Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: when should you start weight bearing  (Read 1058 times)

GROWtalORdieTRYING1

when should you start weight bearing
« on: October 02, 2014, 02:33:46 PM »

If hydroxyapatite screws are used, we recommend limiting weight bearing to 20–30% bodyweight in the first 6 weeks after surgery to permit bonding between the screws and bone. Thereafter, the patient is permitted to bear weight as tolerated; this functional loading is known to increase the blood supply through the limb [8].

Physiotherapy regimes assist in the gradual and supervised return of weight bearing as well as maintenance of joint movement range and control. Lengthening for congenital pathologies deserves special mention; the soft tissues are most resistant to lengthening, and it is advisable to keep the target lengthening to less than 15% of the original length of the limb.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2994627/    page 5

I have started to come to the opinion that full weight bearing within the first 6 weeks should be avoided. I have heard several doctors say this now. what do people think about this issue. when do people think is the most beneficial time to start short duration full weight bearing. I also think that if you are lengthening femurs or tibia with monorail that it is further incentive to not use full weight bearing even if the nail states that it has full weight bearing capacity. the last thing you want is a misalignment(with monorails) if it can be avoided by not weight bearing more than 30%.

opinions?

Overdozer

Re: when should you start weight bearing
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 02:47:09 PM »

Internal-problems, lol. I started weight bearing 100% right after I woke up after the surgery. I could walk without crutches too. Weight bearing is also proven to increase blood supply and callus formation. Also, by walking without crutches or at least with them and not with walker you're increasing muscle usage and thus preventing them from atrophying.

EDIT: Oops, it's about rail-fixators. Well, they're just as bad for weight bearing as internals, I guess.
Pre-surgery - 167 cm, Post-surgery - 181 cm
Final arm span - 177 cm, Sitting height - 90 cm

Lengthened 7.5 cm in tibias and femurs and 3.5 cm in each humerus. Surgeries performed all external by Dr. Kulesh, in Saint-Petersburg, Russia - http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=1671.0

ReadRothbard

Re: when should you start weight bearing
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 07:39:02 PM »

It is really going to totally depend on what technique you are using. You can generally start weight-bearing pretty early with internals, especially PRECICE or the Guichet nail.
“If you're afraid - don't do it, - if you're doing it - don't be afraid!” ― Genghis Khan

172 cm in the morning (67.8"); 170 cm (67”) at night; Sitting Height: 96 cm (37.8”); Goal: 184.5 cm (6'0.7"); Ultimate Goal: 192 cm (6’3.5) morning height, 190 cm (6’3) “night” height
Future space tycoon
Pages: [1]   Go Up