Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do the pins and wires on externals stop hurting after distraction is over?  (Read 1406 times)

Dick Dastardly

• Visitor

I'm aware that part of the problem with externals is the pain from skin tearing along with general discomfort having pins and/or wires going through your legs. Is this only during distraction though? Externals sound appealing for their cheaper cost but if you're constantly in pain from your pins and wires during consolidation for 4 or 5 months I think I'd rather go LON. However if they're not that noticeable in terms of pain during consolidation then maybe it would be worth wearing externals longer.

Can anybody who had external frames or are currently wearing them and consolidating weigh in on this?

Wannabegiant

Yes, the pain pretty much went away completely after distraction was over for me, of course it can hurt still when walking at the beginning of the consolidation phase but that should go away too eventually.

Im sure if you get an infection in the consolidation phase it will hurt a lot too, but that didnt happen to me.

It looks like some people experienced it differently but my opinion on this is that the more you move your leg the more problems you will get with the pins.

When I was distracting I only had problems with my pins when I did extensive physio, which was rarely because distraction is tiring. The more and more I was allowed to walk unaided, the more problems I got with my pins. I had to have both of my half-pins (one on each leg) removed because of ugly infections which occurred after 1-2 hour of walking (+ normal walking and physio during the whole day). And my doc also told me that the longer you have the exfix on your legs the more problems you will get, because your body wants to get rid of it.

So in conclusion, if you want less problems with your pins, walk less. But then again your bone consolidation will be worse... 

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil

It looks like some people experienced it differently but my opinion on this is that the more you move your leg the more problems you will get with the pins.

When I was distracting I only had problems with my pins when I did extensive physio, which was rarely because distraction is tiring. The more and more I was allowed to walk unaided, the more problems I got with my pins. I had to have both of my half-pins (one on each leg) removed because of ugly infections which occurred after 1-2 hour of walking (+ normal walking and physio during the whole day). And my doc also told me that the longer you have the exfix on your legs the more problems you will get, because your body wants to get rid of it.

So in conclusion, if you want less problems with your pins, walk less. But then again your bone consolidation will be worse...

I think this is generally true as it's been the same for me. I got three wire infections during my second week of the physiotherapist coming to the hotel and they were at wires by the knee where there was the most movement. Made my leg extension exercises hell because of the pain that the infections caused. Thank goodness for antibiotics.
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

I think this is generally true as it's been the same for me. I got three wire infections during my second week of the physiotherapist coming to the hotel and they were at wires by the knee where there was the most movement. Made my leg extension exercises hell because of the pain that the infections caused. Thank goodness for antibiotics.

Ask him to take them out if your bone is strong enough, it will save you a lot of trouble and pain.
Pages: [1]   Go Up