Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Is an athlete a good LL candidate?  (Read 24869 times)

LittleWhiteMan

Is an athlete a good LL candidate?
« on: October 28, 2014, 12:48:28 AM »

Let's discuss about the effects of LL in athletic/fit people, either bodybuilders, or just average jogrunners. I am wondering how much would my condition would be affected if I get 6-7.5 cm in both my femur and tibias.
5'1", 100 lbs

Taller

Re: Is an athlete a good LL candidate?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 01:11:08 AM »

You'll probably be worse at sports, especially if you lengthen tibiae or use external fixators. It's a simple as that.

Wannabegiant

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 01:17:44 AM »

You'll probably be worse at sports, especially if you lengthen tibiae or use external fixators. It's a simple as that.

I think in the end, femur lengthening and internals would negatively affect your ability at sports just as much as external methods and tibial lengthening would.

ReadRothbard

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 01:22:35 AM »

Dr. Paley says that his patients seem to fully-recover their athletic abilities, but you obviously have to be willing to put in the work to recover them. Luckily, I'm mostly only concerned with muscular strength and power, and that you can gain back pretty quickly after consolidation.
“If you're afraid - don't do it, - if you're doing it - don't be afraid!” ― Genghis Khan

172 cm in the morning (67.8"); 170 cm (67”) at night; Sitting Height: 96 cm (37.8”); Goal: 184.5 cm (6'0.7"); Ultimate Goal: 192 cm (6’3.5) morning height, 190 cm (6’3) “night” height
Future space tycoon

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 01:24:35 AM »

If you're bone is completely healed and your doc did everything fine, there will be no negative effects at all.

Taller

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 01:43:54 AM »

If you're bone is completely healed and your doc did everything fine, there will be no negative effects at all.

The bone has nothing to do with the fact that many patients don't fully recover. The problem is that the nerves and muscles are artificially stretched after puberty and sometimes fail to adapt completely to their new length.

ReadRothbard

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 02:28:57 AM »

I only imagine that would be in cases of extremely fast lengthening (over 1 mm a day) or with extreme amounts of lengthening (10 cm or more per segment)? Most of the research I've read has found minimal nervous damage/dysfunction from ll (in studies where there were pre and post op nerve function tests).
“If you're afraid - don't do it, - if you're doing it - don't be afraid!” ― Genghis Khan

172 cm in the morning (67.8"); 170 cm (67”) at night; Sitting Height: 96 cm (37.8”); Goal: 184.5 cm (6'0.7"); Ultimate Goal: 192 cm (6’3.5) morning height, 190 cm (6’3) “night” height
Future space tycoon

GROWtalORdieTRYING1

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 02:58:16 AM »

I think LL affects the ability to lift weights the least compared to all the different athletic activities it can affect.

lifting weights is more to do with raw power and not agile movements.

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 09:30:29 AM »

The bone has nothing to do with the fact that many patients don't fully recover. The problem is that the nerves and muscles are artificially stretched after puberty and sometimes fail to adapt completely to their new length.

That only happens to people who were too dumb to do physio. If you stretch enough, there won't be any problems at all.

Uppland

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 11:09:18 AM »

I thought the concensus was that ll is a trade off. You gain some height and lose some athletic ability. I for one has accepted that I will never be quite as agile, explosive or fast as could have been. Leaning towards 4,5 cm femur with Guichet I really like his focus on recovery, if I can match Shyshy's post op experience I'm fine. As long as I can still run, walk and climb for as long as other people I don't mind a little extra effort.

Since muscle stretching is a big issue wouldn't athletes have a tougher time seeing as they're muscles are bigger. Also even if you recover you soft tissues completely your legs might be misaligned; if your femurs are too long for your tibias you'll have some issues and vice ersa.

