Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gait and the Windlass Effect  (Read 1143 times)

Polycrates.

• Tyrant and Legatus Augusti pro praetore of LL Forum
Gait and the Windlass Effect
« on: October 03, 2014, 12:36:32 PM »

So,

I managed to get a consultation with a podiatrist to examine my feet in the States, since I'm in the country for the week. My main concern was the issue that I've had with my left toe since the initial surgery date. While the toe was completely paralysed and immobile at that time, it has since come back to a certain extent.

My right toe can extend upward 70 degrees, but my left one can only extend 30 degrees. He gave me some exercises and advised me to seek out a podiatrist back home as soon as possible to determine root causes and more permanent corrections. I won't be able to do that until mid-Novemeber.

He also stressed to me the importance of having a functional hallucis extensor as it relates to gait and proper bio-mechanics. He said it is why I limp when I walk, because the foot is unable to place the tendons in their loaded states and allow the foot to roll off the toe. He said if I don't have it corrected, I'll develop a plethora of ailments extending from toe all the way to the neck, as the body compensates for the deformity.

What's upsetting to me is that Sringari tried to soothe my qualms by telling me it is a "passive muscle" that will have no bearing on my walking mechanics. It really wasn't a concern to him. I told the podiatrist this and he just grinned and shook his head. Sringari pretty much discredited his whole education by making that statement it seems.

The good news is that since it is not completely disabled, he believes there is a good chance at re-obtaining full range of motion. He also advised me to undergo a nerve conduction test and ultrasound to verify the integrity of the peroneal and tibial nerves. He said he cannot diagnose the root cause without these tests, but said something was definitely botched during surgery.

http://rhbandphysicalmedicine.blogspot.com/2011/09/halux-limitus-rigidus-big-toe-rules.html
Tibial LON for 6cm- Nov 2013, Dr Sringari -177/178cm to 183/184cm
Prospective Femoral Lengthening w/ Precise 3 (if out) Nail for 7cm- Jan 2019, Dr Birkholtz -183/184cm to 190/191cm

And it was here that he professed to his disciples: all of life's bounties lay somewhere upon the dreaded bell curve

Overdozer

Re: Gait and the Windlass Effect
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 02:37:11 PM »

Good one. I actually focus a lot working on my feet extension, but never toes specifically, though they're not paralyzed. I'll start working on them.
Pre-surgery - 167 cm, Post-surgery - 181 cm
Final arm span - 177 cm, Sitting height - 90 cm

Lengthened 7.5 cm in tibias and femurs and 3.5 cm in each humerus. Surgeries performed all external by Dr. Kulesh, in Saint-Petersburg, Russia - http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=1671.0

Polycrates.

• Tyrant and Legatus Augusti pro praetore of LL Forum
Re: Gait and the Windlass Effect
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 04:23:57 PM »

Yeah,

It's not something you'd think about and you take it for granted unless you've been afflicted with an injury to it. The big toe especially is instrumental to proper bio-mechanics and foot stability in shoes, and becomes even more so when barefoot. I know a bunch of Sarin's patients had disabled toes from nerve damage and what not, but out of Sringari's ten real patents, I was the only when with paralysis. Kind of sucks for me in that regard, but I wouldn't wish it on anyone else.
Tibial LON for 6cm- Nov 2013, Dr Sringari -177/178cm to 183/184cm
Prospective Femoral Lengthening w/ Precise 3 (if out) Nail for 7cm- Jan 2019, Dr Birkholtz -183/184cm to 190/191cm

And it was here that he professed to his disciples: all of life's bounties lay somewhere upon the dreaded bell curve
Pages: [1]   Go Up