I am curious about LON and LATN.

I have not really considered these because I dont like the idea of a metal bar going thru my knee but when reading about these it states that these methods of lengthening can reduce the time required to wear frames by 40 to 60%. 

What i need clarification is this. In the conventional Illzarov method for a 6 cm gain, a healthy adult male will spend around 60 to 80 days lengthening and about another 4 months consolidating before they are truly "done" with the procedure. Those 7 to 8 months, they are wearing the frames which I heard is the most stressful aspect of conventional Illzarov method. Then you have another 6 months to a year to get back to almost normal*.
Im not entirely sure of this post procedure healing/recovery time frame, im just basing this off stuff i have seen in the forums but dont know where exactly to check back to ensure if its 100% correct. If anyone can correct me based off of experience or credible source please do so

In the LON and LATN methods everything I read says(if I am understanding correctly) that lengthening with these types of methods only ensures that you do not have to wear the frames for more than 4 months(assuming a 6 cm gain on a healthy afult male with little or no complications). 

Does that mean once the frames are off and you are consolidating with the nails in you are basically in the post procedure "Recovering back to almost normal" phase I was speculating about?

Or does that mean it is basically the same time length as the conventional Illzarov method the only diffrence being that you dont have to wear frames for 4+ months? Also once the frames are off, are you still crippled while consolidating if this is the case?

I am asking this because if LON and LATN exist mainly to pacify the mental anguish of having to wear frames for an extended peiod of time then it is not worth it to me for the increased price and the possibility of permanent complications.

All that was basically question number 1, now here is my second one. I searched everywhere on both forums and cannot find a detailed or maybe even dumbed down explanation of what "duckass" is, what can be done to avoid it before or during lengthening and if I do get it, how can i treat it/make it go away.

Question 3

I read about ballerina foot and the tendon realease surgery. I am aware that a strict physio regiment can ensure you avoid or treat ballerina foot. I have been wearing lifts for about 7 years every day so I think my tendon is probably already shorter than it should be and once I get the tibia lengthening they will be even shorter. I am speculating and base my assumptions on nothing other than my own personal paranoia. Can someone who knows more about this/has experience on the subject clarify?

I will definetly follow a strict exersice regiment not just to try to avoid ballerina foot but to stay in shape but I think despite that I will still need the tendon release surgery.

to anyone who had the patience to read all that, thanks

To anyone who answers. Thanks even more

By the way some people were saying they have issues with visas to russia. I will most likely be going to the Illzarov center and they help you get a 3 year multiple entry visa if you are a US citizen(and maybe EU also not sure though). You can stay up to 6 consecutive months and they said that they can help apply for extension. I am not sure about the extension of visa but I will ask during my consultation.

What I do know will work(and what I was initiallypllanning in doing anyways) is go to Russia, get the op done and stay there for 5.5 months. By then I should be out of the major complication time frame and comfortable witht the frames. After 5.5 months I would fly back to US and stay for a week, then go back to Russia. I verified this with the Russian consulate and the Illzarov center and it says on their website that explains the visa agreement between US and Russia.

The downside is getting on the plane with those things but. Not everything is meant to be easy, it just has to get done.

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
Re: just basic questions
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 06:48:28 PM »

With LON/LATN, you are pretty much back to normal with the nails in.

Duckass is the equivalent of ballerina foot for tibia patients: i.e. what happens if you lengthen the bones too much/too fast with the muscles and tendons not being able to keep up.  The patient's rear end sticks out and they walk like a duck until the muscles catch up.

Achilles tendon release surgery makes the tendon longer but weakens in permanently.  It's something to be avoided.

tx1111

Re: just basic questions
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 05:36:47 PM »

Thanks for response. I will have tk ensure i aviud tendon release.
Pages: [1]   Go Up