LittleWhiteMan

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 01:36:27 PM »

I only ask this because perhaps all of us have heard about Messi having had LL and I was wondering how he was able to be such a great soccer player (I do kind of agree that he had LL or some type of procedure to increase height because he is nearly 169 cm, not even 170 so I am curious on that).
5'1", 100 lbs

LittleWhiteMan

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2014, 01:39:38 PM »

I am 154-155 cm and done growing on my legs and I am a good runner, I get tired easily however. I was thinking on doing 7.5 cm on each segment to be at least 170 cm tall (the average height most of you are and consider "short"), as well as lengthening 1 inch per arm (my armspan is like 5'3" and I guess a 5'5" wouldnt seem bad on a 5'7" tall guy).
5'1", 100 lbs

TRS

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2014, 01:42:10 PM »

I only ask this because perhaps all of us have heard about Messi having had LL and I was wondering how he was able to be such a great soccer player (I do kind of agree that he had LL or some type of procedure to increase height because he is nearly 169 cm, not even 170 so I am curious on that).
He had HGH treatment, apparently funded by Barcelona FC.

GROWtalORdieTRYING1

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2014, 01:51:58 PM »

5"7 is not short.

I am 5"7 I have never been called short.

at this height, you are in the category of "your not short, but if only you were taller"

it is a very good height, and at this height if your other attributes are much greater than average then you will actually have more respect than taller guys. below 5"7 is where the real discrimination starts, when you are below 5"7, even if you have other attributes, a lot of girls will still not care and disregard those other attributes without even considering them because of height.

even 5"6 is probably a decent height, but still no where as good as 5"7.

ReadRothbard

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2014, 01:59:21 PM »

Lifting weights, especially with explosiveness, does aid in promoting agility, though.  :)

Future space tycoon

ReadRothbard

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2014, 02:02:39 PM »

I thought the concensus was that ll is a trade off. You gain some height and lose some athletic ability. I for one has accepted that I will never be quite as agile, explosive or fast as could have been. Leaning towards 4,5 cm femur with Guichet I really like his focus on recovery, if I can match Shyshy's post op experience I'm fine. As long as I can still run, walk and climb for as long as other people I don't mind a little extra effort.

Since muscle stretching is a big issue wouldn't athletes have a tougher time seeing as they're muscles are bigger. Also even if you recover you soft tissues completely your legs might be misaligned; if your femurs are too long for your tibias you'll have some issues and vice ersa.

I wouldn't say that is the consensus. There seems to be a few schools of thought on that issue; some say that ll does impair athletic abilities, some say they don't if you stay within the safe limit of 5-7.6 cm per segment (old forum A seemed to believe this one), and others, like myself, believe some individuals, with proper preparation, a reasonable distraction rate, PT, etc. can reach 10 cm and still recover athletic abilities (at least muscular strength and power).

Future space tycoon

ReadRothbard

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2014, 02:05:57 PM »

You actually might be able to reach 5'8 or more depending on your body type. Of course, you wouldn't know for sure unless you did a consultation. Also, I doubt ll would affect your jogging in the long-term; athletic ability impairment from ll, if it exists, would likely only noticeably affect elite or serious amateur athletes.

Future space tycoon

YellowSpike

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2014, 02:49:54 PM »

5"7 is not short.

I am 5"7 I have never been called short.

at this height, you are in the category of "your not short, but if only you were taller"

it is a very good height, and at this height if your other attributes are much greater than average then you will actually have more respect than taller guys. below 5"7 is where the real discrimination starts, when you are below 5"7, even if you have other attributes, a lot of girls will still not care and disregard those other attributes without even considering them because of height.

even 5"6 is probably a decent height, but still no where as good as 5"7.

I'm around 5'6", and I thank God that I have facial aesthetics. I'd never get laid by attractive women without them. Still, I think anything under 5'8" (5'7" is really pushing it) is on the bad side of things. I think I just need like 2-2.5 inches to get into the safe zone. For me, anything over that is just gravy, even though I'd potentially be leaving some height on the table.

Uppland

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2014, 04:55:49 PM »

Let's not sink into lament over how bad it is to be short. Most people know that one short guy that wrecks havoc with the ladies. One of my best friend is barely 170CM and he is seriously a modern day casanova. It's far from a death sentence to be short and I think LittleWhiteMan will have a great life at 5'7 he sounds like he has the right attitude.

Edit -170Cm is 11CM below average in Sweden so you'll be fine in america.

YellowSpike

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2014, 06:16:54 PM »

Let's not sink into lament over how bad it is to be short. Most people know that one short guy that wrecks havoc with the ladies. One of my best friend is barely 170CM and he is seriously a modern day casanova. It's far from a death sentence to be short and I think LittleWhiteMan will have a great life at 5'7 he sounds like he has the right attitude.

Edit -170Cm is 11CM below average in Sweden so you'll be fine in america.

Agreed on all fronts. If I were 170cm/5'7", I would probably not be considering LL. I'd say that would be my hard cut off. If you're 5'7" and have other things going for you, you should be fine.

PrettyTall

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2014, 07:29:25 PM »

166 and if I can get to 173 it will be very fine to me

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2014, 07:39:32 PM »

166 and if I can get to 173 it will be very fine to me

Yeah, the jump from around 165cm to around 175cm is HUGE. I did that and I benefited a lot from it. You go from really short to average, that's amazing.

YellowSpike

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2014, 08:09:23 PM »

Yeah honestly, I think going from the mid 160s to the low/mid 170s is one of the biggest, if not the THE biggest increase in quality of life a guy can get from LL.

I'd say second would be the low/mid 170s to the low 180s. But going for very short to average/slightly short is huge. That's why for me, starting at 166.5/167, I would only ever do one LL. 173 is my goal. Anything else is just gravy.

Blackhawk

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2014, 10:46:56 PM »

I agree^^  I am 167 right now and am usually the shortest guy around.  175 is not a bad height - it's not short, just average which isn't bad unless you're trying to date girls who are over 180.

PrettyTall

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2014, 11:27:47 PM »

Yeah, the jump from around 165cm to around 175cm is HUGE. I did that and I benefited a lot from it. You go from really short to average, that's amazing.

You did external ?

YellowSpike

« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2014, 12:45:11 AM »

I agree^^  I am 167 right now and am usually the shortest guy around.  175 is not a bad height - it's not short, just average which isn't bad unless you're trying to date girls who are over 180.

Yeah but I've noticed that many women who are like 5'10" are willing to date down to about 5'8". I honestly think even at 173 most guys should be fine as long as they're not butt ugly and they take care of themselves.

YellowSpike

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2014, 01:15:00 AM »

Going from 162cm to 169cm has been one of the most satisfying experience. I will be the happiest man after my second tibia surgery and at 5'8 height would not matter anymore. I'll be confident as a 6'2 person lol ;D 
I have seen women date shorter guys, one of them is my neighbour lol. She is around 5'11-6'0 and she is married to a 5'9 guy. I must say she is very attractive and the guy has a very nice personality.

Good for you man! I would almost say even at 169cm, you could even get away with that without another LL. But yeah, 5'8" is the start of "average" to many, even though it's still on the short side. It's just not so noticeable at that point anymore.

Blackhawk

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2014, 02:02:18 AM »

Yeah but I've noticed that many women who are like 5'10" are willing to date down to about 5'8". I honestly think even at 173 most guys should be fine as long as they're not butt ugly and they take care of themselves.

I have noticed that too.  Dating a man that is shorter usually isn't a big deal as long as the guy isn't short.

Uppland

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2014, 08:31:39 AM »

I have noticed that too.  Dating a man that is shorter usually isn't a big deal as long as the guy isn't short.

I think it's more about how tall the woman is. Tall girls usually relax their height "requirements", probably because they get used to being taller than alot of men they meet.

Most girls are really short though so 5'7 is fine.

« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2014, 09:33:28 AM »

GROWtalORdieTRYING1

« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2014, 01:07:25 PM »

for girls, after they go above 5"9.5 they start to loose significant value.

they become less attractive, and by attractive I mean less sought after, less desirable, of less worth.

height is a bell shape curve.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up